ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #586
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,670
Mt Bachelor season pass - CHECK

Lucas nominated for Rookie of the Year at International Freeski Film Festival in Montreal - CHECK

http://www.newschoolers.com/readnews...l?c=latest&o=2

What if this is the season of the decade!?!!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #587
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
What if this is the season of the decade!?!!
I'ma get me some. Well, maybe a lot. Powder gluttony, what a way to go.

Think snow.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #588
wachs
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Ordered my tickets for the premier of MSP's "McConkey" October 5 at Squaw Valley.

JG

Heard that was quite an event? We're gonna see it here in Bend tomorrow night.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #589
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Heard that was quite an event? We're gonna see it here in Bend tomorrow night.
What did you think of McConkey? It was quite the blowout.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #590
wachs
just passin' through

Different crowd here - wish I could've seen it in Tahoe, what a life he had.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #591
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Hut Trip Wanted

Well, it looks like my crew is not going to go for a hut trip this winter. I guess the accommodations were too deluxe compared to our usual snow-cave camping. But I still want to! Anyone have a group trip planned that I can join? Or might there be enough interest here to form a group?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post20924681

Cheers,
-mat
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #592
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Well, it looks like my crew is not going to go for a hut trip this winter. I guess the accommodations were too deluxe compared to our usual snow-cave camping. But I still want to! Anyone have a group trip planned that I can join? Or might there be enough interest here to form a group?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post20924681

Cheers,
-mat
Ah. The backcountry hut with lots of PBR and bourbon. Brings back memories…

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #593
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,213
I might be interested in a hut trip depending on date/location.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #594
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Hood Recommendations?

Meeting up with old friends from Humboldt on Nov 1-4 in Zigzag; where we are renting a house on the Sandy [no jokes, that would be obvious...].

They don't ski, but I am looking for some skin up and ski down snow on Hood...is Palmer the only and perhaps the best option? 2013-14 Oregon Snow Park Pass in hand, as I understand it is needed in Timberline parking area.

Any ideas welcomed...need to get on the snow...some up high here in Wallowa Mts but not yet enough to avoid things that go crunch...

Thanks,

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #595
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
... I am looking for some skin up and ski down snow on Hood
As you know, a lot depends on snow accumulation by then, and conditions while you are here. One close-by option is skinning up from the Mt Hood Meadows' Hood River Meadows parking lot, up Newton Ridge and dropping into Newton Canyon--opposite Gnarl Ridge (the other side of Newton Ridge is Heather Canyon / Clark Creek). The access is from the middle of the North side of the parking lot, where the run-out from Meadows' Heather Canyon ends at the parking lot. I think I have GPS tracks somewhere ...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #596
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As you know, a lot depends on snow accumulation by then, and conditions while you are here. One close-by option is skinning up from the Mt Hood Meadows' Hood River Meadows parking lot, up Newton Ridge and dropping into Newton Canyon--opposite Gnarl Ridge (the other side of Newton Ridge is Heather Canyon / Clark Creek). The access is from the middle of the North side of the parking lot, where the run-out from Meadows' Heather Canyon ends at the parking lot. I think I have GPS tracks somewhere ...
+1 on this although its rarely in good enough condition that early in the season--bring rock skis. We did get some early accumulation though so who knows.

The only reliable option (for planning purposes) you have at this time is Palmer. Skin up to Hogsback, maybe drop over to Illumination Saddle, hang out and wait for conditions to soften and then head down. Drop me a line and I might join you if you want company.

Another option is Snow Dome, but its a long trudge to access and if the roads gated fuggedaboutit.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #597
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks...

Yup, I am not even considering the possibility of fresh snow....so Palmer seems to be the workout site and area to get some turns..Time to tune up my Shuksans..and lay in some Ibuprofen...

Another question...out here I ski solo and still carry the usual stuff..probe, beacon, shovel [plus my PLB] and survival kit...do they require any gear on Hood? Figuring the government usually has it's finger in the pie and loves to mandate...would hate to have to spear an Enforcer with my pole if it is avoidable!

Thanks again for the input...

Phil
Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #598
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Yup, I am not even considering the possibility of fresh snow....so Palmer seems to be the workout site and area to get some turns..Time to tune up my Shuksans..and lay in some Ibuprofen...

Another question...out here I ski solo and still carry the usual stuff..probe, beacon, shovel [plus my PLB] and survival kit...do they require any gear on Hood? Figuring the government usually has it's finger in the pie and loves to mandate...would hate to have to spear an Enforcer with my pole if it is avoidable!

Thanks again for the input...

Phil
No requirements or enforcement that I know of.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #599
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No requirements or enforcement that I know of.
Depends on how high you go. If you go above the top of the Palmer lift (i.e. any of the places I suggested) you are entering the wilderness area and are supposed to register at the climbers registry located just inside the Wy'east day lodge (right next to the main parking area). Its free and not having it will cost you if caught ($500 was what the ranger told me). There is/was a climbing ranger on Mt. Hood that did patrol and enforcement in years past but I haven't seen one in a long time. You are also, in theory, supposed to have a Mountain Locator Unit on you but a cell phone will suffice. I think enforcement is done if they have to rescue your ass.

I usually ski solo and carry a shovel, probe, water, etc. You aren't required to have a beacon. Avalanches on the south side are extremely rare and usually happen in late spring much higher up, like along the west crater rim. Oh, and I ALWAYS have my earbuds for that interminable slog up the Palmer.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #600
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Yet Again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Depends on how high you go. If you go above the top of the Palmer lift (i.e. any of the places I suggested) you are entering the wilderness area and are supposed to register at the climbers registry located just inside the Wy'east day lodge (right next to the main parking area). Its free and not having it will cost you if caught ($500 was what the ranger told me). There is/was a climbing ranger on Mt. Hood that did patrol and enforcement in years past but I haven't seen one in a long time. You are also, in theory, supposed to have a Mountain Locator Unit on you but a cell phone will suffice. I think enforcement is done if they have to rescue your ass.

I usually ski solo and carry a shovel, probe, water, etc. You aren't required to have a beacon. Avalanches on the south side are extremely rare and usually happen in late spring much higher up, like along the west crater rim. Oh, and I ALWAYS have my earbuds for that interminable slog up the Palmer.
Forgot to add cell phone; good idea...I never carry one except in the backcountry...being "out of contact" is why I go to the backcountry.