ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
NOVA:Riding Sat/Sun Dirt

Going to ride the pits in Laurel, MD. Pm me if you are interested.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom
 
CityClip's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 843
Mmmmm. Diiiiirt.
__________________
Yellow 2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
Totally :ymca looking yet totally
CityClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
Mmmmm. Diiiiirt.
check yo pms hoe
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out-of-pocket
Oddometer: 2,734
Do you have to be tagged to ride there? Seems like you mentioned frequently breaking one off there.
__________________
Its alright if you love me, its alright if you don't.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Jack90210
mindful
 
Jack90210's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 14,981
What kind of ride is it? n00b friendly/difficult singletrack? gravel or mud?

Just curious.



__________________

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
What kind of ride is it? n00b friendly/difficult singletrack? gravel or mud?

Just curious.



Yes, noob friendly. You dont need a dual sported bike. Park and ride. Not difficult at all, but it depends on the weather. Check out one of many of my posts for pics.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out-of-pocket
Oddometer: 2,734
Looks like it might be a little wet with a high of around 51.

Have seen your excellent pics of the area Scorch, but I don't have a sense of how much riding there is. Are there woods trails, or is it mainly loops thru an abandoned strip mine? ? Is it an ATV and bike mix. How crowded?

Sorry for the requested detail, just trying to figure if its worth the 135 mile drive up?
__________________
Its alright if you love me, its alright if you don't.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
Looks like it might be a little wet with a high of around 51.

Have seen your excellent pics of the area Scorch, but I don't have a sense of how much riding there is. Are there woods trails, or is it mainly loops thru an abandoned strip mine? ? Is it an ATV and bike mix. How crowded?

Sorry for the requested detail, just trying to figure if its worth the 135 mile drive up?


The pits are smaller than the area I have been riding lately. I have done 100 miles in a day in the pits, but that included looping trails back and forth. I would say that the pits have about 30-40 miles of trails through there.

Bowie is better. It has trails everywhere, not as many open spaces. Not many riders in there. Its hidden from most people. There is a short hare scramble loop, but im still trying to find stuff. Need to explore it some more. This is my fav place to ride.

I woudl think you could do 60 miles without seeing the same thing twice. Thats alot for this type of riding.

Both bowie and laurel have different terrain types. Sandy soil, good nice dirt, some gravel stuff. Not many rocks. I love it.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Sometimes I ride 2 hrs north to pa to ride. And I would much ride around here, the terrain is soooo much better.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out-of-pocket
Oddometer: 2,734
I might do that. I only have Sat. though. Could get up there about 10, ride for the day then back or head back Sun. am. Let me see how the week shakes out.

Why not Bowie since it sounds a little better (though I don't know where that is?)?
__________________
Its alright if you love me, its alright if you don't.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
I might do that. I only have Sat. though. Could get up there about 10, ride for the day then back or head back Sun. am. Let me see how the week shakes out.

Why not Bowie since it sounds a little better (though I don't know where that is?)?
Bowie it is. Im not super familar with the trails. Ive ridden there 3 time, but I think its Awesome.

The pits is interesting, its inside the dc metro area. We go under tunnels, over tunnels, there are things breaking, cars burning. Its definatly a neat place.

Ill pm you directions.

Hopefully xsquiggy will let cityclip use hsi wr250f to ride, id love to get that squid into dirt riding.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
Oddometer: 12,550
I'll be in Laguna Beach most of the week or I'd love to come and join you FF's on the GS. I'm looking at that XR 600 tomorrow...but funds are a little tighter right now than I thought they were gonna be... so I may have to pass this one up.

Bowie is right between Washington DC and Annapolis on Rte 50. Come up the DC beltway/rte 695 (outer loop- or counter clockwise) and take the Rte 50/Annapolis exit- Bowie is about 8 miles east. If you're coming up during any kind of rush hour- avoid the beltway and follow 395 right into DC- then take a right onto New York Avenue (trust me!) and follow that east until it turns into Rte 50. Otherwise, the Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac will cost you another hour or hour and a half. (fucker! I hate that goddamned bridge- bet ole' Woodrow was a fuckin' commie prick!)

I'm really psyched to hear about this riding in Bowie- I'm only 12 miles from there! You guys better post some pics!~
__________________
"Everybody loves cunnilingus!" Chacifer

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
scorch OP
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I'll be in Laguna Beach most of the week or I'd love to come and join you FF's on the GS. I'm looking at that XR 600 tomorrow...but funds are a little tighter right now than I thought they were gonna be... so I may have to pass this one up.

Bowie is right between Washington DC and Annapolis on Rte 50. Come up the DC beltway/rte 695 (outer loop- or counter clockwise) and take the Rte 50/Annapolis exit- Bowie is about 8 miles east. If you're coming up during any kind of rush hour- avoid the beltway and follow 395 right into DC- then take a right onto New York Avenue (trust me!) and follow that east until it turns into Rte 50. Otherwise, the Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac will cost you another hour or hour and a half. (fucker! I hate that goddamned bridge- bet ole' Woodrow was a fuckin' commie prick!)

I'm really psyched to hear about this riding in Bowie- I'm only 12 miles from there! You guys better post some pics!~
You should sell one of those aux headlights on your bike to pay for the xr.

You should try taking the gs on the trails in bowie, man, that would be a sight to see. As a matter of fact, why not show up this weekend and give it a try.

The pits are better for the gs. You can get Hummer inside of them. The trails are that wide.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
Oddometer: 12,550
I'll definitely do Laurel on it- and I'll poke around Bowie too... I'm off to LA tomorrow- won't be back until Sunday night. Get some good pics ya bastige!
__________________
"Everybody loves cunnilingus!" Chacifer

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #15
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom
 
CityClip's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 843
Damn. Damn. Damn. I'll swap my R1200GS for a dirt bike this Saturday. I swap with anyone. Even for crap!! Can you help a noob who has no dirtbike?
__________________
Yellow 2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
Totally :ymca looking yet totally
CityClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014