ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
marlinjames OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 276
2013 oil gsa tires

im sure this has been asked numerous times before but im going to ask. I have a 2013 gsa 1200 with karoo 3's on the front and rear, well the rear has wore out really fast. so im looking for suggestions on a new tire and the best place to get them.

also if i switch to a different tire in the back do i have to change the rear as well?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer
 
whisperquiet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: 62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 928
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169468
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
marlinjames OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 276
Anyone?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: S. Central PA
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinjames View Post
also if i switch to a different tire in the back do i have to change the rear as well?
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is being asked here.....
__________________
Current: 2014 R1200GSW
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
marlinjames OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 276
Tire suggestions and good places to order them.
Also if I can put a different tire on the rear than in the front
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
allowishish
Boof Master
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Denver...ish, CO
Oddometer: 59
YOU can put different tires front and back. Some shops will not do it for the reason of different wear characteristics.

But you can do what you want.

And tires are the holly grale of the ADV world. That's why your not getting much much response.

Good off road and on road..... good wear..... yeah, that's just not how it works. Some tires are getting closer but opinions are VERY strong.

Suggestion.... from 1,000 previous threads ( all heatedly debated)
Heidenau k60
Mitas mc60
Continental tkc
Shinko 804 + 805

Start there and continue to pull your hair out.
allowishish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
marlinjames OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 276
Lol awesome thank you for the help
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
socalnative
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: So. California
Oddometer: 27
How are you going to use your GS and tires?

If you are not going to go offroad or only travel on well groomed dirt roads for maybe 10% of the time. I'd buy any of the name brands sport touring road tires.

None of the 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 GS specific tires are better than today's sport touring tires on the road. And I mean in all conditions. Also wear is far better on the dual or multi-compound tires.

Also they will fare reasonably well on dirt, but not sandy roads.

I run sport touring tires in all conditions and only put on my tkc80s when I'm planning on riding longer in the dirt than onroad.
socalnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
marlinjames OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 276
i mainly ride on the road with a littlenup in fire service/logging roads
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Mr.JAJA
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr.JAJA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, just north of BAJA "laud is out"
Oddometer: 416
Talking If you travel

If you travel 85% road and the rest 15% dirt, (gravel, fire road) you will be fine with any 90/10 tire like Metzler Tourance. Tire wear will be different deepens how you drive, Everybody know this. Hard accelerating, decelerating= tire wear.



Any internet sales is fine, but expect to pay more for installation if you: "Bring the Sausage to the butcher to have it cut". tire shops don't make a penny on the tire, but have the work.
__________________
Mr.JAJA
Mr.JAJA is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014