Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,508
That's funny. When I lived there, I took one look at that shit and traded my dirt bike for advanced dive lessons.
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Gasser OP
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
So how's Saddle Road (the road that bisects the island between the volcanoes and connects Hilo & Kona)? Looks great on a map, but thought you and your CBR may have made that run a few times and could share the experience.
BTW, sweet lava pics. Front page stuff if you ask me, tuff guy!
Yo Guano11

Saddle Rd is the reason I started stortbike riding...bought a used 93 RR and put some Race Tech suspenders on it and rode it like a MX'er back in the good old days when tourist cars weren't allowed up there because it was originally a one lane road that was widened with a patch work shoulder laced with pot holes and lot's of blind rises with G out dip's, also there were zero cop's patrolling it's 54 mile length because back then only the Military and Mauna Kea observatory folks were using it.

After putting 155,000 mi and 32 sets of tires on the bullet proof 93 CBR (100,000+ mi) up on Saddle Rd I bought a lighter faster new 06 1000RR logging in 42K on it...30K of it was on Saddle Rd knee drag blitzing 3 and 4 days a week (I'm retired not married..ya freedom) then the lighter, faster, quicker 08 CBR 1000RR caught my attention...up to 42K on it now...but the good old days of Saddle Rd are history as it is being reworked to FED Hwy standards, having all my 100+ mi butt cinching pot hole curves, buck 20 jumps and nasty buck 60 pothole straights now gone to wide smooth buck 80 straights and most all sweeper curves are buck 40 to 60 with two buck 80's to hit the revlimiter on.

Oh ya, now there's two undercover radar/laser patrols up there popping for big $bucks...lost my license twice for 90 days up there...Though I still spank that CBR every chance I get because I now have a radar/laser unit with a warning red LED in my helmet that has saved my butt more times than I can count.

I have my own Isle of Man 100mi loop on SRd, one section goes up to the 9,000 elev, best time is 58 min on the 08 RR...that bike handles flawlessly...it's the only bike I've ever ridden that will allow me to fully brake in an over cooked turn without standing it's self up...my kind of motorcycle dude.

Also I have countless off road miles on the nasty lava rock powerline rd along side of Saddle Rd from years of training, riding and personally laying out the Mauna Kea 200 time keeping Enduro that is has now turned into a 200mi off road race...go to ADV racing forum for more info about the coming 2011 MK200.

There are near zero sportbike Saddle Rd riders anymore...everyone's into turning their bikes into lowered extended shinny street drag racing posers bikes with stupid paint jobs and all kinds of sharp objects poking out cruising around in shorts, slaps, $hades and no helmet...go figure?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,253
HA! 155,000 miles of Saddle Road is more than the "few times" I anticipated! Too bad about its new availability to the rental car masses; hope it hasn't become everyone's favorite Sunday drive yet, and that you can still hammer your personal Isle of Man.

Still sounds like an awesome road -- but even more awesomer back in the day.

Guano11 screwed with this post 12-18-2010 at 08:38 AM
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,680
Great Pics...

I worked for Norwegian Cruise Lines for 6 months and one of our stops was the Big Island. I was always amazed at the number of passengers who returned from the lava field excursions absolutely tore up from falling down.

I never went on one of those excursions. Now I know why those folks got cut up when they fell...that stuff is rough and sharp !
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post
...There are near zero sportbike Saddle Rd riders anymore...everyone's into turning their bikes into lowered extended shinny street drag racing posers bikes with stupid paint jobs and all kinds of sharp objects poking out cruising around in shorts, slaps, $hades and no helmet...go figure?
The Good Old Days, gone again. If you can't go fast, chrome it.

They still using VASCAR?...my introduction to it was in the early 70's, on Oahu.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote