Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #76
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.
Coleman makes quite a few.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #77
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs13 View Post
how long does it take to boil water with this? or cook a can of chili? seems like a great way to go for cooking simple things
depends on the type of fuel (hexamine or trioxamine or others) as well as the physical size of the tablet. Boiling room temp water would be about 10-12 minutes till you see bubbles. Most tablets last about 12-15 minutes, again depends on what type and size. I don't think I've ever had anything go into a full on rolling boil with mine, but boiled enough to use for coffee, tea, soup or instant meals.

I carry mine when on trips but I only use it if I am staying in a bed. I put on a cup of water, hop in the shower, by the time I get out I have hot water for coffee. I have one in my weekend bag and in it are a dozen round tablets from walmart, I think those are coughlan's brand. They don't stink to high heaven like the square ones do.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #78
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

more info for ya

http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm
Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #79
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I carry mine when on trips but I only use it if I am staying in a bed. I put on a cup of water, hop in the shower, by the time I get out I have hot water for coffee. I have one in my weekend bag and in it are a dozen round tablets from walmart, I think those are coughlan's brand. They don't stink to high heaven like the square ones do.
Presumably you're not talking camping then? Doesn't the hotel/motel/house have a better, safer way of boiling water (eg a kettle)? Don't get me wrong, I stay indoors some of the time on trips too, but whenever I do, I use their facilities to make tea/coffee. Aside from it being for safety reasons, it helps conserve stove fuel too.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #80
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Presumably you're not talking camping then? Doesn't the hotel/motel/house have a better, safer way of boiling water (eg a kettle)? Don't get me wrong, I stay indoors some of the time on trips too, but whenever I do, I use their facilities to make tea/coffee. Aside from it being for safety reasons, it helps conserve stove fuel too.
I'm talking fleabag motels. If it's a chain hotel then more often than not they have a breakfast room.

Speaking of which, I've heard of many a rider going into hotels in the morning for the complementary breakfast who have not actually spent the night in said motel. I of course would never stoop so low...............
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #81
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Speaking of which, I've heard of many a rider going into hotels in the morning for the complementary breakfast who have not actually spent the night in said motel. I of course would never stoop so low...............
I regularly stay in hotels bike travelling for work. Not through any criminal intent, but more just interest, I have thought about this. I have noticed a slight increase in the number of times I've been asked for evidence of my room number or staying in the hotel when in my leathers, rather than a business suit, but only slight. A few times I have left this in my room, etc. and explained I'd have to go and check; staff have never looked suspicious when I've done this, so you could always use this as your escape method if confronted.

NB: I would never condone this. I'd tell the staff if I saw someone doing this and happily assist the hotel in prosecuting them.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #82
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
You pay for the breakfast with the room. If someone goes in for the breakfast who hasn't stayed at the motel, they are a thief plain and simple. No rationalization can make them anything but a thief. They belong on the same level as child molesters IMO. And they know they are a thief.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #83
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
They belong on the same level as child molesters IMO.
No doubt theft is a , but the above is rather an odd comparison to make. Anyways, this whole thing is tangent, maybe we can skip the free meals program discussion and get back to the original topic.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #84
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.
Sounds good, not a bad deal
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #85
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
No doubt theft is a , but the above is rather an odd comparison to make. Anyways, this whole thing is tangent, maybe we can skip the free meals program discussion and get back to the original topic.

yes.

i am not against staying at motels, but this is a CAMPING thread.

if you want, i can start a 'SMALL bike motel thread'

RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #86
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Nah! I'm over it!
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #87
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
This is more or less my setup - less in the sense that this a bit of an overload, I even have a charcoal grill in one of the sausage bags.
And quite a few spares and tools for the old MZ.

small tent, a cheap copy of the blue one in some post before, a big tarp, exellent Salewa sleeping bag, therma rest mat, camping gaz cooker (have a coleman too, now), pot and pan, and a few not so necesarry things more.
oh yeah, and my italian expresso maker - packs big, but a must for me

asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #88
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,593
Quote:
I'm talking fleabag motels. If it's a chain hotel then more often than not they have a breakfast room.

Interesting idea. I've slipped into their business centers to check email or write a ride report.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 03:05 PM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #89
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
You pay for the breakfast with the room. If someone goes in for the breakfast who hasn't stayed at the motel, they are a thief plain and simple. No rationalization can make them anything but a thief. They belong on the same level as child molesters IMO. And they know they are a thief.

Gee's ...lighten up Francis Lets recap. Eat food = child molester...that about it? Now back to our regularly scheduled small bike camping thread.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 03:06 PM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #90
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
my small bike camping set up

stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote