ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
NOVA:Riding Sat/Sun Dirt

Going to ride the pits in Laurel, MD. Pm me if you are interested.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Mmmmm. Diiiiirt.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
Mmmmm. Diiiiirt.
check yo pms hoe
Old 01-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Do you have to be tagged to ride there? Seems like you mentioned frequently breaking one off there.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,981
What kind of ride is it? n00b friendly/difficult singletrack? gravel or mud?

Just curious.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
What kind of ride is it? n00b friendly/difficult singletrack? gravel or mud?

Just curious.

Yes, noob friendly. You dont need a dual sported bike. Park and ride. Not difficult at all, but it depends on the weather. Check out one of many of my posts for pics.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like it might be a little wet with a high of around 51.

Have seen your excellent pics of the area Scorch, but I don't have a sense of how much riding there is. Are there woods trails, or is it mainly loops thru an abandoned strip mine? ? Is it an ATV and bike mix. How crowded?

Sorry for the requested detail, just trying to figure if its worth the 135 mile drive up?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
Looks like it might be a little wet with a high of around 51.

Have seen your excellent pics of the area Scorch, but I don't have a sense of how much riding there is. Are there woods trails, or is it mainly loops thru an abandoned strip mine? ? Is it an ATV and bike mix. How crowded?

Sorry for the requested detail, just trying to figure if its worth the 135 mile drive up?

The pits are smaller than the area I have been riding lately. I have done 100 miles in a day in the pits, but that included looping trails back and forth. I would say that the pits have about 30-40 miles of trails through there.

Bowie is better. It has trails everywhere, not as many open spaces. Not many riders in there. Its hidden from most people. There is a short hare scramble loop, but im still trying to find stuff. Need to explore it some more. This is my fav place to ride.

I woudl think you could do 60 miles without seeing the same thing twice. Thats alot for this type of riding.

Both bowie and laurel have different terrain types. Sandy soil, good nice dirt, some gravel stuff. Not many rocks. I love it.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
scorch OP
Poser

Sometimes I ride 2 hrs north to pa to ride. And I would much ride around here, the terrain is soooo much better.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

I might do that. I only have Sat. though. Could get up there about 10, ride for the day then back or head back Sun. am. Let me see how the week shakes out.

Why not Bowie since it sounds a little better (though I don't know where that is?)?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
I might do that. I only have Sat. though. Could get up there about 10, ride for the day then back or head back Sun. am. Let me see how the week shakes out.

Why not Bowie since it sounds a little better (though I don't know where that is?)?
Bowie it is. Im not super familar with the trails. Ive ridden there 3 time, but I think its Awesome.

The pits is interesting, its inside the dc metro area. We go under tunnels, over tunnels, there are things breaking, cars burning. Its definatly a neat place.

Ill pm you directions.

Hopefully xsquiggy will let cityclip use hsi wr250f to ride, id love to get that squid into dirt riding.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
I'll be in Laguna Beach most of the week or I'd love to come and join you FF's on the GS. I'm looking at that XR 600 tomorrow...but funds are a little tighter right now than I thought they were gonna be... so I may have to pass this one up.

Bowie is right between Washington DC and Annapolis on Rte 50. Come up the DC beltway/rte 695 (outer loop- or counter clockwise) and take the Rte 50/Annapolis exit- Bowie is about 8 miles east. If you're coming up during any kind of rush hour- avoid the beltway and follow 395 right into DC- then take a right onto New York Avenue (trust me!) and follow that east until it turns into Rte 50. Otherwise, the Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac will cost you another hour or hour and a half. (fucker! I hate that goddamned bridge- bet ole' Woodrow was a fuckin' commie prick!)

I'm really psyched to hear about this riding in Bowie- I'm only 12 miles from there! You guys better post some pics!~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I'll be in Laguna Beach most of the week or I'd love to come and join you FF's on the GS. I'm looking at that XR 600 tomorrow...but funds are a little tighter right now than I thought they were gonna be... so I may have to pass this one up.

Bowie is right between Washington DC and Annapolis on Rte 50. Come up the DC beltway/rte 695 (outer loop- or counter clockwise) and take the Rte 50/Annapolis exit- Bowie is about 8 miles east. If you're coming up during any kind of rush hour- avoid the beltway and follow 395 right into DC- then take a right onto New York Avenue (trust me!) and follow that east until it turns into Rte 50. Otherwise, the Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac will cost you another hour or hour and a half. (fucker! I hate that goddamned bridge- bet ole' Woodrow was a fuckin' commie prick!)

I'm really psyched to hear about this riding in Bowie- I'm only 12 miles from there! You guys better post some pics!~
You should sell one of those aux headlights on your bike to pay for the xr.

You should try taking the gs on the trails in bowie, man, that would be a sight to see. As a matter of fact, why not show up this weekend and give it a try.

The pits are better for the gs. You can get Hummer inside of them. The trails are that wide.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
I'll definitely do Laurel on it- and I'll poke around Bowie too... I'm off to LA tomorrow- won't be back until Sunday night. Get some good pics ya bastige!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #15
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Damn. Damn. Damn. I'll swap my R1200GS for a dirt bike this Saturday. I swap with anyone. Even for crap!! Can you help a noob who has no dirtbike?