User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
race24x OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
6'4" 02 BMW 1150 GS Adv rider with questions

Hello there from Fayette Maine. So I have done a ton of reading before posting. So far I like my 2002 BMW GS Adventure. I have a few things that I am looking for and some of the old posts I found those companies where out of business or I am unclear on if the parts will even fit my bike. I have a stock windscreen and of course it is too short. The previous owner gave me a huge windscreen that fit a GS, but in making it fit I could not use the supports and it isnt liking it. I am looking for a screen to get some of the wind off me but not look like I am 90. What would you recommend. (my other bike is a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa with 75K miles on it) I also have issues with my hands going to sleep always have. Do you have a recommnedation for handgrips that will work with the heated handgrips factory? I am also thinking if the footpegs where just a little lower it would be even more comfortable. I have found a couple, but nothing that retains the factory rubber grip on top. I would like to keep as vibration free as possible. The last thing is more specific to my bike. With the new windscreen and not wearing a helmet for a short ride I noticed what sounds to me like spark ping when I lug the motor in high gear. The bike had the cat removed before I got it, but what are the fuel recommendations for these and is there something else I should look at for the spark knock? Knock sensor maybe someone put a modified timing key in it for more power? Maybe I shouldnt lug it so hard with me on it, but I know its not great for the motor. Thank you in advance, hope to meet some of you on the road someday.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 4,019
Wow, a lot of questions in one post. There are lots of windshield threads and there is the windshield FAQ, so I won't bother with that one. On the grips, I'd get Grip Puppies--

On the footpegs, you might think about instead of lowering the pegs, add some height to the seat.

As for your ping, the bike takes the highest octane you can find. Non-ethanol if there's any near you. But mine runs fine on regular ethanol high test 91 octane. Maybe you just not lug it in the upper gears. I keep my bike above 3000rpm just about always. The only time I run it between 2K and 3K is in 1st gear when I'm tractoring through some rough stuff. It's super happy anywhere between 4K and 6K. Just sayin.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
darrell
Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer: 283
Ideas

For the handgrips consider adding a set of O-rings over the current grips. You need 30 each side. Once they get warmed by the OEM heated grips they stay nice and toasty. I got mine from Ted at Excel. Also gives me a better hand feel with my larger hands.

Foot pegs. You can install the fastaways but leave the screws out. You can lower the pegs if installed in one of the options. Then purchase two extra foot peg OEM rubbers. Each side needs 2 of these to fill the 2 slots on the Fastaway pegs. Press them in tightly. I've done this on both of my R1150GSA bikes and had no issues with boots slipping.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
YesRush
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Shield

Get a Madstad.Look at there Silverwing 600 set up.It needs trimmed on the lower metal plate to totally clear head lights but it pushes the air up.I mounted one with aluminum flat stock,like torminators.I mounted my stock shield to it and the air hits me at top of head,neck before.Ride with ball cap shading eyes.Try that with stock setup.You'll be picking hat up more than you ride.
YesRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
race24x OP
n00b

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I will be checking them out. I dont know if the 1150 wasnt a popular model or something, but when I go to Madstat and some other sites they only have the 1200 GS they seem to skip right over my year. As far as the seat it has a nice Seargent seat that is pretty comfy so I was hoping to lower the pegs just a hair maybe an inch - inch and a half. I have seen a Moose 2" taller windscreen pretty resonable, but nothing for reviews on this site. Maybe that and the Touratech spoiler would work well. I found nothing on Madstat for the 1150
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,824
Parabellum

I stand 5'-17" and love the tall version on my '07 GSA. Their website lists the GS but doesn't mention the adventure. I don't know if there is a difference in windshields on an '02 but check it out.

http://parabellum.com/R1150GS-Guard-...hield-P36.aspx

BTW: we really need to see a pic of the bike.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
szurszewski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quick thought about your noise - have you ridden a boxer before yours? Depending on how the valves are set they can make anywhere from "some" noise to "a lot" of noise, and I find it to be most noticeable at lower RPMs (and of course if you are behind a shield and without a helmet).

It certainly could be a detonation issue, but before I went chasing that, I'd make sure it wasn't just valves. Cam chain is another common noise, but when that's bad it's usually worst (and very noticeable) right at start up, and less common on your year than on previous years.

If you aren't familiar with the boxer sound, maybe find someone near you who is and have them listen to your bike in the circumstance you notice the noise...
szurszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,450
When BMWs go quiet they are getting ready to break.

Noisy = good.

I am only 5 11 & hate the windshield on my 04 Adventure. You might have to go huge for the Goldwing experience, or go smaller than stock for cleaner air.

Try riding the bike with the windshield removed and see what you think.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
spriss
n00b

Oddometer: 5
1150GS Pinging

I have a 2000 R1150GS and experienced some pinging as you described and it was driving me crazy. I ended up doing a full maintenance (valve adj, throttle body sync, air filter cam chain tensioner mod, etc) and still had some pinging with 91 octane fuel in CA. The bottom line is that I installed a NightRider AF-XIED fuel controller to richen the fuel/air mixture and it improved the pinging about 95% and it pulls stronger/smoother at low RPM. Check out Beemer Boneyard for more info.

There is also a lot of information about the "Steptoe link" and various Motronic code plugs (do a search). Mine did not have a "code plug" when I purchased it, so I installed a stock (gold) plug which I picked up at the BMW dealer before I installed the AF-XIED.

I hope this helps.
spriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
race24x OP
n00b

Ausfahrt - I dont know why that wouldnt work on either. Looking at the bike in the picture, it erally looks like a GSA tank. In reading it looks like you need to modify a GSA to take a GS windshield in the stock location. Most windshields I find are for the GS and you need to buy some extra parts to put it on your GSA.

Spriss - THat sounds alot like what I am hearing. I didnt know if it was because the Cat was removed or if I was just lugging it too much. In the bikes defense I didnt know better and put regular fuel in it and it sounds like they want high test or 91 octane. I might go the way of the fuel processor that you mentioned here. They usually help with fuel mileage and power when you have one and do just a little tuning.

That brings up another thing 32 MPG is that normal? I am 300 Lbs and ride half of the time with my GF she is about 120 Lbs so I thought I might be a little low compared to others, but I have been reading 50 MPG by some.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
KLRTucson
Hey, a bright shiny thing

Oddometer: 208
I had a 2002 GSA and the only combo I could find that worked for me was the stock ADV screen with Tobinators installed. I also found some of the winglets similar to what are on the 1200GSA, but didn't notice a huge difference with those. I'm 6'4 too and had a Popemobile screen but didn't like looking through it. The Tobinators really helped IMHO.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #12
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
Maybe that and the Touratech spoiler would work well.
I have the spoiler for my 1200 GSA OEM screen and it works very well for me on the highway, plus I can quickly remove it, reverting to a shorter screen when off-road, etc.

As for pinging, the right cylinder on my 1200 started doing that about a month ago, and I first thought bad gas, but two tanks later it still pinged (only when accelerating in 2nd gear). I realized it was due for a tune-up, so I adjusted the valves (one exhaust valve was running loose), changed plugs, synched the throttles and changed the air filter, etc - all better now.

RudyBoy screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 05:50 AM
RudyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,336
On the 1150GS (and maybe other models) the Pivot Pegz can be flipped and that allows to lower the footpegs a bit. around 1/2" I think. Not much. Nonetheless, I have ssen lately a small kit that is fitted between the footpeg and mounting plate and lowers by 1.5" to 2" which is what I think the OP needs. Check for Wunderlich as well as other (most likley cheaper) suppliers.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8160334.html

If it hasn't been done before, may I ask if the OP uses the Adventure seat? If so, it is already a good 1"+ taller than the Low seat. The Adventure seat is actually quite comfortable too.
1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
darrell
Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer: 283
Windshield Option for GSA

On one bike I have installed both tobinators and a laminar lip on the stock screen and have a totally quiet zone with no air disturbance in head area when riding.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #15
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
6-4 here also with a 02 GS

Here is what I have done. Raised the bars about an inch. Lowered pegs with Suburban Machinery pegs and they do accept the rubbers back in them. Also cut two inches off the stock windshield to get clean air. Most helmets are designed to be in clean air as this takes the weight off your head, maybe that's why they test them in wind tunnels also got a Seat Concepts seat. So far feels good. I also put in Lenny's sprockets to drop the power band and I love that the most.
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote