User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
LSMick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
beating the ol'dead horse...Or old guy

I'm old and out of shape. Getting close to 60 with 50 years of riding. I have raced MX , Flat Track, Enduro, Hill climb and yes a very little trials a hundred years ago. I now ride Dual Sport and street, two different bikes. ( still fast, PUNK KIDS GET THE HECK OUT OF MY WAY) My last all dirt bike was almost 20 years ago, wow.

Question:

I found a late 80"s Beta for under a grand. I have wanted to get back into dirt backwoods riding. I have about 300 acre's with woods and a big ol'ditch.
Should I wait until I can afford a newer bike or go for the Beta? Should I keep looking ? Just asking, I know this gets asked a lot but I did do a search. Give me a break, I'm old but not too old. I don't plan on being an A rider but might someday compete in beginners class. there is a club about an hour away.

Thanks
LSMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,083
How much money do you have? If you only have a grand to spend, go for it. As you probably know any 25 year old bike is going to be tougher to get parts for and probably needs them.

You're getting old. Heck, you're almost dead. I say spend some money and enjoy it with your limited time. If you double your budget to $2k or $2.5k, you should be able to get a bike at about 10 years old or little less. It will be much easier to get parts and will be almost as good as anything new. You have a convenient place to ride, are competitive and won't be happy with an old turd. You can't take it with....

Oh, I'm 58 so I don't mind giving you crap about your age.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
Shit, I`m young at 55 then!
If it`s an `88 0r `89 you are doing good. I`ve riddin` an `86 twice last year!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
LSMick OP
n00b

Thanks, I figure I got about 5 to 10 years left, maybe. I've burnt both ends of the candle and have enjoyed the blank out of it.
You know these things do come in to play.

I was looking at older bikes for the seat part of it. Too new and no place to sit. The Beta has a seat. I have ridden a vintage ( not at that time) Honda TL 250 and don't want to go that OL'school. As far as the money goes, I have some other project's in the works taking my cash flow. I haven't looked at the bike yet. If it's not up to par or I can't get it at the right price there is another bike I was looking at. BUT it's $500 more and 250 miles away. A newer Hill Climber. But I'd have to wait until summer, at this age, I have to get ever day I can. Did I say I wanted a seat.

Just checking on the older Beta. The price might be right but not if it needs big bucks to repair.. I've seen a lot of 70's bikes go for good money and was not sure when the no seat bikes hit.

Thanks all, I really need to go riding.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Bananapete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMick View Post
[...] Did I say I wanted a seat.[...]
It is probably not in your price range, but just so you know you can add a seat and additional gas tank as original spare part to a beta.
I got my '02 beta for 1500€ and the seat was an additional 250€
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 916
And if you don't need the extra fuel you can go with the Jitsie Universal seat.

http://www.thehellteam.com/jitsie-un...ials-seat.html

Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,083
Are you sure you want a trials bike? You must be looking at a Beta Alp, which was kind of a cross over bike, like a Pampera or the latest generation of cross over bikes like the KTM Freeride or Beta XTrainer.

Trials bike conversions with seats are generally still not very comfortable, because the seat to foot peg relationship is still very cramped. Unless you're 5'4" you probably won't like it. And all of these bikes are way over your budget.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,785
I say look for an '86 or '87 Honda Reflex (TLR200). It's based on the Honda RTL200 competition trials bike but set up for the street. Plenty of parts still available, from Honda, and plenty of support here (as other inmates own/ride them). I had one and loved it. As Mike alluded to, a trials bike with a seat will have a cramped seated position while the Reflex does not. It comes geared down but you can go lower. Add some trials tires and you're off to the 'races'. If you're into mods, you can install an ATC200 cam to wake up the motor. I thought it was a hoot in stock form.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #9
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
The Beta's from the late 80'S which should then be a TR 32 - 34 model,
are nice to ride but spare parts are very difficult to trace even in Europe.

In your position the mentioned Honda Reflex or a Yamaha TY would be
the one you might look for.

The TY 175 or 250 twinshock and the TY 350 mono (some 250 monos which are the much better ones if you can find any) are the bikes I would think you get easy and parts will not be too expensive and you can still sit on them.

The other European brand's might be expensive when something get broken, exepctions are older Bultaco Sherpas and Ossa MAR's these
bike models were sold in numbers in the US too.

I would stay away from water cooled bikes from the early 90's these can
have corrosion problems due to their magnesium engine cases and spares
for them - being mostly exotic European brands - are costly and difficult to trace.
PSchrauber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMick View Post
I'm old and out of shape. Getting close to 60 with 50 years of riding. I have raced MX , Flat Track, Enduro, Hill climb and yes a very little trials a hundred years ago. I now ride Dual Sport and street, two different bikes. ( still fast, PUNK KIDS GET THE HECK OUT OF MY WAY) My last all dirt bike was almost 20 years ago, wow.

Question:

I found a late 80"s Beta for under a grand. I have wanted to get back into dirt backwoods riding. I have about 300 acre's with woods and a big ol'ditch.
Should I wait until I can afford a newer bike or go for the Beta? Should I keep looking ? Just asking, I know this gets asked a lot but I did do a search. Give me a break, I'm old but not too old. I don't plan on being an A rider but might someday compete in beginners class. there is a club about an hour away.

Thanks
Just because it hasn't been said yet. YOU are the biggest factor in trials, especially when making the decision on what to buy. Ok you read that and went "duh, tell me something I didn't know!"

Well, here is what is hard to convey. Trials is a completely different animal. I try to do anologies, to me Billiards is to "dirtbikes" as Trials would be to "snooker"... Ok and the tools used are kind of special as well. IF YOU ARE GOING TO do more than JUST kick the bike over and ride "something" someday.... I play snooker about 1 time every 13 years, so my decent '8 ball cue,' which I bought in 98, is just fine, Im not competing Im am comfortable enough with howto shoot. But great snooker players have a spinely tiny tip cue for snooker. Mines a medium tip for 8-ball. beyond how you line up a shot (twist the throttle and run the brakes) there are incredible differences from snooker to "pool" or 8 ball.

Being me, I buy a trials bike, newest I can afford, practice and compete. Now MX or SPort bike of some kind? well I am NOT looking to compete, so ANYTHING I can buy will technically be just fine, you know. watercooled 2 stroke dual purpose like an old Kawisaki bike to ride a trail down some pasture wont need much more than "running" and in decent repair,and those pesky spare parts are a factor aw well. Technically I could just fire up an old Honda Trail 90 do what I might like to do, just not as fast as everyone else is doing it. Nor as comfortable.

SO, is easy enough if you give it some thought on what I mean. If you want to compete, get the latest.

My dad started in 1971 or 2, riding dirtbikes converted to MX like was done in the day. he rode trials on that Suzuki 250 as well, for a few months, then realized (actually was informed) that a purpose built trials bike, even back then, was one hell of an advantage to RIDE and COMPETE in TRIALS on, but I trials bike nowdays probably has ZERO worth as a "dirt bike."

You being 50 ish, my dad is 79 still competes, so you have a lto more longevity-competition wise, in trials so it might be worth the investment.

My Brother (hope he isn't reading, but still) is a damn good moto-crosser, he's 55, BUT the trials bike he owns (04 gasgas Pro300 ), can humble him in 3 minutes, TRIALS will humble you about how good a rider you think you are if you are of what I call "average" learning and natural ability, less humbling if you are gifted athleticism.

I say 1 hour away, if the club is active, get a good bike or any bike, what is the worst that can happen, you wasted 1/3rd of what you invested in the cheap bike you bought?

Just be warned if you buy that old bike, that people mentions could be hard to get parts for, it is a dead end bike, do NOT piss money into searching for parts on a rare bike, unless you have a museum that is commissioning a restoration... LOL.

Dump it and move up and get more modern, again GASGAS is about all I can talk about full confidence 04 and newer is a decent competition bike, other brands I am sure more people will chime in.

Good luck, I hope we charm you into the DARK SIDE, lol...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #11
LSMick OP
n00b

Thanks. I have been searching the whole wide world web and am glad I posted. There are some parts available but not the ones I might need to keep it alive.

The seat part isn't for sit-down trail riding, I have a dual-sport for that, but to sit when not riding. I didn't know about the add-on seats. In a few months , I'll have a lot of time to play. I do plan on attending a few events as a spectator.

I might look at the Reflex. I would like to have a bike I can ride in my back yard. I'll keep looking, you never know what might pop up. What Gas Gas should I stay away from?
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #12
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
Any for sale.

Until the factory decides it is in business.

lineaway screwed with this post Today at 04:36 AM
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #13
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
As encouraged, a reflex or ty would be your best bet on a budget.
If you can afford a newer rig then step up to 3 or 4grand range and get a modern light bike. At around 150lbs wet, the difference is amazing.
I started at 6+grand for a year old bike and as you can imagine the bike is like a sports car. I want no more than what I have.
At whatever price point you pick there are capable machines but the key is to have a dependable machine that's ready when you are. Good luck on your search.
slicktop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #14
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Any for sale.
10K is offline   Reply With Quote