ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #46
NipponDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought the battery was providing that low voltage after charge, which would probably indicate bad cells. See how it goes after charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Thats what i thought, lead acid at 12.5 volts still is at 50% capacity. But a LifePO4 i'd imagine would be flat at that same voltage... is that right?

Anyway, they told me the battery was shipped at 25% capacity, and that explains why it went flat pretty quickly. So i'll hook it up to a lead acid to get it fired and let the bike charge it when its in a ridable state.
NipponDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #47
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
Interesting that they are shipping at a SOC of 25%. If I recall the very deep USA DOT regs regarding "secondary" "lithium-type" cells/batteries, that they are not to be shipped at a SOC less than 50%... which of course this is the USA, not AUS. Maybe they (your battery supplier) is avoiding a shipping regulation by shipping at a perceived "safe" SOC, who knows.

By the way, we just received our first shipment of the SHORAI batteries and I am very happy with the packaging and the presentation of the product. Especially that it comes with shimming foam to take up the excess space left from replacing a physically larger battery.

We need to make another order so I can get the biggest one in the 950s... sold all the ones I ordered already... customers first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Thats what i thought, lead acid at 12.5 volts still is at 50% capacity. But a LifePO4 i'd imagine would be flat at that same voltage... is that right?

I made sure to get a high quality lifepo4, this is manufacturered in Australia using quality cells, the website shows the factory and all looks to be quality stuff.
But how would i know...

Anyway, they told me the battery was shipped at 25% capacity, and that explains why it went flat pretty quickly. So i'll hook it up to a lead acid to get it fired and let the bike charge it when its in a ridable state.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #48
NipponDave
Adventurer

I had the same thought. But the Watt/Hr shipping regualtions (20 per cell, 100 per pack max) don't depend on SOC. The WHr are measured over a complete discharge. In any case, it 25% SOC isn't the best choice for LiFe battery storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Interesting that they are shipping at a SOC of 25%. If I recall the very deep USA DOT regs regarding "secondary" "lithium-type" cells/batteries, that they are not to be shipped at a SOC less than 50%... which of course this is the USA, not AUS. Maybe they (your battery supplier) is avoiding a shipping regulation by shipping at a perceived "safe" SOC, who knows. !

NipponDave screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 07:25 AM
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 AM   #49
darkhelmetnl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
All i can think of is: When will you have a dealer in Europe?

I have a Motobatt in my bike and very satisfied so far, but the specs of the Shorai look even better!
darkhelmetnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #50
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Hey David, my buddy Pete is the dealer who torture tested your battery before buying a bunch.... I bought some for my GS and my ZX-10 trackbike.. Starts right up every time.... Hey fellas. These aren't speedcells. They work in the cold... They are light. It's new technology. They are a little more than a regular battery but hey, I bet it ain't the most pricey thing on your ride... If you neysayers wanna keep carrying a lead Anvil under your seat hey have at it.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #51
NipponDave
Adventurer

We had limited initial production capacity, so are concentratng on the US market first. I expect Shorai to announce European distributors by late Febraury 2011.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelmetnl View Post
All i can think of is: When will you have a dealer in Europe?

I have a Motobatt in my bike and very satisfied so far, but the specs of the Shorai look even better!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #52
NipponDave
Adventurer

Glad you like the LFX! We've been getting great reviews from the snowmobile guys on the cold starting, too. The feedback has been very positive all around, and that is very satisfying after almost 3 years in development, when we had to keep it all secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Hey David, my buddy Pete is the dealer who torture tested your battery before buying a bunch.... I bought some for my GS and my ZX-10 trackbike.. Starts right up every time.... Hey fellas. These aren't speedcells. They work in the cold... They are light. It's new technology. They are a little more than a regular battery but hey, I bet it ain't the most pricey thing on your ride... If you neysayers wanna keep carrying a lead Anvil under your seat hey have at it.

NipponDave screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 09:51 AM
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #53
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
cold start tested the 950 last night with the installed 18aH battery. Shop temps were ~30 DegF. Engine spun through rapidly and came to life without issue. It had been sitting and not started for several days, shop temps have been 30-45 DegF as I have not been out there working.

I have been abusing a 7ah battery for the past week or so. The "does it still work" test has been kinda like this: Discharge with resistive load to sub 80% SOC (once to WELL below ~4.5Vdc), mount to 950 and test starting function... compare to when battery is at ~100% SOC. In only a few cases the battery would not start the LC8 engine and that was cause it was almost completely dead... back onto the charger and <1hr later (fast charging it too @ max 7A rate).. .back to abusing it and its still working as well as it did when first put into service. Now granted, I do not have all the scientific equipment to track and graph.. just direct experience in observation of how it is doing its primary job, which is to start the engine. Personally, I do not believe that I would use the 7aH battery for the LC8.. granted it will start it!

All feedback from my customers has been positive and similar in content... WOW.. thats light! .....Then later after installation: This thing ROCKS!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #54
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Hi NipponDave! I may have met you, or one of your cohorts, at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in December. And I thank you for spending the time yakking with me. :^)

The battery in the wife's ("Flying Ant") '08 KTM 250 XCF-W is starting to lose ... ummm ... "it's way." Charges easily - but only goes for a couple of cranks and then dies off quickly. It's been a bit over 2 years so not too much of a surprise.

And I wanted to thank you for all the info and balanced opinions, ND! I'm usually pretty willing to try new technology - but having dragging my feet on the Li batteries. You see, the wife's battery on her Katoom - is my "emergency backup" for my '10 Husaberg FE 390 (which doesn't have a kickstarter). If you saw where we ride ... you would understand our concerns on reliablility.

But I think I'm going to pick up one of your batteries for wife. She is only 5'2.x" and 120 lbs and rides very technical trails. Removing 3-4 lbs. from up high on her bike will definately be a big plus!

Cheers! E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #55
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Comparison to the Batteries Plus Xtreme Permaseal AGM XTAZ14S that I have been using in the 950:

Duration Recommendation: LFX18A1-BS12 MSRP: $186.95

CCA (A): 270
Weight (lbs.): 2.12
Max Charge (A): 18

Batteries Plus Xtreme Permaseal AGM XTAZ14S MSRP: $ 89.99

Weight: 9.0000 lbs
CCA: 225
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #56
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,534
Well, this battery sure has me thinking. I've been dealing with an ongoing electrical issue that doesn't seem to exist. Charging system is working, no draw on the system, but the battery doesn't seem to hold a charge. Cracked cell? Anyway, I think one of these Shorai batteries is going to find itself on the bike in short order. Think I'll go with the high-duration recommendation. Head2Wind, can you source those? I'll be contacting you later this month for the electrical goodness.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #57
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
I want to buy one for my HP2E. I think I'll have it down to about 360lbs.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #58
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
We are waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelmetnl View Post
all i can think of is: When will you have a dealer in europe?

+1
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #59
Metrotexual
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I just ordered a LFX-18A1-BS12 from the the wingstuff.com people. Turns out, the 950's take the same battery as the older gold wings.
07 TTR-230-
08 TTR-50 -
Metrotexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #60
wantok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Australia?

When can we get them in Oz? I'd snap one up.

Wantok
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote