Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Does this mean you are going lightweight
nope...featherweight.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #2087
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,850
that big Versys rear fender was not going on this build, it can't take the pounding from rough roads, so i'll fab my own version of a heavy duty tail tidy again, except this time i'll weld on some attachment points before the frame is loaded up with other parts.

with the frame upside down, i slid the fender liner in place and marked where it mounted on the 25mm subframe tube.

i dug an old muddy Versys fender out of the parts bin just to check for future interference issues with the tail light assembly, looks ok.

i wasn't sure if i would need the 6mm assembly jig stud or not, but i threaded both of them for M6X1 just in case. it's a lot easier when you can swing a die holder.

now there's a pair of threaded studs.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #2088
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,985
You sir have a secret super power like superman when it comes to finding deals on bikes and parts.I am jealous as heck.Digging the new build.Can't wait to see this one finished.It's gonna be AWESOME!
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #2089
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
Sorry just a quick hijack, gotta introduce the new girl in my life; or just post another pic...

Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #2090
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sorry just a quick hijack, gotta introduce the new girl in my life; or just post another pic...

Versys and VFR love child.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #2091
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You sir have a secret super power like superman when it comes to finding deals on bikes and parts...
no superman powers, just persistence. i start the search for a project or parts bike knowing that the right deal is out there somewhere, i just need to find it. when the right deal is found, it's the reverse of the norm in the sense that the seller is essentially paying you, the buyer, to take the bike off his hands.

in the first major purchase for the build, you walk away with money IN your pocket, which is then used for other part purchases. my objective is always to build an inexpensive bike, and although this one might end up twice as expensive as the last one, i'm still looking at around $1200 excluding tires...or i might splurge on a few things, bumping the turnkey cost to $1500, still cheap for a very low mile bike that will be another proven traveler.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #2092
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
very nice. don't get it dirty.

i don't think i could buy the wheels on your bike for the equivalent cost of my entire bike. you should lend it to me for a couple weeks, i'll send it back all hot rodded.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #2093
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
very nice. don't get it dirty.

i don't think i could buy the wheels on your bike for the equivalent cost of my entire bike. you should lend it to me for a couple weeks, i'll send it back all hot rodded.
Or you could just fly out to Montana and go riding. Skip riding across North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson, Illinois, etc.

David
Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #2094
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Or you could just fly out to Montana and go riding. Skip riding across North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson, Illinois, etc.

David
thanks for the offer, but i can't even keep my own bikes right side up.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2095
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

the sub frame tube is 25mm, so i cut a 1" (25.4mm) radius on some steel bar ends tapped for M8X1.25. i drilled indexing holes in the tubing, then ran a tap through the mount and into the tubing so that the M8 threads would align. this allows the use of a common length fastener that i have on hand. once positioned with a M8 bolt, the mounts are welded in place.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #2096
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
thanks for the offer, but i can't even keep my own bikes right side up.
You did all right with that Verseys you took to Alaska. -David
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #2097
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
You did all right with that Verseys you took to Alaska. -David
not that i didn't have some close calls on the way to Anchorage, but it was more the nature of travel across the west and north.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #2098
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Is there a brief synopsis of project-to-project changes and/or differences you can point out, as to why you decided to start over each time? Have the er..."mission profiles" been that different enough, trip to trip, to shelve one build in favour of another?

Don't get me wrong, I greedily look forward with anticipation each time I see a new JD Engineering Project appear. Sorry, but selfishly I hope you are never satisfied enough to stop, lol

It just seems everytime I see one of your little masterpieces, I am a bit surprised to then check in later and discover you have sold it/scrapped it/etc., and are doing another one, that seems (to me) the same, but an alternate universe variant, to which the pertinent and obviously important details escape me
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #2099
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Is there a brief synopsis of project-to-project changes and/or differences you can point out, as to why you decided to start over each time? Have the er..."mission profiles" been that different enough, trip to trip, to shelve one build in favour of another?

Don't get me wrong, I greedily look forward with anticipation each time I see a new JD Engineering Project appear. Sorry, but selfishly I hope you are never satisfied enough to stop, lol

It just seems everytime I see one of your little masterpieces, I am a bit surprised to then check in later and discover you have sold it/scrapped it/etc., and are doing another one, that seems (to me) the same, but an alternate universe variant, to which the pertinent and obviously important details escape me
I was thinking the same. JD does great work but I think the way the rear shock has to mount limits the rear suspension on the bike. And its heavy... but who knows what JD will come up with.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #2100
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I'd like to hear of the design/construction evolution synopsis also...been looking for a cheap kawi in my area with no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote