User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #2071
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
The not-so-ADV Ninja

Yo JD, here's the not-quite-finished product. Still need to mount the lower portion of the fairings to the crash bars. I had to cut them slightly different than I had originally planned. This is the cleanest way I could cut them so they wouldn't look too horribly bad. The little piece covering the coolant overflow tank will be clipped off to match the other side as soon as I make another out of some stainless water bottles. That will have to wait until I have access to a tig welder and a band saw.

For everyone else, this is my '08 650r. It's ADV inspired for sure, but it's not such an ADV scoot. I mainly wanted to change the ergonomics around to mirror the versys, as you'll see with the versys lower controls and ROX 5.5" risers. Yup, 5.5" risers, accompanied by versys cables and hoses. I'm a small, short FF which is why I don't have a tall bike anymore. I have much more fun on smaller, lighter stuff. Sw motech crash bars mounted up nicely with the exception of a notch I had to cut in the OEM fairing bracketry to bolt the left side on. I can still swap over to my full fairings if I decide to.

Wind protection? They still keep a good amount of wind off of my waist and torso area. Below that it's a crap shoot compared to the OEM fairing. Feels like my legs get a lot more air now.

Now you all have somewhat of an idea of what the motech crash bars look like with the ninja fairing. I hoped to keep more of the fairing, but it just didn't want to work, and cutting them this way turned out to be the best looking option in my opinion.

Not sure it's worthy of the "rat" name, matter of fact, I'm not sure what you would call it. I call it "mine" which is really all that matters to me!
Here she is in all her glory.

I made both the front and rear racks. The front one is dedicated to lights and my rain gear for easy access. Mirrors are from an ER6-N, the oem fairing mounted ones are just as useless as the oem rear shock. The mini ooga horn was a joke at work for a few days, but everyone loves it so it earned a permanent place on the bars. I've also got a wolo air horn tucked behind the headlight.

I've been following all the dirt ninja builds, and love seeing all the modifications. It's cool to see how different people put the same puzzle together! My Ninja's suspension won't be modified over stock height, but it will be re-worked as soon as I can afford it.

The only thing I still can't figure out is how all you guys are under the impression that you can have a Kawasaki without it being bright green.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #2072
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
Not sure it's worthy of the "rat" name, matter of fact, I'm not sure what you would call it. I call it "mine" which is really all that matters to me!

The only thing I still can't figure out is how all you guys are under the impression that you can have a Kawasaki without it being bright green.

i sent a pair of ER6F mid fairings down to Sean for his project so he didn't have to cut up his good set, but he didn't say how many other mods he'd already made, lookin' good. another example of how versatile these bikes are.

got the cop motor too.

as far as the green, looks damn good in my mirrors.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #2073
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i found all this stuff on the side of the road...more or less. ok, some fell off the back of a truck too, except one piece fell off the back of a bus.

a big jigsaw puzzle with a bunch of missing pieces.

jdrocks screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 05:50 PM
Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #2074
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i guess i better start trying to fit everything together, the latest budget build, number four.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #2075
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,270
I still have the versys peg mounts if you need them?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #2076
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,440
You get things to fall out of the truck pretty easily. Can't wait to see the next build shape up.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #2077
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I still have the versys peg mounts if you need them?
thanks, big favor there.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #2078
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
You get things to fall out of the truck pretty easily. Can't wait to see the next build shape up.

David
i got that "fall off the truck" part down pat, it's what fell off the bus that got the ball rolling, another favor extended, much grass...and then i fell into a whole pickup truck load of parts, that helped too. another cheap bike on the way, i just need to find a painter who doesn't mind trying to spray asphalt sealer.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2079
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

this is what fell off the bus...

time to get the show on the road.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #2080
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #2081
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:

This is the content we all signed up for. Wahoo!
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #2082
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Wahoo!
i've said that myself a few times lately.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #2083
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

this build started way above the border back in June, maybe northwestern BC, maybe somewhere in the Yukon, cruising the open road...and i do mean open, i'd never seen fewer vehicles in the height of the travel season. time to build another travel bike

this would be another budget build, used parts 95% of the way, and would start with a search for a project or parts bike, either Versys or ER6. if Versys, i would need a cop motor, if ER6, i would need a Versys frame. the search was wide ranging and in parallel, confident that if i found one at the right price, i would find the other. i missed out on an ER6 parts bike when i thought about it for a day too long, and while i was still kicking myself in the butt, found an even better deal on an ER6 only a couple days later.

i found a very low mile 2009 ER6 that had the parts i wanted, all black cop motor, second generation swingarm, big radiator, and so on. Equally important, it had the near new parts i knew i could sell fairly easily, wheels and fork assembly, that would offset the purchase price and then some, leading the way towards another very inexpensive bike.

the Versys frame search proved to be easier, mainly because i got some very valuable assistance from a distant friend, much grass...people aren't forced to do this kind of favor, it's more a reflection of who they are.

this build won't be about breaking new ground, it's mainly expanding on a recipe for a very affordable and capable travel bike, paved roads, or gravel.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #2084
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i flipped the frame upside down and took a photo of the steel saddle where there is a missing hoop of tubing on the Versys frame which would connect the sides of the subframe. this hoop and an additional strut are welded in place on the ER6 frames using an identical saddle. the Versys has a pair of bolt on struts which double as passenger footrest mounts. some Versys riders still treat these struts as optional decoration, and remove them for a cleaner appearance. i wouldn't.

this frame has some sloppy welds like all the others, including this area where the robot couldn't make up it's mind.

weld over run here, a program error.

i cut 6oz of brackets off the frame again, the bike will feel much lighter.

i ground the welds holding these small brackets. some of the welds had penetration burned below the surface of the frame tubes along the edges. rather than grind these areas smooth on the relatively thin wall of the tubing, i fill these small blems before priming.

use caution with cutting wheels and grinders so that the adjacent frame tubing doesn't get nicked.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #2085
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
i cut 6oz of brackets off the frame again, the bike will feel much lighter
Does this mean you are going lightweight
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote