Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #46
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,484
Thank you for the wonderful report! I have only ridden past the boots, so I enjoyed your up-close and personal account of them.
Lovely photos!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #47
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Thanks for the pics and narrative, that's my favorite part of Texas.

Trees, grass, clear water, twisties... just need some more parks along the way, or friends w/600 acres!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #48
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Trees, grass, clear water, twisties... just need some more parks along the way, or friends w/600 acres!
Hahaha. Yes, friends with acreage is always a nice bonus.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #49
gypsyrr OP
in flux

You'll enjoy Texas, but you probably have better/more options for riding closer to home. Nevertheless, come on down! You'll find the people friendly and the hill country beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Thank you for a thoughtful report that included beautiful photography. My brothers and I hope to make a South Texas vacation ride in the next year or two. Your pictures certainly increase the desire.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #50
fotopat
Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer: 110
Kristi,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful posts - as others have noted, your writing and photography are most inspiring and speak to the wanderlust so pervasive in this domain.

The Texas Hill Country is on the top of my short list of upcoming rides. I also plan to visit Big Bend but am thinking that to do both areas justice, I need to do them separately. The Hill Country looks like an area I could enjoy on the cruiser with my wife while the Big Bend area is beckoning me solo on my GS or perhaps my thumper.

Any recommendations on particular roads, scenery / architecture / landscapes, etc. (I am also a practitioner of the photographic arts) and eateries or guides to the same, would be much appreciated.

a fellow wanderer,

Pat

photos on shutterfly

photos on flickr

photos on panoramio

photos on SmugMug

fotopat on facebook
fotopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #51
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Thank you fotopat. I am working on an online map of hill country roads. I'm almost done. I'll post a link within the next couple of days with some ideas of things to see/photograph as well. Stay tuned!
Btw, I like those old cars and trucks in your Americana gallery which I found in your link in your signature. Very cool! All of your photos were stellar.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #52
outlier8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Kristi-

Thanks for taking the time to share the beautiful photographs and texas hill country!

Linda
outlier8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #53
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr View Post
Thank you fotopat. I am working on an online map of hill country roads. I'm almost done. I'll post a link within the next couple of days with some ideas of things to see/photograph as well. Stay tuned!
Funny that you said this, Years ago when I first started going to SA and the Hill Country, I would see signs for "Hill Country Route" I figured it was some kind of loop or route thru all the scenic stuff. Well I never found a route, the Texas tourism board didn't know, so I just meandered around to all the towns and roads that I could find on short visits and kept asking for the "route". I never found the map, but did find lots of great roads. Also lots of great bicycle routes with share the road signs!

I hope when you finish I can see what I missed.
Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #54
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
I enjoyed reading this as I've enjoyed your previous ride reports. Both this one and iDave's recent posts resonate with me, for various reasons I wasn't able to get away on my bike in 2010, coupled with being in a somewhat challenging role for much of the year at work has really made me appreciate what I've been able to read here. Then to top it off, I had to read about The Darth Peach riding much of a trip I was supposed to take this year! I admire each of you who choose to get out and ride, I hope to be in that camp more often in 2011 (I'd do it now, but with the salt on the roads and the cool weather, I wouldn't get far!).
I love the images and thoughts you've shared here!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #55
fotopat
Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr View Post
Btw, I like those old cars and trucks in your Americana gallery which I found in your link in your signature. Very cool! All of your photos were stellar.
Thank you for the compliment - it means much coming from someone whose work I admire! I'll be looking forward to your map. I have been gathering maps and guidebooks but there is nothing like advice from those familiar with the area. Thanks again.

Pat

photos on shutterfly

photos on flickr

photos on panoramio

photos on SmugMug

fotopat on facebook
fotopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #56
Gunfun44
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This was a great write up, Gypsrr. I definitely need to work on my photography skills if I'm going to get anywhere near your quality.

It's also a shame that the hill country is a 3+ hour ride away for me! I'll get up there one day!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more post from you!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #57
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfun44 View Post
It's also a shame that the hill country is a 3+ hour ride away for me! I'll get up there one day!
That's how far it is for me. You just have to plan to spend the night somewhere. An easy weekend destination, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy View Post
I enjoyed reading this as I've enjoyed your previous ride reports. Both this one and iDave's recent posts resonate with me, for various reasons I wasn't able to get away on my bike in 2010, coupled with being in a somewhat challenging role for much of the year at work has really made me appreciate what I've been able to read here. Then to top it off, I had to read about The Darth Peach riding much of a trip I was supposed to take this year! I admire each of you who choose to get out and ride, I hope to be in that camp more often in 2011 (I'd do it now, but with the salt on the roads and the cool weather, I wouldn't get far!).
I love the images and thoughts you've shared here!
Yeah, others have compared iDave's reports and mine. I'm flattered, but he probably is more so. Just kidding. He does bring a lot of reflection and introspection to a ride and I appreciate that about his reports. Plus his photos are always wonderful. Of course, he doesn't live in an ugly place either! Virginia is a great place to be based, I would think - especially for those who love photography and riding.

Too bad the weather sneaked up on you before you could take your ride like Darth Peach's. I understand about bad weather. Fortunately, this year that is not the case where I live. In fact, it's been so warm I am having to run the a.c. during the day and some nights so far this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Funny that you said this, Years ago when I first started going to SA and the Hill Country, I would see signs for "Hill Country Route" I figured it was some kind of loop or route thru all the scenic stuff. Well I never found a route, the Texas tourism board didn't know, so I just meandered around to all the towns and roads that I could find on short visits and kept asking for the "route". I never found the map, but did find lots of great roads. Also lots of great bicycle routes with share the road signs!

I hope when you finish I can see what I missed.
Thanks

I don't know what "Hill Country Route" refers to. I don't know of a definitive route; just some good roads and places to visit. I keep adding to the map I'm making, but the link at the end of this post will stay the same. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotopat View Post

The Texas Hill Country is on the top of my short list of upcoming rides. I also plan to visit Big Bend but am thinking that to do both areas justice, I need to do them separately. The Hill Country looks like an area I could enjoy on the cruiser with my wife while the Big Bend area is beckoning me solo on my GS or perhaps my thumper.

Any recommendations on particular roads, scenery / architecture / landscapes, etc. (I am also a practitioner of the photographic arts) and eateries or guides to the same, would be much appreciated.

a fellow wanderer,

Pat

You are probably right about doing the hill country and Big Bend separately, unless you have some extended time and a way to bring all of your bikes. There are both great paved roads and dirt roads in both places. I usually ride the paved roads in the hill country and have done the both dirt and paved in Big Bend. Scarysharkface has some great reports on Big Bend that you should check out before you go. Probably there are others, but I am more familiar with his reports because of the great photography he always includes.

I have started a map with a lot of the hill country roads listed along with some photos. The mapping program is slow and not always stable, so it takes some time. What I have on there will get you started though. Also, somewhere on this site there is a link to more great roads in the hill country and north of the hill country. I tried to find the link, but could not. Maybe someone else knows where to find it.

Regarding the map: Because it is not a stable program, I have to start and stop paths a lot, so disregard the start and stop markers. They mean nothing navigationally. If there is a photo included, then I thought it was a good place to take photos, but you can't go wrong with any of the river accesses for great river shots (and swimming). As far as food goes, I don't have a fine palate. I eat to survive, so I'm not real picky. I'm probably not the one to recommend eateries. However, for just the nostalgia of it, I do recommend BJ's in Camp Wood. I always ask them to make me a peanut butter shake, and they do. Sometimes I have to tell them how (just peanut butter, ice cream, and honey), but they don't mind. And the Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia is great for pie. The last time I came through Utopia, I stopped at the Cafe. I noticed a lot of people there who did not look like locals (or Texans for that matter). I found out that it was part of the movie crew for the movie "Seven Days In Utopia" which should be coming out next year, starring Robert Duvall. I missed meeting him by just a few moments. That would have been pretty cool because he is one of my favorite actors. There are a lot of legends and stories surrounding the hill country and it's towns. Most any local will be glad to share some with you.

I hope this helps. I'll be adding to it over time, but this should get you started. It's just paved roads so far.

Texas Hill Country Roads

Thanks again for coming along and reading about a weekend ride I had. I enjoy being able to share some of my thoughts and experiences from the road, so it's nice to know you were interested enough to read. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #58
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #59
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,507
Nice, esp the first 3 pages......

How did I miss this?

gotta slow the hell down in December
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #60
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 229
MERRY CHRISTMAS Kristi and my wish for a very prosperous New Year to you..... Thank you for a very enjoyable R.R.