ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
How will these handle extreme cold?
Should be better, right?

Q~
They are affected by cold more than a conventional battery.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
How will they hold up after a 50 mile, extreme washboard dirt road knocks the hell out of it.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
NipponDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex View Post
How will they hold up after a 50 mile, extreme washboard dirt road knocks the hell out of it.

The cells in Shorai LFX are not only quite vibration resistant natively, they are vibration damped inside the hard-shell carbon-plastic case. In most cases the LFX battery is also slightly shorter and narrower than the original lead-acid as well, so the supplied high-density foam shims are used to make up the difference, and this supplies further vibration and heat protection.

LFX have been laboratory and field tested at extreme vibration levels, with 100% pass.

As for cold weather performance, it is true that Li-Ion and LiFe batteries which are LOW RATE types (like cell/laptop, etc) are very affected. Even those, however, do "wake up" once they are slightly warmed. Shorai LFX are extremely low-resistance (high rate type), so cold temps affect them less than other lithium lower-rate cells to start with.

A lead-acid battery under extreme cold will give its very best crank on the first shot. Then plate coating will increase resistance, and every crank after will be worse. LFX do the opposite. They may start slighly below the lead acid in voltage under cranking, but with one crank (or any other load, like a headlight on or heated jacket for a few minutes) they will decrease in resistance as they warm, and improve with each crank attempt.

All the Best,

David
Tech, Shorai Inc.

12-13-2010: here is a report from a dealer who was tring to break an LFX much smaller than recommended, including freezing the battery, in order to "stress test" before making a volume order, ShoraiNews > Customer Reviews

NipponDave screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 01:41 AM
NipponDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
I'm sold

I'm sold on these batteries if they do what is claimed.

And what I like is that they seem to have a fitment for most any bike unlike the Odyssey company.
I don't want ordinary batteries----I'm always out in the middle of nowhere--none of my bikes have a
kickstarter--so I want something that is the best money can buy.

They have a fitment for my Yamaha WR250R which I was planning on getting a new battery for this winter.

I'm all over it. I'll be getting 2 of these--one for my 950 and one for my WR250R.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,529
I'm going to be reviewing at least one of these batteries soon... for the LC4 and LC8. I will submit info to the other thread on battery alternatives.
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
NipponDave, I'm thinking a group buy, and the resulting word-of-mouth, is the best way to break into this market with a bang!
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
dougn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
i'm really interested to watch this thing go critical. you don't get to see this too often!
dougn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougn View Post
i'm really interested to watch this thing go critical. you don't get to see this too often!
Take the time to understand the different chemistry related to these batteries. Like many things, not all are equal, and just because some DA wacked a Lithium Ion battery on YouTube does not mean that all similar batteries will act in the same way. I wonder what kind of battery technology
is powering that cell phone in your pocket or the laptop over there on the desk... or that hand held power tool over there?

Kinda like saying Hemp and Marijuana are the same... or a Douglas or Hemlock fir are the "same"... yes, same families, however rather different in characteristics.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
dougn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
i'm talking about the market. these seem to be so superior to lead acid.....they will take over the market
dougn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougn View Post
i'm talking about the market. these seem to be so superior to lead acid.....they will take over the market
sorry for the twitchy trigger finger.... thanks for the clairification... I agree, this type of auxiliary power source is the future.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
The cells in Shorai LFX are not only quite vibration resistant natively, they are vibration damped inside the hard-shell carbon-plastic case. In most cases the LFX battery is also slightly shorter and narrower than the original lead-acid as well, so the supplied high-density foam shims are used to make up the difference, and this supplies further vibration and heat protection.

All the Best,

David
Tech, Shorai Inc.
Thanks David for your input. Could you comment on how your batteries do in watercrossings. As you know, the battery on Ktm ADVs is located by the skid plate and gets submerged quiet rapidly.

Thanks!
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #27
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:

Thanks NipponDave. Good information to know.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
NipponDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
If you look at the battery pics on our site, you will see a recessed area at front with a rectangular grey plastic cover. Behind that, there is a 5-pin connector, which our dedicated battery charger/tender will use. The small air gaps around those pins are the only vent in the case, and we need that to allow pressure compensation for altitude and temp changes.

Without doing anything at all, it is unlikely that you would get water into the case via those pins, unless it is truly submerged for a while. But you could pack some electrical grease into the 5-pin connector, to completely eliminate water worries. And that should not interfere with pressure equalization.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Thanks David for your input. Could you comment on how your batteries do in watercrossings. As you know, the battery on Ktm ADVs is located by the skid plate and gets submerged quiet rapidly.

Thanks!
NipponDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
If you look at the battery pics on our site, you will see a recessed area at front with a rectangular grey plastic cover. Behind that, there is a 5-pin connector, which our dedicated battery charger/tender will use. The small air gaps around those pins are the only vent in the case, and we need that to allow pressure compensation for altitude and temp changes.

Without doing anything at all, it is unlikely that you would get water into the case via those pins, unless it is truly submerged for a while. But you could pack some electrical grease into the 5-pin connector, to completely eliminate water worries. And that should not interfere with pressure equalization.

David
Reading between the lines here...
Does this battery need a special charging unit?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex View Post
Reading between the lines here...
Does this battery need a special charging unit?

No. A regular battery charger will do as long as it is rated at or below the amp hour rating of the battery.

Another good thing is that these batteries don't require being on a battery tender, as long as there is not a parasitical drain on them. They hold their voltage much better than a lead acid battery. These types of batteries have been on the market for a few years now, so they are really tried and true. It looks like other companies like Shorai are jumping in, which is good. More options to choose from.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote