User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #31
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Geez...

You guys has all got short commutes to work. I do 100 miles ONE WAY, and ride to work as much as possible.

Our office is "Business Casual", but we're a Software Development Firm, so that is open to interpretation. I wear ATGATT to and from work. I wear a pair of Ballistic Overpants in cooler weather. Hot humid summer days I can wear shorts and will do so under my mesh pants (If its not disgustingly hot, I just take the car with A/C) I wear a full coat year round and riding boots. My hair problem is quite easy...I have none.

There are a pair of shoes at work and I keep my riding gear in the closet. If I can't wear jeans or shorts because of meetings or clients, I will wear a Golf Shirt and a pair of Cargos or Khakis and seem to make out fine.

There are three of us in the office who ride. Two of us are ATGATT. The woman who's my manager rides a very sweet tricked out V-Star 650, but she's pure pirate, all the way.

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #32
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
ATGATT, by all means. I started commuting with my Olympia AST and Ranger 2 pants, but it is a little too hot in the Phoenix summers and I hated having to change at work. So I purchased the Olympia Stealth one piece which does two things, gives me a nice summer friendly suit and a one piece I can throw over my work clothes. Years ago I had the Aerostich 1-piece I commuted in and it was great also, but when it came time to replace, I did not want to pay the premium price. Bottom line IMHO, a one piece is the way to go for commuting.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #33
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
In business casual or uniform, with full face helmet, and armored mesh jacket, with liner when it's cold, and Danner boots. 30 minutes each way. My duty gear stays at work except for my heater-gat-piece.

Uniform shirt under the jacket, if it's cool, or folded in the pannier, when it's hot. I can be outside for a good bit of my workday, and getting a bit sweaty, time to time, is part of the deal. My hair is short, and a quick brush takes care of helmet hair. So I fit in with my co-workers, unless I have to dress up for some reason, in which case I carry my nice clothes and change at work.

I have 2 pairs of armored pants...but generally do not wear them due to the inconvenience.

Someone will probably chime in with a warning about not wearing armored everything, $350 motorcycle specific boots, etc., so permit me to spare them the time and effort by calling everyone's attention to that.

I really look forward to the ride to work, and to the ride home.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #34
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
ATGATT for my commute.
I wear overpants and a jacket over my work clothes and leave my shoes at the office. Most of my gear just hangs in the office. When the weather is nice I sometimes leave the helmet and gloves on the bike in a locking trunk. However dress code at work is flexible and our parking is secure.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 999
Motgatt

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Laugh Commute...

MotoPort Air Mesh Marathon Jacket and pants over business casual. Alpinestars touring boots exchanged for a set of dress shoes kept at the office. Shoei RF1100 pulled over a buzzed head. Sports coat folded in the side case with the laptop.

Two minutes to pull the entire kit on and be out the door. Why would a person ever be without?
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #37
ride on joe OP
More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer: 119
thanx

Lots of good gear and thanx for sharing your thoughts. Keep them coming!

joe

2000 1150 gs
1998 dr350
1993 dr350
2006 CRF50
ride on joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #38
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
In my previous office and when visiting customers, it was "business casual". Apart from in summer, this meant I could wear black (non-faded/worn) jeans or chinos, and a shirt, with regular bike textile gear over the top. My boots were lace up an when polished and worn under the trousers looked enough like normal shoes. I then put a tie on once I got off the bike.

Now, I need to wear a suit. I keep one in the office (along with smart shoes, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties). When visiting customers, I have a wool suit which resists creasing very well. I carry this on the bike and get changed in the toilet in reception before announcing my arrival.

It makes things simpler that we have "dress down Friday" where you can wear casual clothes, so on those days I dress like I used to at my old office.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #39
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Atgatt

Been commuting on a bike for years now. Everyday rain or shine (easy in San Diego weather). Used up a Spidi Admiral, and now my 'Stich is in serious need of repair (new zippers, velcro etc) Wore out 2 pairs of Sidi Canyons and now using Sidi Adventure Rains.

I keep my shoes in one of my drawers at work, and wear my casual business clothes under the 'stich.

ATGATT for sure!!!
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #40
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
No,

Lucky to be wearing trousers most of the time. It's usually shorts.

I live in Phnom Penh and the humidity plus the sheer volume of 5-15 minute rides I need to take in the city every day make it impractical. Not to mention temperature pushing 40c and high humidity.

If I go to ride outside the city then I wear mesh Dainesse motocross upper body armour, helmet, goggles, gloves, boots and armored pants.

I have never (touches wood) laid my dualsport down on the blacktop - though I have crashed both my Daelim mopeds quite hard here this year. The last one caused me to lose skin on my scalp, forearm, knee, ankle and also left me with what feels like a cracked rib.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #41
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
ATGATT saved me on my commute. My beloved GSA didn't survive the experience. All of the details are detailed in this thread.

I found a closet at work and keep my work shoes in it and hang my gear when I get to work. The gear goes over the work clothes.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #42
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
ATGATT. Commute year round 14mi each way. Work from home if it is >90F or <30F w/ precipitation.

I wear my ultra business casual clothes (jeans) under my 1-pc Roadcrafter. Keep a pair of street shoes at work but often don't bother removing my boots out of laziness.

In cooler weather I wear a primaloft jacket. Below 50F I use a Gerbings heated jacket and a fleece neck gaiter or balaclava. Keep a fleece jacket at work.

On rainy days, I bring an extra set of gloves so I have a dry pair for the ride home.

On hot days, I'll strip to my undershirt for the ride home and wear a Buff soaked in cold water around my neck.

Laptop/lunch in an Aerostich messenger bag. If I exercise at work, I bring those clothes and running shoes in a tank bag. Leave a camp towel and a bottle of Dr. Bronners at work.

Today, we had a surprise thunderstorm during morning commute. Should have packed an extra pair of underwear. Roadcrafters can leak in the crotch during heavy rain.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #43
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
all gear on all the time!

I just into my one piece suit (aero stich or infinity) wearing my work clothes. I wear boots and keep a pair of shoes in my office.

when it's really hot I wear my 2 piece textile/mesh and change in my office.

back pack (plus tank bag as needed)
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #44
Socratease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
ATGATT every day. I have a spare pair of tennis shoes I keep at the office to swap with my boots for the day, but otherwise I wear my office clothes (casual) underneath and hang up the protection in my office. Electrics help to keep the bulk down on cold days, but not much I can do on hot ones except sweat. Backpack is a nice day hike one with a built-in waterproof pull-over sack for heavy rain. I also keep a spare pair of undies and socks in a drawer in case of unexpected rain on the way in.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #45
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Although I try to be ATGATT as often as I can, it is just not practical for me to do so. I commute from Job #1 to Job #2 which is about a 13-mile ride one-way (Job #1 is across the street from my house). Job #2 is an office job working in customer service for a corrugated sheet company. There is no real dress code, but I wear what I wear while I'm teaching in addition to gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots.

The route I usually take is a county road that I'm lucky if I ever see another car for the first 11 miles. I understand there are other things that could happen, but for me eliminating other drivers from my path helps balance out the fact that I don't wear riding pants on my commute. I know others are strictly ATGATT, but I'm fine with that risk if it allows me to still have time to ride.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote