ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #31
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Thanks for the input everyone.
So some electrical grease and I can cross knee deep rivers with a 9x0a without destroying the battery.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #32
NipponDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
That's right. In fact, Shorai has been working on this project for nearly 3 years now, which included developing our own prismatic true high-rate cells for the batteries. Our main advantages are in those cells, the hard composite case design, and our proper fit in virtually any modern motorcycle. And since we are the only real "factory direct" option out there, we are able to price below others, and offer a 2-year warranty. I expect dealer street prices will fall to about $89.95 for the smallest, up to $169.95 for the largest LFX.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
No. A regular battery charger will do as long as it is rated at or below the amp hour rating of the battery.

Another good thing is that these batteries don't require being on a battery tender, as long as there is not a parasitical drain on them. They hold their voltage much better than a lead acid battery. These types of batteries have been on the market for a few years now, so they are really tried and true. It looks like other companies like Shorai are jumping in, which is good. More options to choose from.
NipponDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #33
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
ADVrider discount.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #34
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
ADVrider discount.
I second that
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #35
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
Does it have a cut-off to prevent full discharge?

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible."
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #36
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
For the full discharge I would doubt it would have any limiter but if i was stuck somewhere and my bike hadn't started yet i'd prefer to use up more of the juice from the battery and more of it's life than be stranded with life left in the battery.

I think most hybrid cars allow only 30% discharge or so to greatly extend the battery life (or make it acceptable at least) probably the same battery types.

To extend the life you could get a bigger AH battery but that then adds weight and cost and makes it less attractive compares to a lead acid..
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
maicomike
big bore fan

Oddometer: 211
Bluhduh li-po

i run rc boats and li-po are a BIG NO-NO in boats because of the water and lithium problem one guy had a handmade boat burn and sink becuase of a li-po battery. rc cars and plane guys use them but are very carefull with recharging due to explosions and fires there are special bags that the batts are kept in while charging incase it blows. google it for more info.
later Mike

maicomike screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 08:23 AM
maicomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Are you sure those aren't LiCoO2 you're talking about? Lifepo4 are completely safe batteries i was lead to believe...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #39
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Are you sure those aren't LiCoO2 you're talking about? Lifepo4 are completely safe batteries i was lead to believe...
Actually, he was talking about lithium poly batteries. Which is another different formulation of lithium batteries and not the same as a lifepo4(life) battery.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #40
NipponDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
NipponDave, I'm thinking a group buy, and the resulting word-of-mouth, is the best way to break into this market with a bang!
Sorry I missed your post earlier. As the manufacturer, it's not for us to discount. But our dealers are expected to agressively promote the LFX batteries in a variety of ways to your advantage. Pls check our New Dealers section, and contact the dealer closest to you for special offers and negotiated volume discounts. We expect to add 10~50 dealers per week, as we work our way across the country at the Progressive Motorcycle Shows. And this coming weekend (Dec 17~19) at Long Beach we and MotoWheels will each have booths with the LFX on sale at MSRP, but we'll pay the sales tax for you.

David

NipponDave screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 02:12 AM
Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #41
ADVJake
***** dweller

Update on lifepo4...
my battery is flat, and the voltage is still well above the battery damaging 9V.
All dash light are out, at 12.5V
It behaves differently when its out of juice, where with a lead acid you would still have dim lights or something happening on the dash.
With the lifepo4 its lifeless.

I think you'd really have to try to get the voltage down to 9V on these.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #42
NipponDave
Adventurer

As I've been reading the user groups recently, I see a tremendous amount of "information" about lithium batteries that confuses different lithium chemistries (LiCo, LiFe, LiMn, etc), which all have completely different characteristics.

I also see many incorrect assumptions that because one battery from a particular maker has the same lithium chemistry as another, all batteries of that chemistry must share the same flaws or performance as the battery at hand. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's like saying that because all cars have 4 wheels, they are all the same...

There are a bewildering number of factors that affect the characteristics of a lithium-iron (lifepo4) battery, from the quality of the base materials(huge differences), to format (prismatic, cylindrical, rolled, stacked, etc), and quality control procedures, test-and-settle testing time, matching, and much more.

Shorai is able to create cells with 5C peak discharge rate (not enough to crank an engine), but very high energy density, or 50C peak discharge cells with reduced energy density. It is the latter that we use in the LFX batteries. 50C means that they can safely discharge 50x their capacity for 10 seconds+, while maintaining high voltage levels. No other company in the world can produce such high-rate prismatic LiFe cells which last as long, nor match our consistancy from cell to cell. And the energy density reduction is no issue, as compared to lead-acid we are incredibly light anyway...

LiFe starter batteries must each stand on their own merits. A report on one brand supplies information about that brand only. It isn't valid to paint any other brand with the same brush. Results WILL vary according to the quality and engineeering per brand.

David

PS: Shorai LFX are more vibration-damage resistant than the average lead-acid AGM battery. Reports of vibration problems in LiFe to date are confined to cylindrical power tool cells. Shorai prismatic cells are inherently vibration resistant, and they are insulated inside their carbon-composite case by damping foam. The supplied closed-cell foam shim set we supply adds futher vibration protection, and insulation from engine heat.

NipponDave screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 07:27 AM
Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #43
ADVJake
***** dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
What LiFePO4 are you using?

David
BMI 12V 8AH from http://lithbattoz.com.au/index.php?page=battey-packs

I thought there was something wrong with the battery but they told me that voltage means its flat, and they act differently to lead acid
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #44
NipponDave
Adventurer

I'm sorry, I don't know the brand so I can't comment specifically.

I can tell you that a proper LiFe powersports battery provides a higher-than-lead-acid voltage level under all circumstances. Shorai LFX are approx 1.5~2.5V higher than the equivalent-rated Ahr lead AGM battery, depending on load (as loads go up, our advantage rises).

And equal or better reserve capacity.

So what you have is a broken battery, or one which was not properly engineered for the job at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
BMI 12V 8AH from http://lithbattoz.com.au/index.php?page=battey-packs

I thought there was something wrong with the battery but they told me that voltage means its flat, and they act differently to lead acid
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 AM   #45
ADVJake
***** dweller

Thats what i thought, lead acid at 12.5 volts still is at 50% capacity. But a LifePO4 i'd imagine would be flat at that same voltage... is that right?

I made sure to get a high quality lifepo4, this is manufacturered in Australia using quality cells, the website shows the factory and all looks to be quality stuff.
But how would i know...

Anyway, they told me the battery was shipped at 25% capacity, and that explains why it went flat pretty quickly. So i'll hook it up to a lead acid to get it fired and let the bike charge it when its in a ridable state.