Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,042
Suzuki GT550/55W TENERE Frankenbike build

G'day

Over the years I've restored/rebuilt several bikes and have accumulated a few spare parts and bikes. After being inspired by several inmates frankenbike builds I thought it's about time I did one.

I've got a Suzuki GT550 triple that I rescued from the bike wreckers about 12 years ago. The bike was complete but rough and unloved and no one wanted any parts off it so the wreckers was going to dump it. I made an offer and he couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Now before you say I should restore it to it's former glory, I already have an unrestored original GT550 in excellent condition.

I restored an XT600 Tenere a couple of years ago and loved the simplicity and style of the bike especially the blue 55w Tenere so I'm going to make this

look like this, a 55W Tenere

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Compaq_Owner/My%20Documents/Tenere_1985_55W-3.jpg[/IMG]

If you need to ask why then my question to you is why are you reading this thread.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the complete bike but you get the idea.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Oops sorry. Not sure why the picture of the 55w didn't load. Will try again.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Sorry no idea why I can't load it. Here is a link to a picture of one.
http://tenereadventure.com/1985tenere

If someone reading this thread is computer savvy can you please post a picture of the blue 55w Tenere on this thread.

Cheers

3legs
Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

The idea started with this

I had a spare tank and thought what could I do with this so I placed it on the 550 and it almost fitted like a glove so before I started stripping the bike I made it fit with very little modification. A project was born.

So the bike was stripped

I'm not going to do a nitty gritty down to the last bolt rebuild/thread just a general as I go build.

Next was to get the parts required.

A few of the parts I already had from previous builds but I decided to buy the plastics to make it look like a Tenere. I am using IT200 front an rear mudguards and XT600 sidecovers.

The black part of the rear mudguard was from a generic plastic mudguard that i unbolted and cut and shaped to fit the IT200 mudguard

I am using as many original 550 parts as possible. I sandblasted and repainted the switch blocks and recovered the wiring.

Next was the front end. The original 550 is on the left and on the right is from a GS1000 that was attached to a Suzuki GT750 that I recently restored. If you notice the new front end has been extended by making the caps 10cm longer. Now before you all howl me down for doing that, I know it's not a good way to extend forks but I could not find any 4" over tubes in that size and as the bike will not be ridden that much it will do until I can find a pair of over length tubes. Don't worry they will be sleeved to minimise any movement.

3legs
Old 06-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Next was to get the switches/controls sorted.

Note the handlebars. They are from a BMW1100 that I had lying around. It turns out to be the correct bars to use as normal bars would hit the tank but the Beemer bars clear it completely.

Thenit was the wheels turn to get cleaned up. I was going to take the original spokes from the front wheel, clean them up and rebuild the wheel but I snapped a couple of spokes so I got a new set but for the front only as the rear wheel spokes came of easily and all I did was cleans them.

Before and after. Front first then rear.

After

This photo shows what a bit of elbow grease can do (plus ct18 truck wash that they were soaked in).

Next I have to get the new rear end cleaned up. I'm going to convert the 550 into a monoshock.

Iam using a DR650 swingarm which fits with very little modification. All I did was turn down the original swingarm bushes which means I can use the original swingarm axle.

3legs
Old 06-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Ok so far so good. I will be cutting the frame triangular tube that runs from the rear to just under the swingarm axle then will heat the frame under the seat and bend it up to suit the seat then weld in new tubes.

I will have to relocate the swingarm axle pivot point because if I dont the chain will run on the swingarm continously so I will lower it by about 25-30 cm's. Apart from that there is not a lot of modification to the frame. Ok yes there is. Will also have to make up a mounting point for the top of the rear shock.

So at the moment I am using a GS1000 forks, KLR250 front wheel with a KLR650 disc using a gs1000 caliper. The rear end is a DR650 swingarm using a 2007 Kawasaki Z750 shock. BMW 1100LT handlebars with a gs1000 master cylinder. A Tenere fuel tank and a TTR600 seat.

I am going to use a digital speedo but unfortunately it doesn't have a manual tacho so it's speedo only unless someone knows how to get revs electronically from a points operated bike.

So there you have it so far. Will post up picks as I go. Hope you enjoy the build.

Later

3legs
Old 06-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,819
Old 06-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
I will have to relocate the swingarm axle pivot point because if I dont the chain will run on the swingarm continously so I will lower it by about 25-30 cm's. Apart from that there is not a lot of modification to the frame. Ok yes there is. Will also have to make up a mounting point for the top of the rear shock.

I am going to use a digital speedo but unfortunately it doesn't have a manual tacho so it's speedo only unless someone knows how to get revs electronically from a points operated bike.

3legs

Um ... 30 cm's is 12 inches, Alex.

Well someone had to take the piss outta ya, may as well start early and get it over with

Take the pick-up for the tacho' off the negative side of one of the coils. Make sure the tacho can be adjusted for various number of cylinders ( 4,6, or 8 cyclinders ).

Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,542
You're a sick man Alex

Gotta love it
Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #10
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Oops. Got me Luke I mean't mm's. Thanks for the tip re the tacho. When it's time to set it up I might give you a PM to make sure I get it right so I don't blow the unit up.

Would you have me any other way Neil

Later

3legs
Old 06-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #11
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,900
Yup, Neil's right Alex, you need help son.

said VERY quietly: excellent build idea.

TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
LeighSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Hi Alex, you are going to have your second project finished before I get close to finishing my first!!
Looks like it will be interesting, good luck

Triumph Tiger 900 Solo

Triumph Tiger 900 Sidecar
LeighSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
That's going to be a real handful in the dirt. 2 stroke triple engined dirt bike.

Should be hella fun.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i had a gt125 engine in a ts50 frame, that was a bit metal, this thing is going to be a beast! will watch this thread
Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
If someone reading this thread is computer savvy can you please post a picture of the blue 55w Tenere on this thread.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote