Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #2206
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,887
the ER6 computer usually mounts parallel to the frame rail, while the Versys computer mounts perpendicular to the frame with the connection facing right, and required a bracket that fits to mounts under the subframe cross member. didn't have the right bracket, but i did have a bracket that fit the rubber isolation mount used with the Versys computer.

the ER6N mount is about 15mm too narrow to fit the Versys subframe cross member but could probably be adapted. the mount i had needed to be clearanced so that i could use some small tabs in the OEM bolt holes. now the computer bracket was far enough right to tuck up under the cross member.

new plated steel tabs at pointer. ER6N bracket with rubber isolator, can't be used without some additional work.

the computer has a step in the design and needs to be mounted in the correct location. if blocked down from the cross member, the fender liner doesn't fit.

i was standing there admiring how well everything fit until i realized that i forgot to mount the seat latch, damn, had to loosen things up to slide the latch in under the cross member.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #2207
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

cleaned up and mounted a few more parts. the new attachment points i welded on the underside of the subframe look like they clear everything so far, should come in handy for mounting a custom tail assembly, forget all those OEM parts back there.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2208
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,478
It looks pretty daunting at this point. You've got a nice system working though and the final product works well.

Do you have a time estimate of all the little design elements you have put together for these builds? Seems impressive to me watching this evolve over several years.

Here are some of the items I noted:

DL1000 front wheel and hub with caliper and brake rotor
DRZ standard fork w/ spacers for triple clamp
Triple clamp and frame fitting
Rear shock from R1 fit to frame and swing arm
swing arm to frame
rear hub and sprocket alignment, w/ sprocket ratio
Engine to frame fitting
Wire harness to engine and dash
Harness mounting to frame
Cooling system mods, including rad guard
Front fairing and headlight assembly
handle bar to triple clamp w/ lever assemblies
Foot peg and lever assemblies
Exhaust mods

13 or more major assemblies with interconnecting parts. You source the parts used and assemble them in your garage. Obviously staying with a single family of engines helps, but it is an impressive bit of work.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2209
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Seems impressive to me watching this evolve over several years.
you might be impressed with what you see, but you might not be so impressed if you saw some of the stuff that didn't work. i only own it if it works, doesn't work, never happened, and you sure as heck will never see it.

there's some carry over from build to build, but they're all different in many ways, and always surprises. sometimes i have to consult my own build thread to jog my memory.

surprises, yup, read on...
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2210
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i intended to use the Versys footrest mounts again, ain't got any, or not until fellow builder 4play mailed me a set he wasn't using on his rat Ninja, much grass, my friend.

i had 3 ER6 brake pedals, no Versys pedal, plus a pair of rear brake masters. they all mount the same, some combination will work, that's what i thought anyway, and never bothered to source a Versys pedal. the short version...nothing fit, not even close.

i found a photo of the Versys pedal, looked way different, so i chose the beefiest ER6 pedal, cut off the tab for the rear master actuator clevis, clocked it about 70 degrees, then welded it back together. the welds needed to be smoothed so it wouldn't hang up on the mount.

the ER6 model used a beefier pedal than the Versys, now it fits. pedal gets painted later. the tab pinned to the clevis used to run straight out the back of the pedal.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #2211
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you might be impressed with what you see, but you might not be so impressed if you saw some of the stuff that didn't work. i only own it if it works, doesn't work, never happened, and you sure as heck will never see it.
Actually, I realize this. But that adds to the impressiveness. How many side roads ate up your time, money, and ingenuity, and you still get a reliable bike working for the next riding season on budget. Lots of people get caught down a side road on their project and never come back. You either don't take too many side roads, or you recover well, or both. Here's a toast.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #2212
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Lots of people get caught down a side road on their project and never come back.
you might be right, with a build like this think marathon, ain't a sprint.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #2213
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i had a set of used Fastway EVOIIIs with the conical studs in the bin, i really like these footrests. the Versys mounts use a 12mm pin, the Fastways had a 10mm insert that was also too long. time to drill and trim to fit, not too bad. 12mm inserts are available for the Fastways, but i haven't identified a good source. anyone?

to the right of the Fastway is a KLR250 footrest that gets clipped off it's own mount and becomes the folding end for the brake pedal. if anyone decides to do this, remember to source the right side footrest so it folds the correct direction. a used KLR250 footrest can usually be found cheap, like a couple bucks.

the ER6 pedal end gets cut off, then the KLR footrest is welded in place. make sure the angle is right, and the new end is square to the bike footrest.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #2214
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i cut the passenger footrest mounts off the subframe braces, that's right, they're braces, not some ornamental foofoo. there's some thermal distortion where these pieces were welded, and due to the relatively thin wall of the tubing, don't grind too much in these areas. get them cleaned up, add a bit of bondo, sand, ready for paint.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #2215
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,274
Nice JD hadn't realized you started another one. Sicko

I have a lot of spares from my Ninja, let me know if you need something and I'll root through the box. The black looks great!

I'm about to embark on another 650 build as well but should be a big departure from the other one I built.

Keep up the good work!

Pete

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #2216
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

I have a lot of spares from my Ninja, let me know if you need something and I'll root through the box. The black looks great!

I'm about to embark on another 650 build as well but should be a big departure from the other one I built.
yeah, another one, helps me cope with winter. snow in the forecast here in eastern VA, unbelievable.

appreciate the offer on parts, i see you're looking for some yourself.

nothing big here, i'm just looking for another gravel runner that travels as well as the last build. should be fast in black.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #2217
fasteddiecopeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
i had a set of used Fastway EVOIIIs with the conical studs in the bin, i really like these footrests. the Versys mounts use a 12mm pin, the Fastways had a 10mm insert that was also too long. time to drill and trim to fit, not too bad. 12mm inserts are available for the Fastways, but i haven't identified a good source. anyone?...
Dave - FWIW... when I added DR650 'pegs to my Vs, I just used 3/8UNC bolts and lock-nuts to attach, and SO FAR they've stayed in place PDG! ('Course I don't weigh quite as much as you do....)
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2218
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dave - FWIW... when I added DR650 'pegs to my Vs, I just used 3/8UNC bolts and lock-nuts to attach, and SO FAR they've stayed in place PDG! ('Course I don't weigh quite as much as you do....)
sorry Father Edward, no DR pegs or bolts, man i couldn't get that kind of stuff past my chief QC inspector, would never fly. apparently, nobody would notice on your green/red bug motos.

as for the other issue...you're a skinny little Canuck, but your slow as molasses bike weighs a freakin' ton, whereas, i'm a big mofo, but my lightning quick cop motor powered moto is light as a feather.

since whoever gets to the truck scales first sets the rules, if we rode up on the scales, it would be a tie, that's what the weigh ticket would say.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #2219
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

those with a long memory would recall that i used a late model KLR650 side stand on the last build, excellent choice, even for a bone stock Versys. i found a cheap used one awhile back, but even this part is getting scarce, more difficult to find. like the last build, the KLR side stand needs to be lengthened, and the shape of this stand is a real plus because it prevents the long stand from contacting the swingarm.

get the KLR spring with the stand if you have the opportunity, it's a little shorter and keeps the heavier lengthened stand in place when up.

when i first decided to use the stand, i checked the OD, then looked around the shop for a piece of tube that would work as a spacer, nothing, but i did have a bent steel handle bar that might work with the ID, hmmmm.

the KLR stand is cut in the middle of the short straight section on the lower end, but before the cut, mark an index line on both sides of the cut so that the parts can be easily realigned. the last time i did this, the stand was lengthened 85mm, worked great, but i always thought i could have gone a little longer. this time i'll extend it 90mm, that's right folks, the KLR650 stand gets extended a little over 3 1/2" to fit this moto.

the section of bar tube used as an extension is the right diameter, but almost a press fit unless the paint is removed. i started with about 40mm on each end beyond my 90mm marks, then trimmed a little to get the best fit.

the stand was assembled loose before welding to check the fit on the bike, made a very minor adjustment so the foot was perfectly flat on the concrete, then added index marks on the extension tube. holes were drilled in both halves of the stand for a plug weld, the index marks lined up, then the plugs welded which locked everything in place.

i would have welded the rest of it, but my welding helmet died, damn piece of junk, shoulda lasted more than 15 years.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #2220
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
i would have welded the rest of it, but my welding helmet died, damn piece of junk, shoulda lasted more than 15 years.
They just don't make quality stuff anymore...
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote