Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,058
Yass - Boorowa Mud Run XS650

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641652
Ok, did this report yesaterday only to have it disappear somewhere! Now I've calmed down, I'll try again - sections!

Firstly, tyre selection - very neccessary under current conditions! Test track around the backyard! my backyard; -

frontyard;-

This Mitas E-07 didn't hack the conditions

Replaced by this Dunlop K460 [1/2 worn]

Another thought for the novice - know your bikes swimming ability, my old XS650 is good for 0.5m, 0.6m means drowning, I'm running pod airfilters - no snokel! Note; 0.5 on the tape below!

For wading/ walking the crossing purposes, 0.5m is @ my knees!, now another thing to allow for is current, you may walk a creek OK but when you put the bike in, away we go because of the current, remember that!
Headed off in bright sunshine @ 0830hrs, first crossing was OK,

little bit greasy in places

Boorowa River on Laverstock Lane, running slow but @ 0.7m, that's crown jewel territory!

So, it's a pass on that way, back to Davis' Lane, across to Wargiela Rd out to Rye Park, over Boorowa River on the way,

out the Frogmore Rd., hang a left @ Kenny's Creek Rd, one problem with this way, still have to cross the Pudman Creek the other end! Wide crossing [concrete] but good rate of flow,

walked it first, knee deep but going like a train! OK head in & hang on, never lost a bike but there's always the first time! No problems, would have made a great shot, bow wave etc, where's your mates with cameras?

Next stop - lunch @ Boorowa with oldies [parents], pass Boorowa River lowlevel @ near 3m!

then out the Kenyu Rd., hang a left into Geegullalong Stock Route [GSR]

the fun begins, I grew up out this way & this particular track is where I learnt to ride & drive! nothing has changed!

This is good compared to what happens next!

leads to this;-

leads to this;-
and this;-

leading to this;-

heading for "Lofty's Hill"
on top of "Lofty's Hill", after much swearing about dickheads in FWD's

Now across the Cowra Rd., & crossing Castle's Creek [@ 0.5m] on GSR, ignoring the 'road closed' sign which was on the wrong side of the road!

link up with the Healthfield Lane, call in and have a yarn with 'Jarve', then as the thundergods roar, so did I trying to stay ahead of the deluge!

Headed down Young Rd., left into Campbellfields Lane, left on Harden Rd., right onto Binalong Rd., left into Bendenine Stock Route, all good until this!

which caused this;-

but not straight away, oh no, it blew the front tyre @ 80kph about 200m past here,
[first & last experience I hope!]

I rode on the flat for 16km to "Willow Bridge",
where I sought shelter and rang Mrs Ghost who brought out a fresh front wheel [thanks darling],
quick trip home [16km], via Crossroads, Laverstock and Wargiela, home @ 1630hrs.
Moral of the story;- enjoy life - get out & ride
Distance - 180km
Time - 8hrs
Funfactor - infinite!

Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 01:46 AM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Barry, you're a legend!

Top pics
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Russ

Oddometer: 16,109
Great RR
She's been a wet week for sure.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 638
Good on ya Hunter!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 993
Good read. Thanks. Sometimes ya just gotta get up'n'go

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
willows
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
An old, simple bike and a day playing in the mud. What more could a boy want?
Top read.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by willows View Post
An old, simple bike and a day playing in the mud. What more could a boy want?
Top read.
A few more bikes & riders for company [ & to take photos!]

Cheers
Baza
Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
aussie ttoad
T.T.O.A.D

Oddometer: 124
Great ride report. What you do with the old XS is awesome, makes me think I should put dirt tyres on mine.
aussie ttoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
...ya havin too much fun...it aint fair....

unc
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Tx for the RR & pics. Lots of slippery mud! Good on you for staying upright through all that. (or did you 'forget' to take photos of any offs )
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Great day out Baza - pretty wet around our neck of the woods
Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Tx for the RR & pics. Lots of slippery mud! Good on you for staying upright through all that. (or did you 'forget' to take photos of any offs )
No 'offs', but there was a lot swearing at stages, things like 'you silly old greyhead f*#!*&#$@!*, what do you think you were thinking when you dreamt this idea up!', to 'shit how am I going to explain this when they find me!'
No worries about pictures of 'offs', I enjoy my own stuff-ups & like to keep a memory of it, so yeah photos are never a problem!
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie ttoad View Post
Great ride report. What you do with the old XS is awesome, makes me think I should put dirt tyres on mine.
You mean to say that there's another XS650 in this asylum! Shit yeah, put some K70 Dunlops on for average dirt road riding but if you're serious then try a Dunlop K460 [16"] for the rear, Mitas E-07 [18"] but not happy with its dirt performance, it wears well - but flat centre! Still opt for K70 in a lot of situations - Been into TTT / Alpine Rallies several times with one on!
Still sorting out the optimum front tyre, got a knobby of some asian extraction on the front, bit tricky on wet tar & not happy on some dirt roads! Again, opt for a K70 on the front, better than a lot of knobbies & trials tyres I've tried over the years, [been doing it since the seventies]

Cheers
Baza
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
...ya havin too much fun...it aint fair....

unc
Do you want me to PM you next time? No problems if you want come along, be glad to have company.
Been trying to organise some regular get togethers in this neck of the woods, just of late, a lot of horrorscopes haven't been aligning, did one earlier in Sept? When GodSilla did his leg in & had to ride home in mucho pain, Pom-In-Oz went with him to make sure there was no further damage done, problem being shiftworkers! I think that's how all this started, anyway I enjoy the challenge, I guess I forgot a lot of what I learnt in my earlier life, now I just have to get my body to remember! Trouble with realisation of older life, arthritis / worldly injuries of both - honest & nefarious natures, is the fact that ya bloody body does work like it used too!
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

While I'm at it, damage bill is going up! Just discovered a nice flat spot on left side of the rear rim, as well as busted light lense [L/H pannier], wrecked front tyre [trials type, heard these might too soft, went to OCR & back? ]
Not so Cheerful
Baza