User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
My new Airhead,'78R100/7, soon to be Cafe Racer

She does not look like much yet, but my Restoration/modification is well under way. I will post pictures soon, but most of the work is not yet picture worthy, or is at the machine shop.

I've been riding all sorts of motorcycles for well over 20 years, and worked as a mechanic for quite a while. but this is the first Airhead I've ever ridden, and after that, I had to have her.

She looks pretty poor, but a PO loved her deeply, and installed Dyna ignition/coils, braced swingarm, dual plug heads, and fork brace, and billet top triple. I hope to do her justice, and make her better than ever.

So far I have new rubber Avon AM26's, a /5 rear hub, Sun rims/spokes (Buchanans) Honda CB750 front hub, which allows 20mm wheel bearings, to fit the GSXR fork. I'm better than half done with the new stainless exhaust as well.
I'm really enjoying the work, and can't wait to ride her again. Thanks for taking a look at my first, but not last BMW

Houseoffubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Just a few pictures, to keep things interesting. I promise to make this a much more interesting thread soon!

I picked up some stainless steel fenders off Ebay, stainless is hard to find, and a bit of money, but I needed to be able to weld up some of the holes to custom mount them, and cut to fit, without the edges rusting.

This is about as far as the exhaust has come. I need to order the stainless megaphones still, but I just got laid off, so moneys tight. Soon though!
One more pic of the exhaust, just because I am having a lot of fun making it, and want to show it off!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
zschrempp
Airhead

Oddometer: 15
Hi there, I am also in Bothell!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschrempp View Post
Hi there, I am also in Bothell!
Must not be too bad of town, lots of Airheads here
Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'm just down the road in Shoreline...looks like you've got some skills. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
From the photo it looks like flat top Bings, I believe those were on the R80, mine had the 32mms on it. The throttle cable is at too sharp an angle but it sounds like you're overhauling it.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
MaraBiker
Vozi Miško!

Oddometer: 97
Quote:

What are you going to do with that seat
Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
lulu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I've seen R80/7 with that color scheme, bur never any r100. Is it originally an r80 or an r100?
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
my Restoration/modification is well under way.
I think it's safe to call it just a modification.. not a restoration.

Sounds cool so far..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
simonboxeproject
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
nice pipes

Hi looks interesting,doing somthing along the same lines myself http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=123593&page=4
done a fair bit to the frame on mine but havnt goy round to the pipes as yet.what are you planning for the back end of the pipes?
simonboxeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I've seen R80/7 with that color scheme, bur never any r100. Is it originally an r80 or an r100?
I've only seen a few, but when I Googl'ed '78 R100/7 the images came up with a couple in this scheme. Other than that, The title says R100, I guess it is

I think it's safe to call it just a modification.. not a restoration.
"Some" parts will be restored

What are you going to do with that seat
If you like it, you can have it!
The bike came with Krauser bags, and a new solo seat. I gave the seat to a fellow who wanted it, I will be making a cowl, and 3/4 solo seat
Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboxeproject View Post
Hi looks interesting,doing somthing along the same lines myself http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=123593&page=4
done a fair bit to the frame on mine but havnt goy round to the pipes as yet.what are you planning for the back end of the pipes?
I've been following your build, I'm going to do quite a few modifications, but perhaps not quite as far as yours
I'm going to try to make the bike look actually older than it is, to the casual observer, but improve it's handling, and performance. Hence spoke wheels, chrome fenders with GSXR forks.
As for the pipes, I'm planning reverse cone megaphones, just straight out the back, as in the pic. I debated all kinds of high pipes, 2into1, ETC. but stuck with an older/classic style design.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
simonboxeproject
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
your project

I look forward to seeing how you get on with your bike, looks like you have got some good bits together. I am now wondering what is the shock, how wide is that rim and what hub you thinking of lacing it to?.

My plan is to also try and not stray into too modern looks. i want to try and keep it looking like thr r100 it is, thats why i have kept the tank and seat unit. i plan to make new yokes, reaysets etc.
i am trying to make my mind up as to the finish on some of the ally parts, ie polished, painted or anodised...
ps here is a pic of the state of play on the frame sofar

simonboxeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,121
as much of an ass as I make of myself bashing BMW's I have to admit boxers make a pretty sweet cafe if done right.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Houseoffubar OP
fine beer sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboxeproject View Post
I look forward to seeing how you get on with your bike, looks like you have got some good bits together. I am now wondering what is the shock, how wide is that rim and what hub you thinking of lacing it to?.

My plan is to also try and not stray into too modern looks. i want to try and keep it looking like thr r100 it is, thats why i have kept the tank and seat unit. i plan to make new yokes, reaysets etc.
i am trying to make my mind up as to the finish on some of the ally parts, ie polished, painted or anodised...
ps here is a pic of the state of play on the frame sofar

I love your polished sub-frame, I am making a new unit for my bike, out of 3/4in, polished stainless
The wheels are skinny 2.75x18 rear, and 2.5x19 front using /5 BMW rear hub, and a CB750 front hub. The shock is a 2008 R-1 Yamaha. I actually like dual shocks, but I need new ones, and they are expensive to get good ones, but an almost new single shock is $20, so....