Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #16
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhively View Post
I made it a few miles down the Natchez Trace Parkway one time, and nearly died of boredom. But compared to crossing TX on I-10 I guess it'll be a blast.
Depending on where you rode--a few miles is just a fraction of a percent of the total length--the Trace can be rather straight and flat. Parts of it offer perfect sweeping curves. In some ways, I too sometimes compare it to an interstate, as it is generally limited access, and it bypasses all the nearby towns

But if you take the Trace for what it is, a historical road important in the settlement of the country and in the years since, then you can thoroughly enjoy the route. The Trace was important during the Civil War, a couple (few?) presidents have traveled the Trace, Meriweather Lewis traveled, died, and is buried along the route, and along the way there are quite a few beautiful modern bridges (which you necessarily can't see unless you turn off the Trace and have a look). You have to stop to appreciate the things it offers, not treat it like an interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
And don't stop off at the four corners monument, it's closed. I rode 200 miles out of the way to find out
They're moving it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
They're moving it.

Jamie
Wait-- how could the Four Corners monument be moved?? It's defined by the geographic location.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Wait-- how could the Four Corners monument be moved?? It's defined by the geographic location.
I'm making a bit of a joke, as the construction at the Four Corners monument coincides with some publicity last year that the monument was placed in the wrong spot. http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/04/...4631240352734/

The U.S. National Geodetic Survey released a rebuttal shortly thereafter explaining why, even if it's not where it was intended to be, it's now considered the legal boundary. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml

Regarding whether it's open or not, the official website says it's open. During construction, it was apparently only open a couple days a week. http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/fourcorners.htm

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Crud. I'll probably have to skip it then.
The Jacob Lake Inn is open all year round! It's not right at the rim, but it's in the area:

http://www.jacoblake.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I'm making a bit of a joke, as the construction at the Four Corners monument coincides with some publicity last year that the monument was placed in the wrong spot. http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/04/...4631240352734/

Jamie
Jamie, I figured you were probably sort of kidding. I didn't realize that the location was not geographically accurate.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Jamie, I figured you were probably sort of kidding. I didn't realize that the location was not geographically accurate.
took me a whole day to figure it out. damn.

as far as the Trace, there's always a 2 lane state highway that's somewhere close to the trace. higher speed limit and generally more interesting, from a riding perspective. If you decide to ride the trace, you can get off of it every 5-10 miles or so if it bores you.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
took me a whole day to figure it out. damn.

as far as the Trace, there's always a 2 lane state highway that's somewhere close to the trace. higher speed limit and generally more interesting, from a riding perspective. If you decide to ride the trace, you can get off of it every 5-10 miles or so if it bores you.

be aware that once off the trace finding it again can be a bitch :) at least it was for me. It's a beauitiful road though. Tank up and get on.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #23
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Taking some tips from recent reports by gypsyrr and AA5IB, I have changed the first map to route through Texas Hill Country. Many thanks to both of you!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Crud. I'll probably have to skip it then.

If that's your general direction , how about Monument Valley. I went there last year and found it worthwhile. For a mere $5 fee the tribe lets you ride down into the valley. The road is dirt ,sand and rocks ,so heads up.

I rode up the Natches Trace from Natches to Nashville on a trip in '02. Everyone kept warning me about the speed limit , but in November I never saw a L.E.O. and ran about 70 the whole way.YMMV.
One thing about the parkway is that gas is not signed at the exits. All there will be is a road # and I didn't have a GPS. So twice in one day, this.

Thanks to the spare gas can ,no walking. Happened twice.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
I'm not sure what part of Houston you want to end up in, but you might like to consider this route from Brackettville in the Hill Country to Houston. 290 from Fredricksburg through Austin is full of stop signs, traffic lights and cars. This route bypasses that and keeps you on some scenic roads much longer. At that time of year, there should be wildflowers blooming all around the area, especially east of the hill country.
Here is a map I put together that changes your route just a bit once you hit Medina, and then takes you south of Austin into Houston. I led the path on the map up to Waller, which is on 290 closer to Houston because I was not sure which side of Houston you wanted to end up in.

Here is a link:
http://www.communitywalk.com/alpine/...ton/map/877769
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #26
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Kristi, thanks so much! That's so sweet of you to take the time to do this. I have updated my route accordingly. BTW my Houston destination is my sister's house, very close to point C in the map.

bk brkr baker, thanks for the Monument Valley suggestion. Easy dirt is fine, but I'm not sure about the sand and rocks on a weestrom with luggage and street tires.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #27
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
bk brkr baker, thanks for the Monument Valley suggestion. Easy dirt is fine, but I'm not sure about the sand and rocks on a weestrom with luggage and street tires.[/QUOTE]

I rode this . 5" ground clearance, 500 lb. plus luggage. You should be fine on the Wee.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #28
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Just a note that I've updated the first two maps in my original posting. The first map now has a tentative rough destination for each evening's stopping point, and the second is changed to do less of the Natchez Trace, visiting some old stomping grounds in the MS Delta instead.

I've yet to give any more serious attention to the return route.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

I've updated the route again (first post) and figured out my first 6 likely stopping points:

B: Beatty, NV, the Atomic Inn. Rated #1 of 6 in that town by TripAdvisor. This town has some interesting history and is a good staging area for excursions into Death Valley.

C: Camping at one of the campgrounds in the Prescott National Forest. This site looks really nice, especially given that hotels in Prescott are expensive.

D: Motel 6 in Silver City, NM. There is nearby camping in the mountains to the East that looks good, but I don't want to camp 3 nights in a row. Every once in a while I've gotta have a shower, a comfy bug-free place for computer work and to wash some clothes.

E: Davis Mountains State Park near Ft. Davis, TX. Looks like great camping.

F: The Big Texas Inn in Kerrville, TX. Looks colorful and cheap and is in a good spot to continue my romp through Texas Hill Country.

G: Houston. With any luck my sister there will put me up. :)
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

My original posting has been updated again with more routing changes. The Westbound route is mostly figured out now.

Mods, please feel free to change the thread title to "Bay Area to New Orleans and Back".