User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #1
mrnobeard OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Subframe for a SR250

I recently purchased a bike off someone on CL for almost dirt cheap. It has a title and it's clean, the only issue is that the previous owner before the previous owner (I guess the previous previous owner) cut the subframe a bit really short and must have had one too many and probably had an because the subframe is bent. I have been searching the interwebz for about a week or two and have only come across an entire frame that was not cut and is straight! Only issue is I don't know if I want to deal with the issue of going through the titling process and and stuff since the other frame comes with a title too and I don't know the DMV aspects as to getting it registered.

SO my question is, can a subframe be reconstructed? I have plans to turn it into a cafe or scrambler or something that I could use to go off the paved roads from time to time. I live in VA and called a few shops around to see if they do this sort of work but they said they don't and each shop I called I was referred to from the previous one. I would really hate to have to let it go without even having had begun to take it apart to look at.

*btw added a photo for reference to see the horrible craftsmanship of the previous owner
Attached Images

mrnobeard screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:31 AM
mrnobeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 13,258
Can it be fixed? Sure. At a price that reflects the potential of the bike? Tougher call.

You say the subframe is bent . . . . are you referring to the rear portion of the frame (since is isn't bolted on, I'd not call it a subframe) . . . . just forward of the shocks?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #3
mrnobeard OP
n00b

Yeah the seated area is off. The rest of the bike is in great shape, just that area where he cut off one of the shock mounts is bent. The bottom portion seemed to be in good shape and straight.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #4
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,865
So then maybe it not so much bent as it was put on crooked when re-attached?

Looks easy enough to cut the frame, slug the extension and build up the missing rear part of the frame easy enough.

Any good fabricator should be able to bang something like this out, what is your end goal in mind?

Passenger seat/peg or just lengthening the rear of the bike.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post

Looks easy enough to cut the frame, slug the extension and build up the missing rear part of the frame easy enough.

Any good fabricator should be able to bang something like this out, what is your end goal in mind?

this . . . . don't try to salvage poor work, start over.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #6
mrnobeard OP
n00b

Quote:

I am hoping to lengthen the rear of the bike so it covers the tire. I just have to find the right shop that will want to rebuild just that section of the bike. BTW! great signature haha

Bomber60015: Yep totally agree. Plus I never give up easily on anything I start!
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnobeard View Post
I am hoping to lengthen the rear of the bike so it covers the tire. I just have to find the right shop that will want to rebuild just that section of the bike. BTW! great signature haha

Bomber60015: Yep totally agree. Plus I never give up easily on anything I start!
if you can't find another rider to do the work, get as many pics/drawings of the area as possible . . . .
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM   #8
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 624
If the cut-off part of the frame/shock mount still has a round frame section visible (I know that the OEM cut-off portion did), you might be able to get a rear frame hoop and the steel slugs that go in both the frame and hoop from one of the popular cafe racer shops. Then it is just a matter of finding a competent welder. If not (or if you need longer framework than just a hoop), then you need to find a competent MC frame builder.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #9
DSM8

Give us some specs of the frame tube OD infront of the place where it is currently cut.

From that distance how far back do you want the frame to extend.
Also what is the distance between the two frame rails @ the cut mark and do you want it to be the same distance all the way back or to taper to a point etc.

If this is to be a straight subframe mod I could use the bender and have something like that made up in about 15 minutes depending on the material OD and if you happen to know the ID even better but I would assume most likely between .095 and .120 wall thickness.

Take a picture looking down on the frame with a tape measure in front on the cut portions.
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #10
mrnobeard OP
n00b

I was able to stop by my family's warehouse after work yesterday and get some snapshots of the bike.

Quote:
Give us some specs of the frame tube OD infront of the place where it is currently cut.

From that distance how far back do you want the frame to extend.
Also what is the distance between the two frame rails @ the cut mark and do you want it to be the same distance all the way back or to taper to a point etc.

If this is to be a straight subframe mod I could use the bender and have something like that made up in about 15 minutes depending on the material OD and if you happen to know the ID even better but I would assume most likely between .095 and .120 wall thickness.

Take a picture looking down on the frame with a tape measure in front on the cut portions.
Will make sure to see if I can swing by today and get some measurements for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
If the cut-off part of the frame/shock mount still has a round frame section visible (I know that the OEM cut-off portion did), you might be able to get a rear frame hoop and the steel slugs that go in both the frame and hoop from one of the popular cafe racer shops. Then it is just a matter of finding a competent welder. If not (or if you need longer framework than just a hoop), then you need to find a competent MC frame builder.
Well, after searching for the cafe hoop you were talking about I saw it online! But the only thing I am missing is a shock mount. But I would want to just cut it off and probably get a new fabricated for it. I did do some researching into it and people say that because it's been bent or something the structure or integrity of that section of the frame was weakened. Which is no bueno if something were to like mysteriously happen
Attached Images

Old Today, 08:52 AM   #11
DSM8

We need to work on your photo skills.
Your asking for some pretty techical advise but not giving us the information we need to answer your questions.

Instead of just taking one picture for 10' away get close ups from multiple angels of each section your asking about.

I would like to see:
  • Rear shot of the cut off part for one side
  • Side shot same section
  • Looking down shot same section
We only need to seen the area in question, not the whole rear wheel in the picture. Basically take more pictures than you think you need, then take some more. From different angles and perspectives. Put a tape measure in there to give some idea of scale etc.

I did research and the stock frame have the back section sweep up so the bend you are seeing may be from the factory. Since there are no pictures other than the two you gave cant tell if that is the case.

Take the time on your side to get the information, we will take the time on ours to try and answer your question. It goes both ways ya know...