Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #616
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,352
My buddy is bombing around on the gravel roads with a fully loaded DL1000 on those wheels. He's a class B enduro rider out here so he's no slouch with bikes. Your wheel will hold up fine in this application.

David
Alaska Trip Report Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #617
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 719
Tank question...

Hey JD, I've got a young (and poor) friend over on the ST-owners site... He had an ST1100, but it died a slow, painful death. He just scored a Ninja 650 and needs to know how to get more fuel capacity without having to add an auxiliary tank. Do you have any suggestions for what might give him more gallons of capacity?

Thanks a million,

Rod House
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #618
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I think I got the cheese.
maybe. zero visibility crossing the pass on frozen slush, i was frozen myself...death grip on the bars. i knew all my lights were covered with mud, i was seriously worried that one of those big ass trucks was going to roll right over the top of me.

when i got through the pass and could finally stop, i could barely straighten my fingers, frozen in the shape of the grips.

that was northbound, 24 hours later it was even worse southbound.

...doesn't mean i'm not ready to go do it again. what a trip.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #619
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
My buddy is bombing around on the gravel roads with a fully loaded DL1000 on those wheels. He's a class B enduro rider out here so he's no slouch with bikes. Your wheel will hold up fine in this application.

David
i think so, pretty well proven. i don't air down on gravel, and those big tires are wheel savers.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #620
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
He just scored a Ninja 650 and needs to know how to get more fuel capacity without having to add an auxiliary tank.
if your buddy just wants a bigger main tank, then pick up a gallon by swapping in a used Versys tank like this...

650R tank

Versys tank

650R on left, Versys right. the mounts are the same.

the Versys uses a fuel sending unit which is not needed on the 650R. the fuel pumps are interchangeable, so you retain the low fuel light on the 650R.

the 650R seat does not fit the profile of the Versys tank, but you could do a low buck fix on this or ride it as is. the Versys tank has the tabs for the goofy Versys plastic, but they can be removed.

one gallon doesn't seem like a lot, but it puts the range out over 200 miles and that's good for most places in the US.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #621
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
jd,

I'm not sure if you answered this already, but I was wondering:

Why do you make a fork mounted fairing rather than a frame mounted fairing?

I would think that fork mounted fairings cause the bike to have worse handling characteristics compared to frame mounted.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #622
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662 View Post
Why do you make a fork mounted fairing rather than a frame mounted fairing?
the little fairing just helps protect the instruments, wiring, switches, etc. from rain and mud, maybe gravel or other road junk too. in other words, it's for the bike, not the rider. i've ridden the bike without the fairing, can't see any difference in the way it handles. it rides like an unfaired bike.

the mount might look complicated, but the front end is designed with survivability in mind in the event of mishap. the accessory mounts are modular, and are bolted on rather than welded. the main core mount is is very strong but is fabricated with lighter gauge steel than the first generation mount. the idea is that the front end can be disassembled and pounded back into usable shape on the top of a flat rock while on the side of the road. can't do that with most frame mounted full fairing setups.

then there's speed. the bike will cruise effortlessly at 80mph all day long, and i'm not found much north of that number too often. if you were at the century mark, the handling might be different, couldn't tell ya.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #623
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Hey JD, I'm old2wheelers friend out here in Colorado. This is most excellent. The tank I have is dented and will need replacing, although it's low on my list of priorities at the moment, tanks aren't cheap.

I was wondering, could you elaborate on the seat/tank matching up issue? Maybe a photo with the seat and tank? The above pics with the two tanks was very helpful. I plan on having the seat Spencerized to help the arse, so if it needs to be modded want to get that done too.

Any good source to find a decent versys tank?

smash81 screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 09:06 AM
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #624
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post

I was wondering, could you elaborate on the seat/tank matching up issue? Maybe a photo with the seat and tank?
checked the archives, no photo, but you can see the difference in the photos of the bike with each tank mounted. i think there's a 3/4" gap where the 650R seat meets the Versys tank. the seat and tank both mount normally, it's just the shape of the foam.

a tank with a dent is no big deal, the 650R tank in the photo had a dent that was filled, then the tank repainted.

as far as finding a decent used Versys tank, ya just have to beat the bushes. mine had one small chip in the paint, and sold for $25.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #625
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks JD, I can easily live with that. Appreciate you going through all your pics!

$25?!? Jeez. Nothing less than $200 + shipping on ebay, and even then there's only two!!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #626
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
$25?!? Jeez. Nothing less than $200 + shipping on ebay, and even then there's only two!!
if you can't find the larger tank, you could investigate ways to carry extra fuel, and that's a subject that gets discussed every so often on the forum. MSR bottles, fuel bladders, gas cans in various configurations and mounts...all kinds of options.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #627
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

For sure. I'm a Rotopax man.

Thanks again JD, hats off to your ingenuity and fabrication skills.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #628
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
JD, looking at your pictures with the versys tank on the 650 with the stock bars...... would handlebar risers be necessary ? I have a er6n so zero off road for me.

I like what you did for a rear shock solution as well, seriously considering taking your route as it's considerably less expensive than buying a new one.

Great work you and the rest of the 650 rat pack crew do....
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #629
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
JD, looking at your pictures with the versys tank on the 650 with the stock bars...... would handlebar risers be necessary ? I have a er6n so zero off road for me.

I like what you did for a rear shock solution as well, seriously considering taking your route as it's considerably less expensive than buying a new one.

Great work you and the rest of the 650 rat pack crew do....

risers determined by your preferred riding position on the 6N, i don't think your stock bars would interfere with the tank, if that's the question.

as far as using the R1 on the 6N, remember that shock is longer than your oem shock, and more approximates the length of the Versys shock. maybe about 25mm longer, works in my application, but might not work in yours.

if you do use it, i neglected to mention that a pair of 12mm washers should be used on the upper bushing so that the shock adjustment screw doesn't rub on the shock mount.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #630
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

still screwing around with the front fender, and my little experiment with the superbike fender didn't work out, tossed that bitch, a waste of time. besides the appearance, the DRZ forks in the Versys clamps are about 20mm wider than same forks in the oem DRZ clamps. while the fender might work on a stock DRZ, it doesn't work here, in fact, a mess.

i had an old 650R fender, and decided to cut that up into a minimalist lower fender. now i need a new mounting system, so i'll fabricate that too.