User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #61
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
+1 for hexamine stove! No leaks, reliable, light.
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #62
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.

MSR does make a smaller bottle.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
MSR does make a smaller bottle.

4oz.. nice and compact. My selection for solo 2 or 3 day trips.

edit... thought you were referring to compressed fuel not the size of the actual fuel containers sold by MSR.

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold

Fast1 screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 07:51 AM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #65
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

you might need it for your bike.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #66
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

Very good point.

I suppose it's force of habit of wanting to make everything as small/light as possible. In this case, as it can be used as additional bike fuel, I wouldn't mind carrying the full size bottle. A 1L bottle stuck in my tool tube lashed opposite the exhaust would be fine. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #67
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

How to choose a backpack stove?

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacking+stove.html
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #68
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

i have been looking into "backpacking" websites and blogs for advice.

i also have bicycle friends that do long trips on their bicycles. now THAT is minimalism at it's best!

they laugh at me that i take a tent. they are all into bivy's. i just can't do that because i like a little room to chill in and i get a little claustrophobic in bivy's.

looking at the MSR website, they have stove, plate, silverware kits that all fit into each other. that's a GREAT idea!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #69
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:

That is the exact reason I want the smaller bottle, so I can just fill the MSR bottle from the main tank when it is empty.

The difference in 20 oz of fuel in the small MSR bottle vs the large bottle (32-12) will only gain you a few more miles for your motorcycle. To me that is not an advantage and a reason to pack a fuel bottle that is more than twice the size of what it can be.

If you need more fuel for you bike, odds are you are going to need more than 20 extra ounces anyway. Just buy a bigger tank.

my 2 cents
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #70
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
That is the exact reason I want the smaller bottle, so I can just fill the MSR bottle from the main tank when it is empty.

The difference in 20 oz of fuel in the small MSR bottle vs the large bottle (32-12) will only gain you a few more miles for your motorcycle. To me that is not an advantage and a reason to pack a fuel bottle that is more than twice the size of what it can be.

If you need more fuel for you bike, odds are you are going to need more than 20 extra ounces anyway. Just buy a bigger tank.

my 2 cents

not entirely.

i have been in situations where i can coast most of the way, then start the bike on uphills, then repeat the coasting to the nearest gas station AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

30 oz = 0.234 gallons = 10 miles up to 20 miles(if i coast and i'm easy on the throttle).
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #71
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
not entirely.

i have been in situations where i can coast most of the way, then start the bike on uphills, then repeat the coasting to the nearest gas station AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

30 oz = 0.234 gallons = 10 miles up to 20 miles(if i coast and i'm easy on the throttle).
To each their own. I'm glad that plan works well for you.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #72
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
not entirely.

AND/OR hitchhike to the gas station to fill the LARGER MSR bottle.

If autos are going by and you were smart enough to pack a small diameter siphon tube you could get some fuel in the MSR allot quicker than hitchhiking and leaving your prized posession and all those expensive camping supplies for others to see while away. Hitchhiking for fuel is a double issue because you also have to return back to your bike with the fuel and this may take more time than you anticipated in remote areas... I've experienced this little task once and it was no cake walk.. Plus if you are not riding solo that siphon tube works wonders when pushing your fuel supply to the limit knowing you have a potential re-supply running with you.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #73
RLK

Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #74
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.
how long does it take to boil water with this? or cook a can of chili? seems like a great way to go for cooking simple things
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #75
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
cheap alternative

http://www.campmor.com/ags-esbit-sto...4&ci_sku=84858
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote