User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Jetboil vs pocket rocket

I have an opportunity to pick up a Jetboil on sale but it looks so much bigger and bulkier than my current pocket rocket that I have been using for years. My PR packs up super small and tucks very neatly into my cookset with lighter.

I have seen other campers with JB and it all looks pretty impressive with a roaring flame but as a solo camper,do I really need that? I am not a big cooker, coffe,oatmeal,steamed veggies,soup ect, but I would like to get into more camp cooking.

At D2D everybody had a JB and I was a bit of a wiener with my PR, but it's served me pretty well so far.

Am I really getting that much more with a JB? Is it worth the money? The only complaint I have about my PR is that pots are very slidey on the burner,you must be very careful as the pot can come off very easily.

I have never had it happen yet but I am very careful when it's in use.

So for the added bulk,weight and price am I really getting a superior cook system over my current setup? Oh, and the Jetboil accessories, gulp, cha Ching....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
If I was going to make a change from my current Snow Peak Giga Power Titanium (similar to your PR) I'd switch to a MSR Reactor stove. It's bigger, heaver and more expensive than the Jet Boil but it boils water faster than most stoves.

For the amount of cooking I do I can't justify the extra bulk of a bigger stove setup.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/st...ystems/product

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
srebello
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
The biggest reason is convenience. I just did the John Muir Trail so 17 days with my wife and several others. Only 2 PRs, mine being one, and 3 JBs. We ate pretty similar as all groups. Fuel consumption was essentially the same and boil times were pretty much identical for people cooking single. My wife and I were doing twice as much water, so we were about 90 seconds longer to boils. Keep in mind most of this was at 8-10000 feet on average.

The JB shines with convenience. It's one stop shopping. It's already packaged nicely, we have our own set up, but it doesn't come that way. With the JB you can only fit certain size fuel containers inside. Whereas our set up we can fit most size canisters, 8 oz or less. The regular size JB is primarily set for less than 2 cups of H2O, although they do sell the larger pot.

Really just another flavor of the same.
srebello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 466
I was at REI yesterday looking at a Pocket Rocket (on sale for $29.99). Approx how many liters of water can you boil with one 8 Oz can of fuel?
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I have the pocket rocket. My friend the JetB. 4-1 on boiling jet over pocket. Yes at least 4 litres per my 1 litre on the pocket rocket. Jet boil or reactor is the way to go if you are only boiling water
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I was at REI yesterday looking at a Pocket Rocket (on sale for $29.99). Approx how many liters of water can you boil with one 8 Oz can of fuel?
My b/f and I do a two week moto-camping trip every year and I bring two 8oz cans of fuel for use with my Snow Peak Giga-Power (very similar to the PR). I do a lot of (good) cooking when we camp, and I use about 1 1/2 canisters. Boil water for hot cereal and coffee in the morning, as well as a bit of hot water for washing the dishes and ourselves. Use the stove for the evening meal about 5 nights (most of the evening cooking is over the campfire unless it's pissing down rain) and hot water for washing up.

If I was looking PR v. JB, the PR is the better bang for the buck imo. If you have a good pot set (I paid about $50 for my MSR two-pot set which has withstood plenty of cooking and one very bad bike drop so it's now dented), you can cook almost anything (you don't need a skillet). The cost of the accessories for the JB is just too much for me. My pots are non-stick and I usually can just wipe them out with a cloth.

I prefer the Giga Power over the Pocket Rocket because you can get a wind deflector ($10) that makes it more efficient so I don't have to hold a Gazetteer around it on windy days.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,199
Can it simmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
If I was going to make a change from my current Snow Peak Giga Power Titanium (similar to your PR) I'd switch to a MSR Reactor stove. It's bigger, heaver and more expensive than the Jet Boil but it boils water faster than most stoves.

For the amount of cooking I do I can't justify the extra bulk of a bigger stove setup.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/st...ystems/product
I'd sure like to know how well the MSR Reactor will turn down to a slow simmer. I've found that ability very handy when I have other things to do in camp.
What say, you guys using the Reactor?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
I'd sure like to know how well the MSR Reactor will turn down to a slow simmer. I've found that ability very handy when I have other things to do in camp.
What say, you guys using the Reactor?
I use the MSR Dragonfly because of the ability to adjust the flame to the extreme.
http://www.rei.com/product/709002/ms...kpacking-stove
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote