ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
gs2008 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
BMW Navigator IV or Zumo 660

Hi All,
Hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction. Looking a buying a GPS for myself. Have decided Zumo 660 is that way to go. But the dilema is do i get the BMW Navigator IV or Zumo 660 with touratech mounts. I ride 1200 GS. I am not sure if i get one or the other what am i missing out on or will i be paying too much etc etc. I would want both city and off road maps and am based in Australia. Thanks
Cheers
Gagan
Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
I have had the Zumo 450, 550 & currently the 665. I would vote for the 550, the screen on the 660 series is no where near as good as the 450/550. Way to hard to see in sunlight.....
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
gs2008 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thanks all for replying.
I do like the features of Garmin Zumo hence the choice. But my question is wetaher to go with the BMW Navigator IV or Zumo 660. specifically
- Can add extra maps to the BMW
- with a Zumo i will need to buy mounts, bar, adapter for power etc. and then setup is it worth it doing that way or get the BMW NAV IV and everything is already setup for it but it is slgihtly expensive and are any benefit as support is through BMW

Cheers
Gagan
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
anotheroldfart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
BMW also supplies an optional car kit for the Navigator IV. ($120+tax)

For BMW bikes, the Navigator IV is a play n' play install.
anotheroldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
mkatz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheroldfart View Post
BMW also supplies an optional car kit for the Navigator IV. ($120+tax)

For BMW bikes, the Navigator IV is a play n' play install.
What do you mean by "play n' play"?
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs2008 View Post
Thanks all for replying.
I do like the features of Garmin Zumo hence the choice. But my question is wetaher to go with the BMW Navigator IV or Zumo 660. specifically
- Can add extra maps to the BMW
- with a Zumo i will need to buy mounts, bar, adapter for power etc. and then setup is it worth it doing that way or get the BMW NAV IV and everything is already setup for it but it is slgihtly expensive and are any benefit as support is through BMW

Cheers
Gagan
The only features that the Nav IV has over the zumo 660 are rather nominal aside from the mount/buttons:
  • You can add maps to either unit - they are the same software
  • The only difference between the hardware you get with the Nav IV is the power CANBus connector. The zumo 660 comes with the equivalent Motorcycle Mount and RAM components to the BMW Nav IV.

The "software" support still comes from Garmin - not BMW. BMW provides the Dealer POI database which is a BMW exclusive add-on (install).

If you are not in a hurry to acquire one of these, you might consider delaying your purchase to see what might be available in the Spring. The Nav IV and zumo 660 are both a couple years old now and have not seen a unit software update in over six months.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 03:55 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
anotheroldfart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
What do you mean by "play n' play"?
You plug the Navigator IV mount two cables into two matching sockets on the BMW.

Then play...
anotheroldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,406
There are small software differences. The one that comes to mind is the ability to share a route via bluetooth (NavIV). For some reason, I think this may now be available in the new 660 sw.

Main diffs are accessory related -
1) The NavIV mount comes with the BMW plug that connect directly with the harness (read - no need to run wires anywhere).
2) The NavIV mount has big glove friendly buttons on the left side; same button config as on the 550.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
sadrik
Riding, not posting

Oddometer: 10
My last 3 motorcycle GPSs were the Quest, Zumo 550 and now the Zumo 660.

I really miss the screen and the stable performance of my Zumo 550. But the lane assist feature, faster performance and nicer form factor of the Zumo 660 keeps it on my bike now. For note, the Zumo 550, 660 and 665 all come with both the motorcycle mount (RAM) and the car mount.

However, I sorely miss the left side buttons on the Zumo 550. When I saw that the Navigator IV came with a cradle sporting those 4 buttons, I was very very tempted to upgrade.

However, I heard one report that a shortcoming of that BMW cradle is its audio out jack only does mono. I find that Bluetooth isn't the greatest for my typical 12+ hour tour days, and I find bluetooth tends to be a bit staticy. Plus the earbuds I use are also modestly noise-muting; something I always gave up when I was using Scala Rider and Interphone BT helmet headsets.

Anyway, I'm now content to stay with my Zumo 660 over the BMW option; the BMW unit is more expensive and even the possibility of the audio out being mono-only is a showstopper for me.
sadrik is offline   Reply With Quote