ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #61
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
+1 for hexamine stove! No leaks, reliable, light.
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #62
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.


MSR does make a smaller bottle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
Fast1
Twisted Throttle
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bridge over Troubled Water
Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
MSR does make a smaller bottle.

4oz.. nice and compact. My selection for solo 2 or 3 day trips.

edit... thought you were referring to compressed fuel not the size of the actual fuel containers sold by MSR.

__________________
14 Husqvarna FE 501
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
11 Husqvarna SM630
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold

Fast1 screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 07:51 AM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #65
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.

but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

you might need it for your bike.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #66
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

you might need it for your bike.
Very good point.

I suppose it's force of habit of wanting to make everything as small/light as possible. In this case, as it can be used as additional bike fuel, I wouldn't mind carrying the full size bottle. A 1L bottle stuck in my tool tube lashed opposite the exhaust would be fine. Thanks.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #67
Fast1
Twisted Throttle
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bridge over Troubled Water
Oddometer: 1,796
How to choose a backpack stove?

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacking+stove.html
__________________
14 Husqvarna FE 501
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
11 Husqvarna SM630
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #68
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,519
i have been looking into "backpacking" websites and blogs for advice.

i also have bicycle friends that do long trips on their bicycles. now THAT is minimalism at it's best!

they laugh at me that i take a tent. they are all into bivy's. i just can't do that because i like a little room to chill in and i get a little claustrophobic in bivy's.

looking at the MSR website, they have stove, plate, silverware kits that all fit into each other. that's a GREAT idea!
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #69
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer
 
Fishfund's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

you might need it for your bike.
That is the exact reason I want the smaller bottle, so I can just fill the MSR bottle from the main tank when it is empty.

The difference in 20 oz of fuel in the small MSR bottle vs the large bottle (32-12) will only gain you a few more miles for your motorcycle. To me that is not an advantage and a reason to pack a fuel bottle that is more than twice the size of what it can be.

If you need more fuel for you bike, odds are you are going to need more than 20 extra ounces anyway. Just buy a bigger tank.

my 2 cents
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #70
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
That is the exact reason I want the smaller bottle, so I can just fill the MSR bottle from the main tank when it is empty.

The difference in 20 oz of fuel in the small MSR bottle vs the large bottle (32-12) will only gain you a few more miles for your motorcycle. To me that is not an advantage and a reason to pack a fuel bottle that is more than twice the size of what it can be.

If you need more fuel for you bike, odds are you are going to need more than 20 extra ounces anyway. Just buy a bigger tank.

my 2 cents

not entirely.

i have been in situations where i can coast most of the way, then start the bike on uphills, then repeat the coasting to the nearest gas station AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

30 oz = 0.234 gallons = 10 miles up to 20 miles(if i coast and i'm easy on the throttle).
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #71
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer
 
Fishfund's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
not entirely.

i have been in situations where i can coast most of the way, then start the bike on uphills, then repeat the coasting to the nearest gas station AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

30 oz = 0.234 gallons = 10 miles up to 20 miles(if i coast and i'm easy on the throttle).
To each their own. I'm glad that plan works well for you.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #72
Fast1
Twisted Throttle
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bridge over Troubled Water
Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
not entirely.

AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

30 oz = 0.234 gallons = 10 miles up to 20 miles(if i coast and i'm easy on the throttle).
If autos are going by and you were smart enough to pack a small diameter siphon tube you could get some fuel in the MSR allot quicker than hitchhiking and leaving your prized posession and all those expensive camping supplies for others to see while away. Hitchhiking for fuel is a double issue because you also have to return back to your bike with the fuel and this may take more time than you anticipated in remote areas... I've experienced this little task once and it was no cake walk.. Plus if you are not riding solo that siphon tube works wonders when pushing your fuel supply to the limit knowing you have a potential re-supply running with you.
__________________
14 Husqvarna FE 501
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
11 Husqvarna SM630
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #73
RLK
4,949
 
RLK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: CSprings
Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.
__________________
It takes less time to do things the hard way than to be too nervous to even start at all.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #74
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stiggs13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.
how long does it take to boil water with this? or cook a can of chili? seems like a great way to go for cooking simple things
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #75
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stiggs13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 175
cheap alternative

http://www.campmor.com/ags-esbit-sto...4&ci_sku=84858
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014