Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,512
Brembo day (the continuing saga of the T-3)

The only picture on my garage wall.

On a fluke I got today off so I brewed myself a big pot of Kona "blend" coffee and spent the afternoon in the garage cleaning and disassembling my pile of F108 calipers. In about 1984 they started using aluminum pistons and a single larger bleed nipple. All mine are the old type with the "twist off" bleed nipples and rust-prone pistons. I've collected about a dozen over the years.

After a bunch of heat, wrenching, penetrant and profanity most of them came apart. Piles of seals, pistons, good body halves and bolts get picked over to find something useful.

I use a rubber tipped air gun and 120psi from the compressor. Plug off the input and other nipple, put some air in and you're usually rewarded with a satisfying thunk as the piston shoots out. Keep your fingers out of the way...don't ask.

The "bad eggs".

I must be living right, two of the calipers had the newer anodized pistons. I'm thinking that one of my basket cases had them and I have another caliper in a box somewhere to complete the set. Guess which one isn't a piece of shit.

At the end of the day I had a complete set of three, two with aluminum pistons, one with good steelies and a caffeine jag.

Matt

Nessman screwed with this post 01-03-2005 at 08:39 PM
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,273
keep it coming. i'm jealous - i want an older bike to revive and get back on the road. money isn't working out at the moment though. my k75s is a great bike, but requires little fiddling. i miss that at times.

that guzzi is gonna be a looker when you finish it.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
noshoes
Having Mexico dreams

Oddometer: 2,042
I can't say as I miss fiddling with stuff. When I did my T3, I was luckey enough to work at Pro Italia in LA. So I was able to buy NEW calipers from the distributor. Damn I miss working in a guzzi shop! Retail sucks. That old "cost plus ten" saved me a hell of alot of money....
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes
I can't say as I miss fiddling with stuff. When I did my T3, I was luckey enough to work at Pro Italia in LA. So I was able to buy NEW calipers from the distributor. Damn I miss working in a guzzi shop! Retail sucks. That old "cost plus ten" saved me a hell of alot of money....
Cost plus ten, I'd be divorced in a month....but I'd have some cool parts.

I still love tearing these things apart and putting them back together. I had the wiring almost done but my three relays were too close together and the wiring got messy so I moved one, which threw the whole thing into chaos.

I'm pretty much starting over on the wiring. Looking for a colored wire source to make it look relatively original and continue tweaking my schematic.

Gives me something to think about at work, always a better way to do something.

Matt
Old 01-13-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
I had the wiring almost done but my three relays were too close together and the wiring got messy so I moved one, which threw the whole thing into chaos.

I'm pretty much starting over on the wiring. Looking for a colored wire source to make it look relatively original and continue tweaking my schematic.
If you find one on the internet, please let me know. I have to do my 1988 R100GS wiring. I don't think it'll be possible to get all the various wire/tracer colors, but I haven't found any good local source at all.

What about the wire gauges? Are you going to keep it stock or use heavier gauge wire?
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

For wiring and sleeving I found www.britishwiring.com lots of colors available.

For Bosch relays I found mine through http://www.chiefent.com/

I'm using two of these little guys in the headlight shell for hi/lo beam
http://www.chiefent.com/products/pro...rint.asp?id=24

I used the Chief question form to ask and they sent me to a great little mom and pop company called The Juliana Company,Automotive Relays and Sockets out of Texas

Matt
Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Thanks for the links.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #8
noshoes
Having Mexico dreams

Quote:
Matt
If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll post pix of my T3 wire job. It will either make you laugh your head off, or put the fear of god in you. It's amazing that it runs. The original T3 handlebar switches were crap from the factory, and setting in a canyon in Big Sur for 9 years didn't make them any better. So we morphed a set of Ducati Paso switches on. Between Ducati wire diagrams, and Guzzi diagram, (and I don't speak or read italian), it was a long, frustrating process. (humorous now). How the hell do people read the little bittie writing on those wire diagrams? I ended up taking it to kinkos and having it blown up to a readable size. That was a pain too, as I don't own the copyright on the damn scematic......
Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

I'm too damn cheap to buy different colored wire so as dog loves me I was granted a miracle.

Walking out of the building at work I saw some fellas working on the freight elevator, in a can beside them was a pile of 16 guage wire in 5-10 foot lengths in orange, yellow, brown, blue, purple, pink, tan, black and white.

Being the good dumpster diver I politely asked them if I could haver some and took home a lunchbox full. Might fill the lunchbox again today

Matt
Old 01-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
noshoes
Having Mexico dreams

Talking

Good score!
Should now be able to take the guzzi to the top floor. Or the basement.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 AM   #11
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
I'm too damn cheap to buy different colored wire so as dog loves me I was granted a miracle.

Walking out of the building at work I saw some fellas working on the freight elevator, in a can beside them was a pile of 16 guage wire in 5-10 foot lengths in orange, yellow, brown, blue, purple, pink, tan, black and white.

Being the good dumpster diver I politely asked them if I could haver some and took home a lunchbox full. Might fill the lunchbox again today

Matt
Keep filling it. ;-)

I've been into this more since I got the britishwiring.com URL. The latest is I need to accurately measure and find out how much of each color I need.

It's still a pia for me to sort out just what the 2 gauges are that BMW used. AWG, SWG, mm squared, and British Wiring uses the number of strands. So last night it was a case of remembering the pi r-squared stuff.

British Wiring has what turns out to be old-fashioned wire (although in all the colors I need) and the "modern" thin-wall TXL (which I guess is what the 1988 BMW used) is only available in some colors. I found another site - EagleDay - that has it and it turns out it would cost a small fortune ($$$) -- with connectors and terminals, and shipping, converted to my currency it would be a 4-digit amount.

This was helpful:
----
SELECTING WIRE INSULATION TYPES
General Guidelines:

(When in doubt, use TXL for 18,16,14,and 12 gauge wire, SXL for 10 & 8 gauge, and SGX for 6 gauge and heavier wire.)

Use 125°C rated TXL, GXL, or SXL/SGX wire insulation for engine compartment and general wiring.

The only difference between these is the thickness of the insulation and cost, with the thicker being the more expensive.

TXL is the most popular wire insulation, is the wire used by vehicle manufacturers for most applications, and is the thinnest, lightest, and lowest cost of this family of insulations. It is tough, strong and long lasting.

GXL is an intermediate insulation, with thickness and cost between TXL and SXL.

SXL & SGX are the thickest of the high-temperature insulations, and suggested for use in the heavier gauges, or where some additional protection from possible mechanical damage is needed.

SAE J1128 GPT wire rated at 85°C wire is used for general chassis wiring, and should not be used in the engine compartment of your car, per the SAE spec. Not as tough or heat resistant as the 125°C wire insulation, it is about 20% cheaper.
This is the wire found in retail stores.

Use 105°C rated GPTM wire for your boat, in both engine compartment and general wiring. It is specifically designed for the marine environment.
----

Some people have suggested buying just a roll of white (or maybe white with brown for ground) and using markers. But I don't see that costing much less, because I'd still need the same total length of wire. It's do-able though, with a chart that would show an alphanumeric code for each OEM color.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

http://www.eagleday.com/neauwi.html

I Googled the TXL code and came up with another wire source.

What did folks do before the internet made it so easy to spend money.

Matt