Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
rudk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Yamaha WR250R/X

Yo folks, new user here.

I'm in the market for either a bigger displacement KTM (690), Husky (610/630) thumper, or, as mentioned in the title, a Yamaha WR250R/X.

I test rode all the bikes except for the Husky 630. Because of the Yamaha, I've had a test ride with two R and two X models. Basically I've liked the Yam very much EXCEPT for the rear shock. With one of the W250R I've tried, which was basically off the showroom and had only 20 miles on the clock, the rear shock was working the best. The three other models had all between 2000 and 3000 miles on the clock and rear shock, especially damping/rebound, seemed to be much worse compared to the first one and basically non-existent compared to KTM/Husqvarna.

I've seen the Yam W250R Mega Thread, but it's over 1400 pages, so I thought it more simple to ask the question separately.

What's the experience you Yam W250R/X riders have made with the shock?
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,214
I haven't had the privilege of riding a few of them myself, but I can testify that for cost purposes the factories usually put something resembling fish juice in the shocks, good for a ride around the block but useless in the long run.
The frog-spawn that came out of my XR rear shock was awesome, but useless for damping, and the whale-snot that came out of the front forks was alien to terrestrial life, and similarly useless as a damping fluid. A service fixed them both.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,853
yeah the shock is worthy of fixing, travis at go race suspension gets a lot of good recomendations in that thread.

I haven't had mine done yet but many people have and are more than happy with stock shock revalved and sometimes re-sprung.

http://go-race.com/wordpress/
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist View Post
travis at go race suspension gets a lot of good recomendations in that thread.

I haven't had mine done yet but many people have and are more than happy with stock shock revalved and sometimes re-sprung.

http://go-race.com/wordpress/
I had it him do my shock and spring. Expensive, but was the best money spent on my bike to date! It should be the very first mod done. Well worth it!
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
I had it him do my shock and spring. Expensive, but was the best money spent on my bike to date! It should be the very first mod done. Well worth it!
+1 for Travis at Go-Race. I had him do forks and shock. Best mod I have done to my R2....

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
blackliner
Killer of zombies

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Can you give me an idea of "expensive"? Are we talking BMW expensive or KLR expensive?
blackliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudk View Post
Yo folks, new user here.

I'm in the market for either a bigger displacement KTM (690), Husky (610/630) thumper, or, as mentioned in the title, a Yamaha WR250R/X.
So it's between a 690 and a 250? Was the 250 that good?
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
I don't have a problem with my WR250R stock shock using the adjustment range provided. But I am not a "go like your hair is on fire" rider, I'm more the 50/50 true dual sport rider exploring the mountains, often on multiday trips, not trying to see how fast I can get from Point A to Point B. For my use (and my weight) the stock suspension could be better but it is not bad at all.

If you want to see a lot of discussion in one place about the WR by those who actually own the bike, of many different riding styles, go to the WR250R/X only link below and check out the "Suspension" forum. Lots of WR owners here on ADV are also members on that board

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Last I checked it was about $350 for everything but re-spring on the shock. Very reasonable IMHO. I still need to get mine done.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
The shock and fork adjustments are set near the middle from the factory.
I didn't like the fast rebound on my shock so according to several WRR shock set-ups, I cranked rebound full and compression 1/2 way and full compression up front and 1/2 rebound. Works night and day better than stock set-up.
That took care of the bouncing rear end and soft forks and help even out the front and rear.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I don't have a problem with my WR250R stock shock using the adjustment range provided. But I am not a "go like your hair is on fire" rider, I'm more the 50/50 true dual sport rider exploring the mountains, often on multiday trips, not trying to see how fast I can get from Point A to Point B. For my use (and my weight) the stock suspension could be better but it is not bad at all.

If you want to see a lot of discussion in one place about the WR by those who actually own the bike, of many different riding styles, go to the WR250R/X only link below and check out the "Suspension" forum. Lots of WR owners here on ADV are also members on that board

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/
True. The only time it really acts up is on multiple whoop type situations or jumps when it can kick a little. That's been my experience. Even flat out on a bumpy dirt road it's been okay. Rebound damping under more extreme conditions is where it can be improved I think.
Of course they had to try to please a wide spectrum and make it possible to carry a passenger stock.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Even if you ride like a spode, the shock fix can save your butt from a bad unexpected hit, on or off-road. Using go-race (who really has the WRR shock dialed-in) costs about 300 + bucks, and if you're under 175 lbs you should opt for the lighter spring also (another 110 bucks). The rear will now do two things, it will follow the terrain, vastly increasing traction and wheelie-ability, and it will not over-react spraaaaang-wise to being compressed. In my always humble opinion, the stock front is good to go for most off-road, it justs needs careful dialing-in by someone with experience in such matters.

I didn't even need to adjust the shock clickers when I put the go-race modified shock back on. That is a first in over 40 years of riding.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Even if you ride like a spode, the shock fix can save your butt from a bad unexpected hit, on or off-road. Using go-race (who really has the WRR shock dialed-in) costs about 300 + bucks, and if you're under 175 lbs you should opt for the lighter spring also (another 110 bucks). The rear will now do two things, it will follow the terrain, vastly increasing traction and wheelie-ability, and it will not over-react spraaaaang-wise to being compressed. In my always humble opinion, the stock front is good to go for most off-road, it justs needs careful dialing-in by someone with experience in such matters.

I didn't even need to adjust the shock clickers when I put the go-race modified shock back on. That is a first in over 40 years of riding.
Definintely on my to do list, I've just been putting up with stock and not been off road too much lately.
Plus I'll need to do the spring so $$$ are part of the equation.

I haven't done a pwr programmer or pipe either but I'd do the shock first anyways.
Safari tank is the only big item I've added to the bike.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Yo folks, new user here.

I test rode all the bikes except for the Husky 630. Because of the Yamaha, I've had a test ride with two R and two X models. Basically I've liked the Yam very much EXCEPT for the rear shock. With one of the W250R I've tried, which was basically off the showroom and had only 20 miles on the clock, the rear shock was working the best. The three other models had all between 2000 and 3000 miles on the clock and rear shock, especially damping/rebound, seemed to be much worse compared to the first one and basically non-existent compared to KTM/Husqvarna.

I've seen the Yam W250R Mega Thread, but it's over 1400 pages, so I thought it more simple to ask the question separately.

Any suggestions out there whould be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Ive researched for a while now looking for that perfect dual sport and unfortunately it's not out there. You have to make compromises. If it's great off road it's probably not that great on road. The 690r was on my top three list but I ended up buying a wr250r. It's manageable on technical trails, can travel at hwy speeds with minimal vibration and reliability seems to be good. Sounds like a great choice right? Problem is I hate the lack of power it has. I'm used to my crf 450r that I can barely keep the front wheel on the ground. I miss that roll on ability to pull a wheelie. The wr2 just can't do that. I decided against the ktm mainly because of what seems like reliability issues. Seems like in the 690 thread everyone loves the bike but they are always talking about some issue they are having. Is reliability really an issue? Does the ktm vibrate bad at 75? Ill be traveling 500 miles hwy to get to the trailhead to ride 2500 miles offroad. I just dont love the 250 but don't want to buy a GS because couldn't imagine dumping over such an expensive bike.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
66T
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hmmm. I don't get it. If you want a 690, a 250 cannot compare, so why try to? Especially a 'softer' one like the WR-R. And I think it hardly fair to give the WR-R a bad rap against bikes 2.5 times the capacity. Compare it with other 250 traillies, imo.

Re the suspension argument: there are some of us who definitely do not want harder/tougher susension. My 250R is used for work, mustering and droving sheep in the far north of SA. It lives offroad, and is ridden up to 10 hours a day (sometimes more) when I'm at work, on corrugated station roads and cross-bush country (ie varied terrain from rock to scrub to sand) at very slow to semi-fast speeds. The last thing we need is suspension that beats the crap out of us, so it's the old horses-for-courses story.

I think the WR is hard work for road use. Not shocking, just that there are better bikes. It's expecting way too much for it to compete with bigger bikes in that environment. I have a Tenere for that, but the 250 would absolutely kill it off-road. IMO.

66T screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 07:04 PM
66T is offline   Reply With Quote