Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #46
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
BTW ... the Enduro kit really stopped my worring about the top case ever falling off ....
I've looked up the Enduro Kit, 71607697847, but there are no pics or individual parts listed. Anybody have a photo, or maybe you could sell me on the idea of bending over for the oem kit rather than putting together the parts from a trip to the hardware store?

Tia. ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #47
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat View Post
Here are two very high tech mods I would like to share...

Figuring it probably gets hotter in the left box due to the exhaust heat, I choose to use that more narrow left case for tool storage. I went vertical with my tool storage in bank bags, held upright by zip ties. It would likely work well with tool rolls too, I bet.

The rubber bands, imported from Germany, keep the lid support cords from pinching in the seals no matter what the angle of the dangle. The rubber bands pictured here are two size number 16, 2 1/2' x 1/16" or 63 x 1.6mm looped together. Works equally well on all three lids, and puts a smile on the faces of observant onlookers. ~Jeff

why cant you also use the rubber bands to hold the bags in place?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #48
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Would shock cord make you feel better? I was just going to bunji for test. Change to shock cord once I work it out and know how much I need.
how do you attach the ends of the shock cord.Do you make bungee type hooks?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #49
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,638
I never got to try it myself. Right after that post I left to South Carolina to help a friend move. I rode down. Loaded my bike in the truck. Then drove the truck back. Long story short my bag got ripped off the bike when the bike fell over in the truck. The latch on the front of the box broke. So I spent the last few weeks tracking one down. But all is fixed now.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #50
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
why cant you also use the rubber bands to hold the bags in place?
Just say NO to bungees. Step away from the bungee. Straps are infinitely variable in length and cinch down a load and stay put w/o launching into orbit upon failure. Nothing says I care enough about my (external) load getting to my destination like securing it with straps.

In this app, there is too much vertical weight, and no need to shock mount the bags and have them bouncing around inside the bag. Get a bungee tight enough to hold the cargo and you just took enough of the elastic out of the bungee to simulate a strap of some type and/or imploded the case :-). One of those bank bags is for wrenches, another for sockets, ratchets and extensions. They start lightening up by the time I got to screw drivers and generic tools. The fourth bag is mostly bike specific tools and electrical tools and spares.

I think an improvement on the zip ties would be wide straps with velcro for adjustability.

I like John's idea of organizing the upper area of the bag. I am thinking if TT made it, it would be a titanium cookie sheet of sorts instead of lexan. I may go with a heavy fabric and velcro for a soft, no rattle first gen knock off of John's idea.

Can we get to page five of this thread w/o doing anything significant? ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #51
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Nobel

Quote:
Here are two very high tech mods I would like to share...

Figuring it probably gets hotter in the left box due to the exhaust heat, I choose to use that more narrow left case for tool storage. I went vertical with my tool storage in bank bags, held upright by zip ties. It would likely work well with tool rolls too, I bet.

The rubber bands, imported from Germany, keep the lid support cords from pinching in the seals no matter what the angle of the dangle. The rubber bands pictured here are two size number 16, 2 1/2' x 1/16" or 63 x 1.6mm looped together. Works equally well on all three lids, and puts a smile on the faces of observant onlookers. ~Jeff

The Nobel Prize for Vario Bag Cord Management goes to Lat!

Elegant solution - will copy with pride today.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #52
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

We stand on the shoulders of giants. Let take a great idea and try to make it better. Below is a 12" Rok Strap. It has a loop at one end and clasps at the other. It is elastic, but strong.

It fits like the zip ties. But it will have to stretch a bit. But nothing horrible.

Rok Staps come in sets of 2. These 12" strap can be bought for around $10.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #53
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
For you to decide

Quote:
... maybe you could sell me on the idea of bending over for the oem kit rather than putting together the parts from a trip to the hardware store?

Tia. ~Jeff

The Enduro Kit was well worth it for me

First, you get this way cool easy to follow 36 page installation manual written in eight (count them 8!) different languages. See below for a few of the pages ..

Second, you get two stainless steel M6 screws with captive washers (hard to find) and self locking nuts.

Third, you get two correct thickness spacers that go between the top case mounting plate and lower bracket.

Fourth, you get two correct thickness spacers that go between the top case and the mounting plate. These are very special as they are kept in place by one o-ring each so when you install the top case you are not forever trying to get them lined up in an inaccessible area. This alone may have saved as much as thirty minutes of installation time if you were to try and do this with two stacks of washers!!!!

And lastly, you get to install all of the other farkles you bought when you visited your local BMW dealership to buy the Enduro Kit and felt bad you only spent $22 (normally about $250 a visit!).

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #54
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Guys!

Yes, Paul, I am that cheap! Thanks for the dissertation!

Dennis~ Your Rok strap variation is a big improvement over the zip ties, especially for my app inside the bag where my buds can't see I am using BUNGEES!

Thanks guys! Happy New Year, everyone! Off for a ride this beautiful sun shinny morn - 60 degrees! ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I like the rubber band/shock cord idea for managing the stock rope door supports -- simple, yet elegant.

I'm thinking about painting the silver parts of my Vario cases with truck bedliner (Herculiner) in the Spring. I'm going to Herculiner the diamond plate floor of my Kendon trailer, too. It's pretty frickin slippery otherwise.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #56
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Hey guys. I bought these bags off eBay. And knowing how I pack, I realize I will never use but one at a time. My hot box has the tent, sleeping bag and tools. And they just fit better individually. If anyone wants one of them let me know. I paided $72 for the set with shipping. $35 and I will pay shipping and one is yours.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #57
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Got some waterproof bags for my road trip to Florida next week. Between the footman loops and bags the storage space is almost double. And can still carry a passenger.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #58
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Waterproof bags

Which waterproof bags are you using, they look like an excellent fit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post

Got some waterproof bags for my road trip to Florida next week. Between the footman loops and bags the storage space is almost double. And can still carry a passenger.
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #59
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

They are the Ortlieb medium bags. There was a sale in the vendors section.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #60
ordnasselA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
SO, any news from the English guy ? I wrote him on the ukgs forum, but no replay. Does any of you have any clue?
ordnasselA is offline   Reply With Quote