Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #31
Tupperware
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa509 View Post
I found this wonderful piece of 80's era emissions garbage. I will try to find a special place for it in a landfill.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Does anyone know where to get small breather filters for a project like this. The smallest I have found are as big as a D battery. I don't think you need much for a 200cc engine.
Isn't that already a simple breather/oil separator. Why change it?
Also, did you change jets in your carb or just install the "improver" kit? Think it helped anything?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #32
hoffa509 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
For the taillight I used the
APD-34050-00

DRC Phantom LED Tail/Brake Light

from www.polyperformance.com

I did change the jetting.I used a #40 slow jet and a #105 main. They came off an older Honda CB, a tip I found on a forum. It is running great but I have not spent enough time on it to make a final judgment on the mod. Right now I have the tube routed back into the airbox but i want to get one of those mini-pod type breather filters. Anyone know of a good source?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #33
Tupperware
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I installed the "carb improver kit" on mine this morning. Can't say it made much difference. The bike ran very well before, just a little lean. Now, it still runs very well but it's still cold-blooded until fully warmed up. This is what I was hoping to improve upon.
The replacement needle was marked GLB and the stocker was labeled GLC. They both have the same overall length and taper at the tip. The last letter change from 'B' to 'C' indicates a slightly richer mix at the top of the needle which should equate to richer conditions off-idle. Can't swear I felt it. The replacement air screw appeared to be identical to the original. I wound up 1-1/2 turns out on the air screw and did not install the limiter cap this time. This carb does not respond very well to air screw adjustments.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 AM   #34
hoffa509 OP
Adventurer

First trials event

I got the Reflex out to a vintage trials event in Dover, Pa. It was a humbling experience. The only other trials event I witnessed was one that our club put on a few years ago in Virginia. On that course, the 4 line was seemed like a trail around the hard parts. This event seemed much tougher. The lady at sign up suggested I use the three line since the four was so easy. Bad mistake. I got them to change my line after a few runs but it was still very tough for me. I was practicing at my parents’ home in West Tennessee a few weeks before. For those not familiar with West Tennessee it is flat and the only rocks are ones that arrived in a truck. The Dover event was very hilly and rocks were everywhere. The fact that it was in the 90s just added to the experience.
On the good side I got to work out a few kinks in the bike and identified some other items to fix. I was adjusting my brakes and levers throughout the day. I hope to figure out what I am doing and get to more events.
Her here she is before the event:

By hoffaklr at 2011-08-31

Yes, I was the only competitor with a street legal bike. I am sure the headlight helped me see the rocks better.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #35
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
just picked up another one sunday. 300 miles. haven't had a chance to ride it though. while i was test riding it around the sellers yard it died. my cheap canvas deck shoe slipped of the kickstarter and the lever went through my calf. the seller had to take me to the er where i got seventeen stitches in the nastiest wound i've ever had, positively horrifying, a freak thing. learned my lesson as i sit here typing with my leg propped up in the air.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #36
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa509 View Post
I got the Reflex out to a vintage trials event in Dover, Pa. It was a humbling experience. The only other trials event I witnessed was one that our club put on a few years ago in Virginia. On that course, the 4 line was seemed like a trail around the hard parts. This event seemed much tougher. The lady at sign up suggested I use the three line since the four was so easy. Bad mistake. I got them to change my line after a few runs but it was still very tough for me. I was practicing at my parents’ home in West Tennessee a few weeks before. For those not familiar with West Tennessee it is flat and the only rocks are ones that arrived in a truck. The Dover event was very hilly and rocks were everywhere. The fact that it was in the 90s just added to the experience.
On the good side I got to work out a few kinks in the bike and identified some other items to fix. I was adjusting my brakes and levers throughout the day. I hope to figure out what I am doing and get to more events.
Her here she is before the event:

Hey hoffa,

It was nice meeting you at Dover. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more. The heat kills me and I ended up just sitting in the shade when the riding was done. I looked for you at the end, but realized that without your Reflex I had no idea what you looked like.

Did you get settled in to the new place yet? Shoot me a message and we'll get together for some riding & practice. I recently got out the bush hog and weed whacker and cleared out my practice area from a summer of neglect. It needs to be ridden!

Dover was definitely rocky and the sections were long - a challenging first event for sure.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #37
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Hey that WAS my bike. Great job Jimmy!
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,735
Just bought one of these today myself... Ahhh what to do what to do... Tear it all down, just tear the carb down? Decisions decisions...

I like your cafe bike idea ... Who knows if the mrs gets bored with it mine may get somethong similar done to it.

Looks good man.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Cant believe this thread has been inactive for 5 months. Did everybody give up on their Reflex's and if so can I have them?
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #40
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,192
Reflex stuff is over in the Trials section
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #41
montibank
Happy

I still have mine, its sits languishing in the garage. Actually taking it out this weekend with the Mrs. If I had enough time I'd toss the 62 tooth back on the rear and go play on Dusy Ershim with it but I got too much on my plate fer it.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #42
Bark
Panic Dancer

Thanks JeffS77.

montibank: Noticed you had posted in the carburetor fix jetting thread.
I just posted something on my 86 in it.
I couldnt figure out if you had an 86 or 87?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
montibank
Happy

I'll have to check the steering column but I think it is an 86
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #44
hoffa509 OP
Adventurer

A few updated photos. I have done a few Vintage trials events riding the 4 line. The Reflex is not perfect or the best platform but the only thing holding it back is its rider. I keep looking at newer bikes or newer bits for the Reflex but I need to practice and go to some training. Unfortunately, the recent trials training classes conflicted with work. I will try to get in one soon.

One while checking the sections prior to the start.

On one of the sections last weekend.

If you want to see a different approach with someone who can actually ride check out the "Fun with outright junk" thread in the trials section.
My wife also said she wanted to ride it on the street so I put it in real street trim for the first time. I put the original 13 tooth CS on, put on the mirrors, re-installed the shift linkage so you can toe shift normally, and I got a new front tire since the old one would wobble at speed (it was fine for trials). To test it I put 71 miles on it by riding it to work and back the long way. It is slow and not the most comfortable ride but does well at slower back roads. Plus, I am way to tall/heavy to use that as a road bike. My wife's smaller size is more ideal for it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #45
Bark
Panic Dancer

Good pictures.
Years back in CO we saw a guy who beat everybody in the intermediate group on a street legal Reflex.
The only thing he pulled off was his mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
I'll have to check the steering column but I think it is an 86
Only reason I was wondering was I have been trying to see how many more people had carb problems with the 86 vs the 87.
As I posted in the carb section http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772320 I was told by Honda that they had fixed the problem by 87. Wanted to see if it was true or not.

Bark screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 04:31 PM