Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #106
HDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
This is a great thread where Vario Cases owners can find many ideas and improvements.

Even if those Varios are not intended for "rough" off-road rides, I did this brace in order to secure the lower back of the cases. I wanted to have the cases fixed together to prevent from flapping. For this reason I had to drill holes , one on the left where the rubber leg tip is, and 2 on the right, under the case.

Of course the brace is not required for highway rides (rubber plugs in the holes...), but for off-road rides, with extra weight inside or on the cases, the brace is always on.

HDen
Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #107
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
[QUOTE=HDen;19218377]This is a great thread where Vario Cases owners can find many ideas and improvements.

Even if those Varios are not intended for "rough" off-road rides, I did this brace in order to secure the lower back of the cases. I wanted to have the cases fixed together to prevent from flapping. For this reason I had to drill holes , one on the left where the rubber leg tip is, and 2 on the right, under the case.

Of course the brace is not required for highway rides (rubber plugs in the holes...), but for off-road rides, with extra weight inside or on the cases, the brace is always on.

Did you make the bar or buy it?
Slug.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #108
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
Besides the already mentioned OEM Enduro bolt kit from BMW for the topcase, I added this mirror. The SO and my daughters love it for helmet hair and I like it because it is easier to shave using this than the rearview mirrors.

This is a sunvisor mirror that I got from Kragens and just added some double sided tape to stick it to the cover ...

BTW ... the Enduro kit really stopped my worring about the top case ever falling off ....
got'a keep those darlings happy.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #109
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,438
Very interesting thread guys. I like my vario cases but realize they are kinda flimsy for offroading. Seems to me that they always break off the rear hook on the case. Has anyone looked into a repair kit? Looking at my broken set one would need to affix a bolt inside the rear of the case where the hook was, then make a plate that would span the hook area and allow the bolt a place to screw into. I imagine the plate also being used to reinforce the slot the hooks on the case fit into.

You guys are much more organized than me. I put cameras and shaving kit in the left small bag, mebbe some flip flops. The right bag holds clothes in an old gym bag and running shoes stuffed on top. My 65l jesse top case didn't fit as I had hoped in this thread so I have a plate the box is bolted to that takes the place of the rear seat.

The topcase holds everything else, tent, sleeping bag, tools, rainsuit, maps, and anything else I need. It also makes a good place to set food or beer on.

Anyway, great thread. I'm gonna see if I can make a case saving kit that will allow a quick fix on the road but will be stable.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #110
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Very interesting thread guys. I like my vario cases but realize they are kinda flimsy for offroading. Seems to me that they always break off the rear hook on the case. Has anyone looked into a repair kit? Looking at my broken set one would need to affix a bolt inside the rear of the case where the hook was, then make a plate that would span the hook area and allow the bolt a place to screw into. I imagine the plate also being used to reinforce the slot the hooks on the case fit into.

You guys are much more organized than me. I put cameras and shaving kit in the left small bag, mebbe some flip flops. The right bag holds clothes in an old gym bag and running shoes stuffed on top. My 65l jesse top case didn't fit as I had hoped in this thread so I have a plate the box is bolted to that takes the place of the rear seat.

The topcase holds everything else, tent, sleeping bag, tools, rainsuit, maps, and anything else I need. It also makes a good place to set food or beer on.

Anyway, great thread. I'm gonna see if I can make a case saving kit that will allow a quick fix on the road but will be stable.
Can you provide some pictures of the broken hook? We might be able to come up with some suggestions.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #111
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I put cameras and shaving kit in the left small bag,
I sure wouldn't suggest putting electronic gear or anything combustible-ish, or under pressure in the left box due to the heat from the exhaust, at least not in the warm months. It could be a benefit in cold weather though condensation might be an issue due to temp change in the cold? ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #112
bmwgirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Pissed Vario top box FALL OFF

Just wanted to put this out on the community as a heads up. I lost my vario top box (tail) on a highway this past week-end. The green lock indicator was visable. The box has been on my bike for months -- and I had been riding over 6 hrs that day - no problem. Had gone into the box at each stop -- wasn't lose or anything. I did switch lanes to pass a car and there was the rather typical road bump stuff - maybe a bit more -- but NOTHING that I thought about. Luckily my gas light was on so I stopped at the exit -- that's when I realized it was gone and so was my wallet. luckily I had a few bucks in my pocket so I went back and yes - where I passed, sure enough, there was my box - which had committed suicide in the center divide - no pull off so long story short - with the help of a tow truck I got it back -- and 90% of my stuff - including my wallet -- another lesson learned. Anyone in the off road world probably has heard of these coming off. They have and they do -- but in my situation - that's odd. I got one comment back on Facebook that he knew about the problem and put a bolt through the bottom to add more security. Now - do I buy another one??? I vote no
bmwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #113
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
All dealers know about the 'bolt' fix.

And...the top cases aren't the only Varios to do an "unauthorized walkabout".

Had one of my side Varios do the "U W". Cager drove up along side of me and pointed at the bike.
Never felt it leave...sneaked away very 'stealthy'.

G-O-N-E. When over the same course 5 times and never found.

100 THREADS all GS/GSA owners should read.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836736

38. HOW CAN I KEEP MY VARIOS FROM FALLING OFF?

BTW...if you ride with your cases LOCKED...make sure you put an ID tag on the OUTSIDE of the case.

That way...if/when lost finder can contact you.

Putting your info INSIDE the case...like I used to do...renders your case useless to finders.
They'll DESTROY your case trying to OPEN.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:34 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #114
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgirl View Post
Just wanted to put this out on the community as a heads up. I lost my vario top box ... I got one comment back on Facebook that he knew about the problem and put a bolt through the bottom to add more security. ...
No need for a heads-up for us here, this is an old, well-known issue. Peruse these forums often, to be aware of possible gotchas on your bike. It's a complex machine with a lot of idiosyncrasies. I would not rely on Facebook for technical info on the GS - all Know-How is available here.

There are four ways to get the top case airborne.

1. Latch is not latched properly. Yes, it's true, it can happen if you are in a hurry and not careful - it will lock even if off-plate. The sidecases have the green lock indicator, but not the top case, as I recall. Are you sure you saw that?
I learned the hard way that I need to double-check every latch before riding off: I managed to lose or drop open my cases on many bikes...

2. If your case latch or case bottom is cracked, it will not hold solidly. You should be inspecting the case periodically to assure it is not damaged. Cracks are known to develop with age and use/abuse. Are you checking out your machine?

3. If not that, you may have had an older case that did not have the "anti-fly-off" pin. Those cases may shift forward upon impact and slip out from the latch. You may have felt that it was not a big hit, but it very likely was.
Did you have the anti-fly-off pin in your top case? (More info in this thread).

4. If you have a tendency to hit big potholes in the road or ride a lot off-road, you may want to get the Enduro Kit, which is basically a bolt that fastens the topcase to the carrier plate. You give up removability, of course. I never felt that it was worth the tradeoff.

rdwalker screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 12:06 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #115
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 539
Instead of bolts I used clevis pins to hold. No tools required to remove or install the case. Ace hardware is my go to place.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #116
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #117
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Wicked

The two bolts seen in the top of the last picture hold a thin strip of steel which was painted black and epoxied onto the underside of the case to beef the area up and prevent cracking. I've had no problems with the case since it was mounted for daily use almost 5 years ago.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #118
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefahrt View Post
Instead of bolts I used clevis pins to hold. No tools required to remove or install the case. Ace hardware is my go to place.

That's pretty neat. Robert.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #119
gladiator400
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bungee cord in lids

I formerly had an F650GS with vario cases of the old school type and the only thing I really disliked was everything falling out when I opened the left one when on the sidestand. When I got the new GS, I wanted to do something better. I saw this idea on another site and thought it was worthy of posting here as it was really easy as I was able to use bungee cord (I really purchased a pair of extra long bungees at Lowes), some p clips in the hardware specialty drawers, and used the factory screws. Works well, especially when using envelope type bags, clear travel bags, etc.

I hope pics post ok, first time posting.

gladiator400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #120
parkbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I want to see how you modified Vario cases. Straps to prevent stuff from falling out? External loops? Reinforcements? Lights? Something else?
Just installed loops on my Vario bags. Thanks for all the good ideas
parkbum is offline   Reply With Quote