Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #91
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
You pay for the breakfast with the room. If someone goes in for the breakfast who hasn't stayed at the motel, they are a thief plain and simple. No rationalization can make them anything but a thief. They belong on the same level as child molesters IMO. And they know they are a thief.

Funny, they don't give me a refund when I don't eat their breakfast.

Are you a District Attorney or just insane.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #92
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Hey, can't you guys read? It's over, move on, I have.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #93
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
It boggles my mind how completely off topic some threads can turn into.

In an effort to get it back on track here is what I have been using for a stove over the last couple of years for my camping off the 525.

It's an alcohol stove that burns methyl alcohol, the same stuff that restaraunts use to keep fondue pots and large group stews hot. One time in Laos I even used a hill tribes homemade rice whiskey (moonshine) as fuel to fire up some lunch. I can get this fuel in any small village for a couple pennies and the stoves are wonderfully small and light. Perfect for keeping your load minimal and very simple to use. No priming, jets to clean, stoves to clean, etc. here's a pic with a lighter to use as a size reference, you can see how small these stoves are.

The above version I bought off inmate Shady Rascal for like $5, he has a thread in vendors forum. This style needs no pot stand and I've even stopped bringing a small windscreen that I used to carry inside the pot since the jungle over here protects you from the wind pretty well. The small clear container contains enough fuel for me to cook about 7 meals and since I generally only cook one meal per day that a weeks worth of fuel in that small container.

I ended up crumpling my first homemade stove in a crash and now store the stove in the cooking pot with a lighter, utensils, and fuel. The stoves you can make yourself for free with a couple aluminum soda tin cans, look here for many creative ideas and info on the alcohol stove: http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

The stoves do not offer perfect flame control so simmering requires some ineraction with the pot but if you're just boiling water or heating up stuff it has worked well for me over the years. A dish of cashew nut chicken with rice, fresh, no boil in a bag stuff over here.

Best of luck everyone.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #94
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdway View Post
I take pretty much the same stuff if I go for the weekend or a week, big bike or small.

Helix for a long weekend

TW200 for a week

Duc for 2 weeks

The last pic is in the Bighorn Mts on US14ALT in Shell canyon??
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #95
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Isn't there a pet food bowl that collapses to flat? The bowl pictured reminds me of that. Anyone got one of those and if so, is it durable, and cheap?
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #96
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Wachs - Have you or any of your buddies thought about the Nuetech Tubliss system as an alternative to tubes? i keep dreaming about the weight and space saved if I could ditch the innertubes out of my packing list. Hell even packing a couple extra Nuetech tubes you'd still be saving some decent space overall I would think.

A couple guys here have used them with various success. I just install fresh HD tubes and run them about 20 lbs. Takes me a few miles to get used to the skittering about but saves the rims and my tires (might) last a little longer. I carry one, 21" tube at all times along with auto tire patch kit.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #97
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I use these squishy bowls. Stuff them into my Jet-Boil and leave them there. When I am done eating I just pop them inside out and lick'em clean . It not only gets them clean, nobody ealse wants to share my food .

http://www.campbound.com/guyot-desig...l-cup-set.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Isn't there a pet food bowl that collapses to flat? The bowl pictured reminds me of that. Anyone got one of those and if so, is it durable, and cheap?

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #98
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
One thing I haven't worked out yet is how to pack cooking gear (things like fry pans) into the Giantloop. How are you guys going about this. Jetboils etc are fine, but not ideal for a stir fry.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #99
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
One thing I haven't worked out yet is how to pack cooking gear (things like fry pans) into the Giantloop. How are you guys going about this. Jetboils etc are fine, but not ideal for a stir fry.

Tmmotten - My GL bag swallows my cooking pot with no problem. A big ole stir fry wok on the other hand may be stretching beyond the GL packing ideology a bit I fear.

Sadly one downside to softluggage is crashing can take a toll on yer cookware.

After 25 years of riding and racing i wish i could say i don't crash as often as I used to.....................but I can't. Who else suffers this problem and other than to stop crashing, which won't happen, how can this be prevented as this is my seconnd set of cookware?

team ftb screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 07:41 AM
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #100
can'o'kiwi
full metal jock-itch

Oddometer: 131
[QUOTE=Snr Moment;14614092]I need to start paying attention here as I have a slight tendency to over pack. Not a real problem on the road, but, as I get further and further off the tarvy, it's an issue. Gravity on a bigger bike is not your friend.

jesus tittie F%^K how many days is that for?

i hope your running a courier sevice on your way out of town
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #101
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
Ten days. Almost 3k miles of 2 lane and forest/fire/mountain roads in Western Montana.

It's not as bad as you think - it's fluffy.

I have since reduced the pile and more reductions are on the way. That trip was, shall we say, a learning experience. Hence, my interest and participation in this thread.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #102
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava View Post
Funny, they don't give me a refund when I don't eat their breakfast.....

that's because you paid for some freeloader off the street to dine
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #103
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Who else suffers this problem and other than to stop crashing, which won't happen, how can this be prevented as this is my seconnd set of cookware?
Neither will cure it completely, but these 2 things help:

1) Choice of cookware/stove. If you want compact, take a jetboil. They're more rugged than any other ultralight stove. If you want maximum resiliance, steel Trangias the way to go. They are pretty heavy, take a long time to boil water and are quite bulky, but I've never seen a stove that comes close in crash-proofness.

2) Put the stove* in a bag on top of the seat, rather than on the sides in panniers. Yes, it can still get hit, but it'll get hit less often (unless you always crash by looping the bike!)

*and other fragile stuff, like tent poles.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #104
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Neither will cure it completely, but these 2 things help:

1) Choice of cookware/stove. If you want compact, take a jetboil. They're more rugged than any other ultralight stove. If you want maximum resiliance, steel Trangias the way to go. They are pretty heavy, take a long time to boil water and are quite bulky, but I've never seen a stove that comes close in crash-proofness.

2) Put the stove* in a bag on top of the seat, rather than on the sides in panniers. Yes, it can still get hit, but it'll get hit less often (unless you always crash by looping the bike!)

*and other fragile stuff, like tent poles.
Thaanks CeriJC!! I'm not a fan of the cannister stoves like the Jetboil, especially since the cannisters are next to impossible to find where I live. Funnily enough i have a Trangia stove but I actually like the pot-stand capability of my home built alcohol stove a bit better. Luckily the fragility of the stove is not an issue since I store the stove inside the pot. Its my damn pots that are getting squashed inside my GL and DirtBagz luggage.

As you stated, storing them on top of the seat has increased the survivability..................................... .........sadly it has not completely solved the issue since I've still managed to damage them.

....erm...whats my bike doing down there??

Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #105
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Funnily enough i have a Trangia stove but I actually like the pot-stand capability of my home built alcohol stove a bit better. Luckily the fragility of the stove is not an issue since I store the stove inside the pot. Its my damn pots that are getting squashed inside my GL and DirtBagz luggage.
Have you considered getting stainless steel pots for use with your alcohol stove instead of aluminium ones? If those are SS ones you managed to mash up in that picture I think you might be beyond help!