Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #31
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
"try not to flood this thread with negative responses. take that shit to Jo Momma"

sorry, but that comes across as RUDE!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #32
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Takes a little longer to heat up than a Jetboil but as a canoe camper that has found too many of those fuel bottles in the campfire pit I have an inbred hatred of all canister stoves.
I am a long way from some sort of freak who bags his dirty toiletpaper and takes it home. I happily burn most things if I have a fire*, but I can guarantee, after a fire, there will be no sign that I was there. I have never been able to fathom how someone who enjoys the outdoors can leave the fuel canisters in the remains of their campfire. They weigh next to nothing, they take up very little space, they're not dirty, you had enough space to carry them out with you. Would it kill these people to take them home with them?

*even tin cans, to clean them in a water-conserving manner, before hammering them flat in the morning with a rock and taking them back with me.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #33
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
im a big bike camper, (anyway you want to look at it, 6'2", 220lb, 550lb 1000cc bike) and in europe its difficult to camp where you cant find a shop, so i dont actually pack much food apart from a few sauces and spices. dont need to lug a table or have a huge range bolted to the back of the bike, i use a trangia stove on the ground.

and there is absolutely no excuse to leave trash about, put it in a shopping bag, tie it to the bike somewhere and dump it when you pass a bin.
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #34
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Well thought out set up Peteostatic. You have pricey stuff but many of us buy something hoping it will work for our needs knowing we should have spent a little extra to begin with 'cause we gonna sooner or later anyway. Good job.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #35
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Well thought out set up Peteostatic. You have pricey stuff but many of us buy something hoping it will work for our needs knowing we should have spent a little extra to begin with 'cause we gonna sooner or later anyway. Good job.
Thanks Tom. For me, it was even more pricey because I did go the cheaper route several times before I ultimately ended up with what I have now. A lot of it is trial and error and what works for you. I love these threads for that. It is great seeing what ideas people have come up with and what works for them.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I am in a similar situation to you. I am about to get a 525 and am planning some long camping trips in the summer. I have done 30 day solo camping trips out of a backpack so am due to be taking similar gear. My tent was a Ultimate Hobo but it died after about 25 years of service :( Getting a hilleberg Nallo2 to replace it. If you want a tent to last 25 years, Hilleberg make pretty damn good tents! The nallo 2 is a 2 person so I didn't go for the lightest available but its a similar weight to my old one.

For stoves, I have a sigg firejet (petrol/coleman fuel stove). It requires a bit of TLC if you don't want it to fireball on you but it works once you get use to its quirks. Might change it to a primus omnifuel.

Sleeping bags, I have a 3+ season rab down bag and a lightweight mountain gear 1 season synthetic bag. I am thinking I might want something in between for what I have planned as the rab is a lot larger!

I have ordered a promoto billet rack (currently wondering where that has got to?!), I plan on putting a Pelican case ontop as a top box. I plan on using ortlieb paniers as Ortlieb stuff is seriously solid and waterproof. I am expecting to take the bike and the bags to my friendly local welder and getting him to make me some supports for the panniers.

Also on my list, bigger tank and the HT oil cooler.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed Productions View Post
I am in a similar situation to you. I am about to get a 525 and am planning some long camping trips in the summer. I have done 30 day solo camping trips out of a backpack so am due to be taking similar gear. My tent was a Ultimate Hobo but it died after about 25 years of service :( Getting a hilleberg Nallo2 to replace it. If you want a tent to last 25 years, Hilleberg make pretty damn good tents! The nallo 2 is a 2 person so I didn't go for the lightest available but its a similar weight to my old one.

For stoves, I have a sigg firejet (petrol/coleman fuel stove). It requires a bit of TLC if you don't want it to fireball on you but it works once you get use to its quirks. Might change it to a primus omnifuel.

Sleeping bags, I have a 3+ season rab down bag and a lightweight mountain gear 1 season synthetic bag. I am thinking I might want something in between for what I have planned as the rab is a lot larger!

I have ordered a promoto billet rack (currently wondering where that has got to?!), I plan on putting a Pelican case ontop as a top box. I plan on using ortlieb paniers as Ortlieb stuff is seriously solid and waterproof. I am expecting to take the bike and the bags to my friendly local welder and getting him to make me some supports for the panniers.

Also on my list, bigger tank and the HT oil cooler.

before going to all the trouble paying someone to weld you support for saddle bags (i have the Ortlieb Dry Saddlebags) (i used those on my KLR650).
look at http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

i have the MoJavi http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...vitm-saddlebag and i plan on buying the Coyote http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/coyote-saddlebag soon.
i am also planning on buying the Wolfman number plate bag http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro..._carryall.html and using my tankbag http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/explorer_lite.html
so i think i'm covered when it comes to luggage.... now i need to put it all to use.
my camp gear is not complete yet.
i have the REI Dome2. not small, but comfy to store my gear out of the weather. i will probably look for something smaller (packed) and has a vestibule.
i have a Big Agnes sleeping bag http://www.rei.com/product/763873 and a Thermarest pad http://www.rei.com/product/797486 that slides into the bag.
i have a air pillow. http://www.rei.com/product/766035
titanium cook ware from REI http://www.rei.com/product/764178 is what i use to cook with. no need for the set. one is plenty.
i have the Fozzils plate/bowls http://www.rei.com/product/784601
i need a new burner because the last one DID NOT pack down small enough and when it was packed down, it would poke through EVERYTHING.
the MSR SuperFly.
i am looking at the Snow Peak http://www.rei.com/product/768603
or the MSR PocketRocket.

as far as my bike is concerned....

i have the HT oil cooler (larger oil capacity).
the Acerbis 6.6 gas tank.
Guts seat (softer than stock).
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #38
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Enjoying this thread immensely. As I put my rig on its weight loss program, a few things come to light as far as cooking gear, clothing and accessories that add enjoyment to my trips.

First off, I mostly ride in the Northern Rockies where it's hot during the day and cold at night and early morning. Not uncommon to see 30's/40's to near 100* day time temps. Extra clothing is always an issue, but I deal with that with a combination of wool and tech fabric. My rain gear - Olympia Tourmaster - doubles as an extra outer layer over my seasonal riding gear - Firstgear mesh pants/Rev-it ES jacket with removable liner.

Problematically, the rain gear takes up a lot of room. It's quality stuff and 100% waterproof, so it's mandatory for me to bring along. Won't take the chance with cheap gear in cold weather because it will fall apart (try it at 31* in West Yellowstone some July morning).

Sleeping at night requires at least a +20*f bag and I also take a Thermo-Reactor bag liner along. Bag is a Northface Cat's Meow, not down, so it's bigger than I want, but it also spends time on whitewater rafting trips where getting things wet is an issue. Pad is an Insulamat mummy shape and packs down fairly small as compared to a standard Thermarest. No pillow - just use some extra clothes. A word of caution - the Alaska Butt Pad is not recommended as a pillow after a years worth of riding.

I also fish a lot. The custom fly rod case I made out of plumbing PVC pipe is almost bullet proof, but it weighs a ton. Will be exploring other options as I sit here buried under two feet of snow and ice. I also don't really need to bring the whole fly vest and 200 flies along, so I'll be working on that concept too. All thoughts are welcome.

Cooking gear is an old MSR white gas stove that has served me well for more than 20 years. The fuel bottles are the problem. Currently suffering from Jetboil envy after riding this summer with people who had them. Am also a coffee junkie, so, with the Jetboil and press kit, I can unload the MSR, fuel bottles and coffee press.

Lodging is not an issue as I replaced the fiberglass poles on my Eureka Apex with aluminum ones 15 years ago when I was doing a lot of back packing in the mountains. It packs a little bigger than I like, but it's pretty light.

I've had the Ortlieb's on my bike and liked them a lot. Settled on the hard cases because I can lock them. They also help a lot with leverage to return the bike to an upright position when it is napping. I also carry my extra fuel and a netbook in them (another story).

Looking forward to more en-lightening info.

YAAK

Snr Moment screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 03:35 PM
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #39
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
I take pretty much the same stuff if I go for the weekend or a week, big bike or small.

Helix for a long weekend

TW200 for a week

Duc for 2 weeks
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #40
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 893
Capacities

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
what is the load/weight capacity on the 525 EXC?

i am going to buy the Coyote Giant Loop (i already have the MoJavi for day trips).
You can set up the rear shock to carry nearly anything you can load on the 525. There has been discussion about the strength of the sub frame. I put the Enduro Engineering small rack on the rear. It adds strength to the sub frame. The bike has been upside down sliding on the rack after hitting the ground pretty hard. No issues. I have the same rack on my '09 300 XC-W to use as a grab handle to pull it out of mud bogs. Again, it has scars from numerous rocks and the rack and sub frame (essentially the same as on the 525) are no longer pretty but they are intact. Worry about something important, like carrying beer, but not the strength, weight capacity and durability of the sub frame.

The Coyote looks like a great bag, BTW.

On long trips just short shift and keep the revs down. The motor will survive quite nicely. The HT-Racing cooler is, to my mind, a necessary addition to cut down on oil changes, reduce oil heat and to run available 5W-40 synthetic oils.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #41
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 948
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597632

the second half of the ride report has the camping off the little bikes, it was just an overnighter so minimal supplies required , made use of the coke can alcohol stove I made , which is enough to boil water for the mt house meals, or instant cofee , oatmeal etc.
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #42
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
For warmer climates, longer duration trips or when I want more room I use a double wall Eureka tent (the Rising Sun) that has a small vestibule and net ventilation with rain fly. It sheds wind without issues and has never leaked. I have applied Nickwax waterproofing for tents on several occaision over the last 15 years that I've owned it. It is a copy of the North Face Tadpole. With 4 stakes it weighs approximately 4 lbs 2 oz. I've used it in places such as the dessert in Glamis, BWCA, all throughout the Rockies and Banff/Jasper and have not found a reason to replace it.

I currently use a 2" thick thermarest that is 1lb 7oz but have keeping an eye on some of the new sleeping pads that incorporate down in addition to self inflation which offer up to 3" of comfort from the ground.

I've also had the opportunity to try out a new product on the market this summer while in the San Juans, CO and Canyon lands UT. It is Starbucks Instant Coffee. Just add to hot water and your done. Quick and easy with minimal mess and hits the spot in the morning.

"And for those on the go, this coffee is pure perfection in a packet. All you have to do is add hot water and the Starbucks VIA® Flavored Coffee packet to your to-go cup. Within seconds you’ll be enjoying this delicious indulgence and ready to take what ever the day brings."

http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodli.asp?SKUlist=313941,313934,313927,313920,3 13997&Keywords=Starbucks+VIA+Ready+Brew+Flavored+Coffees&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=starbuck%20cinnamon%20flavored%20coffee%2 0via&utm_campaign=via_viacinnamonbranded&gclid=CJ7bw5mR1KUCFQTrKgodlkS-jg

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold

Fast1 screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 07:09 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #43
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460

Here is what Hodakaguy and I used on the OBDR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10341004&highlight=YamWOW!#post10341004

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS

YamWOW! screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 07:18 PM
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #44
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
before going to all the trouble paying someone to weld you support for saddle bags (i have the Ortlieb Dry Saddlebags) (i used those on my KLR650).
look at http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
[COLOR=DarkOrange]
Thanks, but I have seen the giant loop stuff and I am sticking with the Ortlieb plan. As for the stoves (this might not translate into american) there are those who use gas (butane/propane), those who use meths (Trangia stoves), and those who use proper fuel (petrol, paraffin). Pick your group and pick a stove. There will always be advocates for each class.

Dazed Productions screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 11:52 PM
Dazed Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #45
See red
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126

This was a week including a 4 person tent as my northface was shredded I am still confused as to how..... anyways I use a hybachi grill with a short tri-pod I made.
See red is offline   Reply With Quote