User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Sahara 3 on an airhead

Anyone here running a Sahara 3 on their twin shock airhead? I saw one on a ride and was just wondering about the size and how you liked it. And what are you running on the front.

Thank you
My Blog
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardak View Post
Anyone here running a Sahara 3 on their twin shock airhead? I saw one on a ride and was just wondering about the size and how you liked it. And what are you running on the front.

Thank you

This tire was specifically designed for the paralever GS, but I can't help but think it works well with a twin shock.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 911
I'm putting a set on my retro prototype PD G/S...dual shock version.

Will let you know in a couple months when the project is done.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,216
THey are a great riding tire, but are a little expensive and dont last long, imho.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They are one of the few deep tread tires available in the stock size (4.00-18) but I was wondering if it actually fit or if anyone was using one of the metric sizes.

Richard
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
This tire was specifically designed for the paralever GS, but I can't help but think it works well with a twin shock.

Steve
I thought they were designed for the G/S... maybe I'm wrong?

In any case, I run them on my G/S. Front tends to cup some, rear does fine. The front also tends to whine a bit, but I've gotten used to it. Otherwise excellent do-all tire, but yes, expensive and they don't last very long.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardak View Post
They are one of the few deep tread tires available in the stock size (4.00-18) but I was wondering if it actually fit or if anyone was using one of the metric sizes.

Richard
If anything, slap an innertube on that puppy
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had also posted this to the Airheads email list and did receive a good response.

Thank you to all who chimed in. I think I'm going to give it a try....

Quote:
I can pipe in on this one.
I DID run a Sahara 3...the early version of the Sahara 3, before they put the 3 on it...but is the same tire...I think..I am not 100% sure about ALL Sahara 3 tires being the same over the years.
I put it on the rear of my 1983 R100RT. I had it on for testing for grip on snow and dirt (yes, as a 2-wheeler), before I put a sidecar on that bike....and I put the tire back on quite a bit of time after it was sidecar equipped and had run other tires.
The rear end of the bike was stock, except for a 3.36:1 rear drive ratio....in particular I want to note that it was still the stock twin-shock rear suspension, stock fender, stock swing arm, stock disc brake and stock wheel. The snowflake on a disc brake rear twin shock bike is 2.75" wide....a 1/4th inch wider than the drum brake models then.

The Sahara was VERY wide.....I mean VERY. I had to skim the side of the tire at the tread lugs very slightly...and I had to change the top hat spacer on the right side of the wheel (to the wider BMW-offered one). I also added a washer to the left side, so the brake stay would not interfere. Interference still happened, but was mild, and ONLY happened at 75 or 80MPH and faster.....one could smell the rubber. It was not a problem, actually.

The Sahara 3 may be 4.00 x 18, but it is WIDE at the tread sides. I have had similar problems with a FEW pure street tires....such as the Continental TK17, a tire I hated, by the way, for how it handled.

I see no reason to NOT put a Sahara 3 on your bike, if doing a bit of mild trailie work....I note that you did not specify why to use that particular tire.
Since you did not mention what year or model of TwinShock airhead, I filled-in a bit, above.
The fitment into earlier bikes, particularly before 1981, may be a tad more problematical....particularly on those before 1979 withOUT snowflakes....as the spacing between the swing arms is tighter....particularly wheel to driveshaft side.

Now, as for performance: The Sahara 3 was a decent compromise, that enabled the RT to do both road and off-road work. I rode the bike, sidecar-equipped, with that tire on it, until the tire was nearly fully worn out. It's grip, for when as a 2-wheeler, and 3 wheeler, was pretty decent on moderately soft dirt, snow, and as expected, slippery as hell on ice. It was a temperature sensitive tire, but I think a lot of that was due to it having been an OLD tire that had been in storage, and the rubber was hardened. I got more miles out of that tire than expected...I think nearly 4000....but I did ride the rig rather briskly, YMMV!

If you use it, be sure it fits the bike properly, with some clearance. The tire EXPANDS, in WIDTH, as speed INcreases.

Snowbum
Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Richard,
I run the sahara 3 on the rear of my G/S and my f650, and it is a pretty good all round tire.
It is ok on pavement and ok on gravel, but not great in mud. I get around 9000kms out of them.
I do not like the sahara on the front, as they wear out quickly and cup almost immediatly.
I run the metzeler Karoo 2 on the front with about 36lbs of air.
I get about 9000kms out of it also before it cups too bad.
It is a fairly knobby tire, but it is ok on pavement and gravel.
I like the metzelers better than the continental tkc 80's as they last much longer if you do any pavement riding.
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote