User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
kjclark7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Warm n Safe Remote Heat Troller

just wondering if anyone has any experience with this new product from warm n safe. instead of running wires from a power source to the knobs then to your heated gear, this thing does it wirelessly.
in theory it seems like a good thing but just wondering if anyone actually has first hand experience with it yet. thanks in advance for your feedback.

heres a link:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-remote-dual-heat-troller
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,130
It's awesome. This is my second season with the dual remote. It's burned one battery in that time and works flawlessly. If you're buying a controller of any type theres no reason to choose another brand. It works identically to my wired triller but without the wires.

My only gripe is the box with wires in the Pocket. Pretty bulky/clunky but it's a small price to pay. Awesome product.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
What happens if the battery is dead and you still need heat? Is the default 50% or 100%?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Remote heat-troller

+1 on the W&S wireless dual controller. I have one now and like the independent control of jacket and gloves (both of which work great).

My only gripe was aired in a previous thread to which the W&S guys responded. I would like the temperature settings to be "set and forget" with an independent on/off switch. As it is, every time you hook up, you must cycle the knobs down to "off" and then back on again to get control of the heat. It takes me a bit of fiddling to get the right setting for gloves and jacket and I need to do that every time I get on/off the bike. Is it a major problem: absolutely not - but they were asking for input.

I have no regrets on this purchase.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I just bought one (along with the gen4 jacket liner) from an inmate here and have only had a chance to use it a few times but it does work well. I velcroed it to the master cylinder res (with the teather around the mirror - just in case) so it is on the bike all the time and is handy to adjust.
Just make sure to turn it off when you disconnect the liner or it will automaticly go to the default 1/3 power setting when you plug it back in.
I have never used heated gear before (it is great) but only having the one power wire to connect has got to be better than having to run wires to the controller as well.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
What happens if the battery is dead and you still need heat? Is the default 50% or 100%?
default is 1/3 power. Last year I decided to never turn the controller off just to see how long the battery lasts. It made it until a month or so ago. Just keep a spare with you, and you'll be good. It only takes a couple minutes to change. Mike says the only draw is the led.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,553
Love my remote troller. I have it velcro-ed to the top of my brake master cylinder year round. I'm on the second battery, you will have some warning before it is totally dead (I started having to turn it off and then back on to make heat adjustments for the week before I changed the battery).

I'm planning to pick up another for my wife.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
kjclark7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for your input guys. i haven't pulled the trigger yet on heated gear but will do soon. riding the other night home from work in 11 degree weather was a little rough. everything but my hands were ok...my hands hurt they were so cold.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclark7 View Post
thanks for your input guys. i haven't pulled the trigger yet on heated gear but will do soon. riding the other night home from work in 11 degree weather was a little rough. everything but my hands were ok...my hands hurt they were so cold.
At this point, I'm not sure it gets better than warm n safe. From product to cust. service, to price (make sure you get the adv discount) it doesn't get any better. I mean they even exchange old versions for the latest and greatest. It just doesn't/can't get any better. They want you satisfied. I have my list of things I'd like different, but so far they're the best on the market.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
kjclark7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
At this point, I'm not sure it gets better than warm n safe. From product to cust. service, to price (make sure you get the adv discount) it doesn't get any better. I mean they even exchange old versions for the latest and greatest. It just doesn't/can't get any better. They want you satisfied. I have my list of things I'd like different, but so far they're the best on the market.

where do i have to go to get the adv discount?
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Flashmo
Whatever...

Quote:
At 25 degrees, I still only have a t-shirt under my heated jacked liner (the 60 watt version)...might have to break out some long-johns or a fleece if it gets much colder.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,101
Quote:
where do i have to go to get the adv discount?
Register on the W&S website and you'll see that you have an option to select what your affiliation is. Select that and you'll see all the pricing at the discounted rate.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
kjclark7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

watching the video they have for this, it explains that it is important to hook up the power directly to the battery, not a fuse panel and the frame. i, like probably most people on here, have a aux fuse panel and run everything to that instead of the battery. i wonder why they say otherwise? thought?
for those of you who have it, how is yours installed?
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Flashmo
Whatever...

Quote:
watching the video they have for this, it explains that it is important to hook up the power directly to the battery, not a fuse panel and the frame. i, like probably most people on here, have a aux fuse panel and run everything to that instead of the battery. i wonder why they say otherwise? thought?
for those of you who have it, how is yours installed?
To the battery lugs.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
Mike from W&S seems to monitor this thread if you have any questions.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521496
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote