Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
escapeDETROIT OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pissed Bought My first Bike, A 2006 950 Adventure, Having Issues with major oil consumption

I took the motorcycle safety course last Friday, Sat, Sun. On Monday I flew to Denver From Detroit and rode that bitch back to Detroit. This was the first time I had ever ridden a motorcycle outside of a parking lot. The trip went OK except the bike had a tendency to over heat when going slow and used about a quart of oil every 150 miles or so. I ordered a set of piston rings for the bike. I was gonna replace the rings and hone the cylinders. Also towards the end of the trip the bike was losing power at highway speeds, It was fully loaded with panniers and topcase, Bike wouldn't go above 6000 rpm in 6th gear (seemed like a compression issue). Anyone have any thoughts. I'm supposed to leave for Alaska on July 7th.

p.s. I already know I don't know anything so I don't need that pointed out.
escapeDETROIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeDETROIT View Post
I took the motorcycle safety course last Friday, Sat, Sun. On Monday I flew to Denver From Detroit and rode that bitch back to Detroit. This was the first time I had ever ridden a motorcycle outside of a parking lot. The trip went OK except the bike had a tendency to over heat when going slow and used about a quart of oil every 150 miles or so. I ordered a set of piston rings for the bike. I was gonna replace the rings and hone the cylinders. Also towards the end of the trip the bike was losing power at highway speeds, It was fully loaded with panniers and topcase, Bike wouldn't go above 6000 rpm in 6th gear (seemed like a compression issue). Anyone have any thoughts. I'm supposed to leave for Alaska on July 7th.

p.s. I already know I don't know anything so I don't need that pointed out.
Hi! Welcome to the club:) congrats on your ride!

Before you tear down the engine, I'd recommend reading around on the forum. These engines are quite tough, so unless you have 500k miles in it, it's more likely that it's not the cylinder / rings that are the cause of the oil usage. For example check crank breather first - if it's spitting oil inside the airbox. This could also be the cause of the 6k rpm powerloss as well. It could also be - the power loss - a cloged jet in the carb, or improperly vented carbs. Have a look at the wotf on ktm950.info. http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html
Actually I've never heard of an LC8 that lost compression because of the cyl/rings. I know some will argue, but honing is IMO a No-No with these nikasil coated cyls - and once again they are quite robust.

Here is a thread to start with: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795967
Best wishes

Sumi screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 10:34 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hi! Welcome to the club:) congrats on your ride!

Before you tear down the engine, I'd recommend reading around on the forum. These engines are quite tough, so unless you have 500k miles in it, it's more likely that it's not the cylinder / rings that are the cause of the oil usage. For example check crank breather first - if it's spitting oil inside the airbox. This could also be the cause of the 6k rpm powerloss as well. It could also be - the power loss - a cloged jet in the carb, or improperly vented carbs. Have a look at the wotf on ktm950.info.
Actually I've never heard of an LC8 that lost compression because of the cyl/rings. I know some will argue, but honing is IMO a No-No with these nikasil coated cyls - and once again they are quite robust.

Best wishes
This +

If indeed the crank breather you will find a really dirty / oily air filter and an oily front carb.
That would explain the lack of power above 6K. Air filter is clogged.

There is an internal seal in the stator area that dies up and allows some blow by. Also check to see if you have a check valve on the breather tube. This restricts the amount of oil that can get blown up into the airbox.

When testing multiple theories, I usually start with the least expensive options first.

Let us know what you find.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
escapeDETROIT OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks guys, I have someone with a good deal of knowledge who is gonna help. Any thoughts on the overheating/temp warning. Usually at idle. Waterpump? Thermostat? I wish I didn't have a time crunch to get this figured out. When I took the panniers off I didn't have as much of an issue with power. It was a high torque high/high rpm situation.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Thanks guys, I have someone with a good deal of knowledge who is gonna help. Any thoughts on the overheating/temp warning. Usually at idle. Waterpump? Thermostat? I wish I didn't have a time crunch to get this figured out. When I took the panniers off I didn't have as much of an issue with power. It was a high torque high/high rpm situation.
By temp warning you mean flashing 7 bars + red indicator light?

Does the fan come on? Is there coolant in the radiator (take off cap and have a look)?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
escapeDETROIT OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
By temp warning you mean flashing 7 bars + red indicator light?

Does the fan come on? Is there coolant in the radiator (take off cap and have a look)?
yeah, flashing bars and there is coolant in the coolant tank, haven't checked the radiator
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
yeah, flashing bars and there is coolant in the coolant tank, haven't checked the radiator
Once in 2008 I run out of liquid in the radiator while still having level in the little white coolant tank. Awful temperature problems. In the end I found out I had two issues at the same time, bad radiator cap (level kept fine in the coolant tank) and worn out coolant pump shaft/seal (with coolant slipping into the oil). I believe this temperature issue permanently damaged the motor which I eventually (2010) replaced by a new 990.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Make sure the cooling system's air is bled / burped.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote