ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,117
Laugh The West by Northwest Racing Thread

Attention racers, race fans and wanna-bees. Especially the wanna-bees.

Racing is fun. It's even more fun when you're racing your friends. Everyone here likes motorcycles, and if you're the competitive sort then you're probably already racing. If you're not the competitive sort, give it a try; you might just surprise yourself. Whether or not you care how you place, you will become a better rider.

I'm hoping to drum up some interest in the smaller local off-road races that seem to get overshadowed by the big ones: Baja, Dakar, etc. 100 miles at Diamond Mill isn't nearly as epic as 1000 miles of Baja but it's still a lot of fun, doesn't cost a fortune, and is something that an ordinary rider can achieve. I figure this will be a big ol' thread to publicize races, organize helping each other out, share advice, and of course talk smack and the usual blather. I'll be posting up about the races I'm interested in, but anyone else can and should post up about what's they're up to. Races you're going to, trail rides with a bit of a training focus, begging for cast off tires or a ride, whatever.

So sound off. Do you want to race? Watch a race? Be pit crew for someone? Let's hear you!

Luke screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 03:12 AM
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Luke OP
GPoET&P

So what sort of races am I talking about? Last year, OregonCoast and I did the OMRA Cross Country series. We've got a thread about it here, if you have some time. Cross country races are long distance- usually 2.5 to 5 hours- over natural terrain. The terrain is everything from really tight woods to open desert. The races are a mix of regular fixed length races, hare scrambles (a variable number of laps in a fixed time) and enduro style paced events. The races are spread out over the west side of the state, with only one being east of the Bend area. I'll be doing the same series again as well as some other races. Oregoncoast will be doing some of the races in the series, along with the Mexican 1000, a very non local race.

There is also a GP series, which is pretty much all timed races on a short (10 mile) track. Those races are shorter, around 1.5 hours. Most of them are at the same track, near Goldendale, WA. It's a groomed track that's mostly flat but has a motocross section. OMRA doesn't run any motocross races, but they do run dualsport events.

We also did the Desert 100, in Odessa, WA. It's on April 9th and 10th this year. As far as I know, it's the last mass-start desert race around. There's a non-competitive ride on Saturday, and the race on Sunday. The start line is over a thousand bikes and nearly a mile wide. It's wild. Oregoncoast and I will be there this year.

Lastly, there are some team endurance races at Starvation Ridge. This is another track near Goldendale, and there are two 6, a 12 and a 24 hour race.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
I'm no racer but there's a good chance I'll show up at a race or two and watch. I like the thread idea.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,066
I'm definitely a wannabee, or maybe more accurately, a wannawuz.

Staying tuned to this bat channel....

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
i'm going to try to get time off to do some of the XC races this year. i want to give it a try!

in fact, i'm thinking about doing the hangover scrambles at washougal on january 1. sounds like a freaking muddy mess!

http://jctra.org/index.php?name=PNph...ewtopic&t=2004
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
i'm going to try to get time off to do some of the XC races this year. i want to give it a try!

in fact, i'm thinking about doing the hangover scrambles at washougal on january 1. sounds like a freaking muddy mess!

http://jctra.org/index.php?name=PNph...ewtopic&t=2004

It looks like a freaking muddy mess, too! Although this year it may be frozen.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420456

It's really nice of them to have the beginners run first. It won't be a total mudpit for them. At least, not for the first lap.

It looks like a good time, too bad I won't make it.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post

Staying tuned to this bat channel....

There's a class for distinguished gentlemen. It starts towards the back, well out of the way of the hormone poisoned idiots. On the longest races, they run a half length course. There're no restrictions on the bike, so a 600 would be quite acceptable.

Just saying.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
There's a class for distinguished gentlemen. It starts towards the back, well out of the way...
Ouch.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Ouch.
In the back, out of the way:

In front, not out of the way:

You can run a faster class if you want. I've found that the race organizers are pretty good at putting people in their place, although it can be rough on the ego.

At this same race, they lined everyone up as usual. The 40, 50, and 60 rows each got their start, then the official asked the rest of us (beginners, women, sportsman) if we would mind letting the children start ahead of us, since it was a tight course and they would likely be much faster than us. If your ego can't handle being beat by a 10 year old, or being told so in advance, you should probably stick to adventure riding .

While I'm at it, here's how the racing classes work in the OMRA. It's similar to the AMA classes (which the rest of the US uses).

AA: The fastest.
AA Vet: The fastest riders over 38 years old.

Open Expert: Fast, no restrictions.
Open Amateur: Slow, no other restrictions. By 'slow' I mean slow by race standards. They're still faster than 95% of advriders that I've ridden with. There are some rules that define when someone should move from the amateur to expert class. (and from beginner to amateur, and expert to AA)

200 Expert, 200 Amateur: The bike must be smaller than 200cc for a two stroke or 250cc for a four stroke. No restrictions on the rider.

30 Expert, 30 Amateur: Any bike allowed, rider must be 30 years old or greater.

40 Expert, 40 Amateur, 50 Expert, 50 Amateur, 60, 70: Sort of like the 30 classes.

Women: Women aren't required to race in this class, but usually do.

Beginner: Only raced a few times. There used to be different beginner classes, but there wasn't enough turnout to justify it.

Junior Expert, Amateur, B, C: Under 15 years old. The B and C are younger, but don't race XC races, just GP.

Sportsmen: Just want to ride the course at a trail pace. Series points aren't tallied for this class.

Most races start the classes one at a time, with a 1 minute interval between them. This keeps riders of significantly different speeds apart from each other. Sometimes there are also separate races for different classes. For example the Timber Mountain race in the pictures above had one race for the AA through 40 Expert classes and another for the 40 Amateur through Sportsmen. Sometimes it's because the course is different, sometimes just to reduce lapping.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
In front, not out of the way:

This is where the term "Wannawuz" comes in.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Here's the calender for next year's OMRA and SIDRA races.

EDIT: (Jan 25) the calenders are now set. Or at least, as set as they ever will be.

Not part of a series:
• April 9-10 Desert 100 Stumpjumpers; Odessa, WA

Sidra (southern Idaho) http://sidraracing.org/
• Feb 19 Oreana 100; Oreana, ID
• Mar 6 Sand City 100; Grand View, ID
• Mar 20 National Hare and Hound round 4; Murphy, ID
• April 3 Broken Sprocket 100; TBD
• April 17 Black Derby race; Murphy, ID
• Oct 2 Outlaws race; TBD

OMRA Endurance races: All in Goldendale, WA
• Mar 6, 6 hour team race Eddieville
• Apr 30, 12 hour race Starvation Ridge
• Sep 17, 6 hour Starvation Ridge
• Oct 29-30, 24 Hour Race Starvation Ridge

OMRA GP (Grand Prix) races:
Mar 19 Eddieville Goldendale, WA
Apr 2 Starvation Ridge Goldendale, WA
May 15 Eddieville Goldendale, WA
Jul 16 Monkey Butt Heppner, OR
Sept 11 Eddieville Goldendale, WA
Sept 25 Jagow Memorial Washougal, WA
Oct 1 Starvation Ridge Goldendale, WA
Nov 13 Eddieville Goldendale, WA

OMRA XC (Cross Country) series:
• Mar 20 Hare scramble Eddieville, Goldendale, WA
• Apr 3 Hare scramble Starvation Ridge, Goldendale, WA
• Apr 17 China Hat ISDE, Bend
• May 14-15 Timber Mtn. Scramble, Jacksonville
• Jun 11-12 Funky Chicken National (sat: youth, sun: others) Elkton
• Jun 26 Devil’s Head ISDE, Tillamook
• Jul 10 Lone Wolf ISDE, Tillamook
• Jul 17 Monkey Butt, Heppner
• Oct 9 HS Shedd, Shedd
• Oct 22-23 Fall Classic, Bend
• Nov 5-6 MRA Race, Bend

Also see the OMRA calender, with links for race-specific info.

Luke screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 04:12 PM
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,561
Quote:
Attention racers, race fans and wanna-bees. Especially the wanna-bees.

Racing is fun. It's even more fun when you're racing your friends. Everyone here likes motorcycles.
Stop it, stop it..........................racing is stoopid...............bla,bla,bla, can't hear you

Quote:
I'm a wannabeen

Did a few of the GP's............fun, but I've always been a "go when you wanna go, stop when you wanna stop" type of rider.
Although I'm sure I would have lots of fun cheering you and Paul on while tipping back a cold one as you guys go by

My Ride Through Roatan

Road Rash screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 10:44 PM
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Señor Squirrel
AKA TTDave

Oddometer: 222
Señor Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,888
Now we're talkin.
I cought the bug last season, and did most of the Washington Enduros and ISDEs, with a couple Hare Scrambles thrown in.
In fact I coulda sworn I saw RoadRash at the Hareport HS in Oct. I even hollered at you, but you probably didn't expect someone "racing" to be hollering! Ha ha
The final one was the 80th annual Cowbell enduro at Walker Valley. Worst conditions / great time.
It was kinda weird getting into racing and signing up in the "Senior" class!
I think I will make it official next, and register for a number.
See you guys at the D100.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
ks02
Always smooth

Oddometer: 241
Luke

Thanks for starting this thread, I used to race sports cars with SCCA and some other vintage groups. I loved the competition and the feeling of being one with the machine. To make a long story short money has kept me out of sportscar racing and I was bit by the motorcycle bug hard about a year ago you know just for fun. Well, I'm at a point were I want to try a XC race or hare scramble. I'm not that good of rider but think a race would be a hoot. I do work on my riding and try and improve every time I go. This thread is an insperation and will race someday in the near future, thanks and keep it up.