Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,049
two days of twenty degree riding in New England

I had to get some plow parts.

So whats a better vehicle to use to do this?

My Ducati of course!!

It didn't matter the temps were never gonna get above freezing, I wanted to ride. And the plow store was in Holden, only 4 miles away from my office. So off I went.

Along the way I took a little detour. The Warrior ( a member of the NER message board ) set the MA tag to a little deli I drive by alot when Im working. However this deli is in Grafton, about 15 miles in the opposite direction of the parts store.

After I snapped the photo for the tag I decided I wanted to keep riding. I remembered the NER and ADV Conn tags were pretty close to each other. I figued they were less than 80 miles from where I was. No problem...use some back roads I know to cut thru Millbury, Sutton, Oxford and Dudley and I would be in CT in no time.

Along the way I stopped for a few photo's

Once in CT I took route 197 from the MA line to I84. What a great road this is, fresh pavement and really nice sweeping corners. However it was pretty cold and shady so I took it easy. No peg scraping this time of year, just riding and enjoying my day.

I stopped at the junction of 197 and 198 to take this photo.

The new CT tag will be placed here, for both the NER and ADV boards. So go get a 2fer

When I reached 84 I took that for a few miles. I got off in Tolland and went up to the town common for this photo.

It was the ADV tag.
Right down the street I found a Dunkin Donuts so I pulled over and went inside to warm up, and have a little snack. I also posted up my tags for the ADV board. Those guys do alot of tagging, so sometimes it changes more than once in a day. I got bruced a few weeks ago on that board so I wanted to make sure I got this one.

After my post went up I got back on 84 and traveled north for a few exits. My heated gear struggled a bit on the highway to keep me warm. Some cold spots were obvious when the speeds were in the 75+ range.
Just off the highway I found the NER Conn tag.

I parked here for a few minutes, letting my gloves and jacket pick up some heat and warm me up. I decided to skip the highway for the ride home and explore some back roads.

Once back in MA I found a few more things to stop and take photos of.

Just as I was entering Holden from rt 31 in Paxton I remembered why I started this ride. Plow parts! It was later afternoon, maybe 3:30 and luckily for me they were still open. However they didnt have the part I needed.

I arrived back at my office, 5 hrs later and with 145 more miles on the odometer.

So tomorrow I have to go to another store for the parts I need...what should I take?

so the next day..
and I was home by 10:30
The truck was ready for winter.

But I wasn't, I still wanted to ride!!!
This time I took the KLR out. It would be the first really cold ride on this machine. I did have a gerbin plug so I would still have heated gear. I didnt think the KLR would be any colder than the duck. Boy was I wrong.
The KLR or Kowalski as Lizzy calls it..has limited wind protection.

I have a pair of Hippo hands that came with it, but I didnt think I would need them today. Heated grips worked great, I was amazed at how warm these are. I didnt bring my regular gloves, only my gerbins but I could still feel the warmth of those grips.

I headed north from home and stopped in the center of Princeton.

Then took a little ride down by the ski area. I was surprised to find the place open and people skiing.

;
;

Just down the road from the mountain is this place

These people have been doing this for as long as I can remember. I will try and get out here late in the winter so you can see how big this becomes.

From here I took a few back roads up into Sterling than Leominster, riding by Vachon's Wilidlife sanctuary I thought I had the video camera running while on these roads, turns out I didnt.

Then at the bottom of the hill I stopped here for some photos.

I thought I was switching the camera off video and wanted to do a timer shot...this is what I found when I got home.

;

I had to stop a few times between home and here to let myself warm up. But while I was leaving the little school house I noticed no heat on my right foot. It didnt take long for that foot to go numb. I toughed it out and kept moving.

I rode up thru Leominster and into Lunenburg and planned on going thru Groton and littleton working my way to Moto Market. However at some point I must have blew a fuse because I lost all heat and even lost my heated grips.

So instead I pointed the fender south on Rt 70 and started to work my way home. I took some nice back roads thru Lancaster and came upon this place

ah Lara...

And just down the road from them I found another one of these.

Then stopped here for a quick photo,

By this time I was freezing, and my sides were really killing me. I sent Mrs OSJ a txt and told her I was coming home, and turn up the HEAT!

As I approached my driveway I noticed I had only done 92 miles..I had to do at least 100 to consider it a real ride...so I blew past my house and went for a quick 4 mile ride,

;

then turned around and came home. Tripping the meter over at 100 just as I rolled to a stop.

My feet were like ice cubes and my face was pretty cold, but my torso was the worse, I had huge red marks all over and it really hurt to the touch. It almost felt like I was burnt. Mrs OSJ gave me a big hug and wrapped me up in a blanket and warmed me up! I was happy!
The Kowalski did a good job, just gotta find out why she blew the fuse and make sure I carry a few spares with me on the next ride.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Cupid
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 38
Comical

Thanks. I enjoyed this. Probably because i can identify with the cold. Spent a little time in Rhode Island a looong time ago.
Cupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Sounds like you had a good ride, thanks for the report and pics
Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Perry B
Perry B

Oddometer: 135
THANKS o the read.
You do like RED... rides..:)
Perry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Makes me cold just thinking about it.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
MelonMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
BRRRRRR...
Just look what the cold can do.

Thanks for the chilly ride and warm pics.
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonMan View Post
BRRRRRR...
Just look what the cold can do.

Thanks for the chilly ride and warm pics.
can you please post up a full sized photo of that!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry B View Post
THANKS o the read.
You do like RED... rides..:)
yup...even married a red head!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629040
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Nice RR Jim.
I was riding as late as Wednesday, but the 10-20 overnight temps and sub-freezing day temps had me parking the ST.
+1 on the cold spots in the heated gear at speed.. Brr...

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Chaconne
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wow excellent. There are still some real New Englanders left to show how it is done.
Chaconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Okay.... not only is that COLD.... it's Wicked Cold....

I just got my first piece of heated gear.... a Vest... and it's awesome I will be adding to it...

K
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
cool thread
love the pictures and videos (even the one you DIDN'T intend on making... )
glad you went riding
never let a little cold stop you from enjoying life (sounds great coming from someone in florida.... )

thanks for taking us along
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Little warmer today....rainy, in the mid 40's

I still LOVE to ride