User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
rocketman1 OP
rocketman1

Oddometer: 127
Swollen ankles & feet on long rides

Just done 7,000km in 2 weeks and have noticed that my ankles have started to swell up, not too bad, but enough to notice.
I have heard that I should be wearing special motorcycle adventure pressure socks to prevent this quite common occurrence.
Has anyone had this happen and if so what is the remedy.
rocketman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
No you don't need to buy motorcycle compression socks. They are just plain compression socks. They are really tight and go up to just below the knee.

Walgrees does have them. I shattered my foot and for the first year wore Jobst. There are different degrees of compression, with the jobst you probably don't need the real tight ones, measured in mg.

Circulation is permantally damaged in my foot. But I haven't been wearing them. Even on my trip to AK, I didn't. End of the day you could see and feel rings in my foot from the boots. I probably should wear them.

They recommend them for people on international flights too. If you are standing all day there not bad either.

Wear a regular sock over them.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
Just done 7,000km in 2 weeks and have noticed that my ankles have started to swell up, not too bad, but enough to notice.
I have heard that I should be wearing special motorcycle adventure pressure socks to prevent this quite common occurrence.
Has anyone had this happen and if so what is the remedy.
I had this problem for the first time this past summer. A change of seating position corrected it for me. In your normal riding position, are your knees higher than your hips?
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
I pre-medicate with aleve or advil on all my long rides. 12 hour duration makes it convenient.
When the bad ankle was really bad a number of years ago, I'd ice it down every night also. Makes the vodka taste odd but, whatever works
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
I pre-medicate with aleve or advil on all my long rides. 12 hour duration makes it convenient.
When the bad ankle was really bad a number of years ago, I'd ice it down every night also. Makes the vodka taste odd but, whatever works
While I have been known to use ibuprofen for back issues while on long rides, just be careful as to the some of the blood thinning properties and other side effects of some pain killers. I know that in these parts, the hospitals want to know whether you've taken anything like that before they begin treatment or surgery...
As for footwear, I generally wear Techsox or some technical ski socks when I'm riding. These usually provide me with whatever support I need.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Compression under shorts work remarkably good for the butt burn too. $25 Nike or UA at any sports store. Half that at a big box discount store.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Compression socks are tight, they allow the blood to flow out, but restrict the blood flowing in.

when your muscles aren't moving, there not pumping blood out as fast.

I was on blood thinners for 6 months. I had to keep my feet elevated for 12 weeks, until I started walking and the muscles started pumping blood.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
oldmanjob
OMJV7C

Oddometer: 5
At my age (was there when the command was given "Let there be Light)
I make it a point to stop at least every 100 miles if it is possible to stretch my old legs and walk around a little for circulation. For me riding should be enjoyable not painful

Bill
oldmanjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I had this problem several years ago. I went to my internist and blood tests indicated some health issues. Got them taken care of and all has been well since them. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
oyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
yep

Made a long trip this Summer avaeraging about 750 miles per day for several days straight. My feet were swollen like balloons. I think the compression sock idea would be a good one.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I wear compression socks (non-motorbike specific one) when riding offroad all day. Being stood up and the force of shocks coming up from the bike underneath me are enough to warrant the discomfort of wearing them for me.

I won't wear them when flying, even on long haul.

Even for multiday trips, so long as it's predominantly road riding, I've never had a problem not wearing them. Only thing odd in that region is that after long days of riding, my calf is swollen a bit, just above where the top of the boots is. It doesn't hurt, just looks a bit funny. Ten minutes later and it is back to normal, so it doesn't worry me.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Try not to eat too much food that's chuck full of sodium. It tends to retain your fluid. Don't be riding for hours on end without getting off the bike and move. (None of this Tank to tank riding ) This is from my wife / ICU nurse going on 25 years / riding partner.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
RMZMZM
Not adventurous

Oddometer: 336
Pay attention to your hydration. Not all liquid is equal for this purpose, some contribute to dehydration and water retention (not in a good way). The human body will try to hold on to the water is has if it is not getting enough.

2 liters a day is the recomendation for daily activities. It should probably be increased when riding long distances due to the wind (good gear reduces, but does not eliminate the effects)

If you follow that rule, you will have to take more frequent breaks to stretch your legs
RMZMZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,374
only one body

Drink a little through out your riding & try not to play catch up by drinking a lot in one small time period.
Some of the so called health drinks are full of sodium & sugar.
Pass on these & w/ the sweetners additives. Some of these will only increase you need for a personal pit stop.

Not knowing your age nor health issues & would not say anything about compression socks.

This could also be a sign of something starting to show it unhealthy head so consider seeing a sports MD. & that is not a guy hanging out at the gym.

I'm 67 & want to keep riding, so I listen & watch what is going on w/ the only device I have that could stop me from doing what I want to do.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,475
Having had 2 heart attacks in the last 16 month's, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that swollen ankles, lower legs, feet are a real warning sign that that area is not getting proper circulation for whatever reason....
Could be your seat...seating position...riding gear...hydration control...
Could be your right coronary artery...peripheral artery disease...arterial fibrillation...
Motorcycle riding is a cure for swollen ankles, not a cause....
I'd suggest you talk to your doctor about your condition...it's a warning sign for bad stuff....