Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #1036
david white
Wanderer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
report started here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post16706842

bike, ready to go, panniers packed, tool tubes mounted. duffle and spare TKC get strapped across the back. i hate carrying tires.

Not shipping the tires to our old friend Michael in Watson Lake? Good Luck JD looking forward to another one of your great RR's
david white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #1037
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by david white View Post
Not shipping the tires to our old friend Michael in Watson Lake? Good Luck JD looking forward to another one of your great RR's
where the heck ya been?...long time no hear.

yeah, Michael has a fresh set of TKCs, i just need to get there.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #1038
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i'm prepared to do tire work out on these trips, hopefully not on the side of the road, but you never know. no center stand, no problem.

i went by to see an inmate who was moving, wanted to purchase a few things he didn't want to relocate. spied a pair of crutches in a pile that was about to be put out on the curb for trash pickup, hey, i can use those and no, i'm not injured.

i just needed an adjustable jack for the rear paddock stand bobbin...

trimmed the adjustable center tubing section to the length i wanted, and fabbed the end. pins together and packs away small. i just fabbed the end from what was laying around, but i'll do a pair in aluminum when i get a chance.

thanks Mike P., put to good use.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #1039
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

pannier mounts

had a question come in on the new mounts, here they are...

the pannier mounts that fit the ER6 subframe don't work with the Versys subframe, mainly because of the difference in the seat lock location, although there are a few other issues too.

so i saved what i could from the old and fabbed the rest for the new Versys mount.

i formed an angle for the piece that supports the case back plate and trimmed it to fit behind the trellis and onto the existing lugs. i wanted this piece mounted in tight to the subframe rather than on the outside of the trellis for strength and to keep the face of the pannier in as close as possible. i like the panniers to match the lines of the subframe rather than hang at some odd angle, and this criteria was also incorporated in the new mounts.

i cut the unused mounts off the old back plates and welded on the formed angle. the mounts also connect to the fabbed mounting plate that replaced the passenger pegs on the trellis, so new brackets were fabbed for these also. the crossbrace was reused in new mounting holes, which indicate that the panniers are almost 3" narrower in overall width than there were on the ER6.

blasted and painted, then the whole works mounted. ready to go.

the mounts are rock solid.

the tool tubes don't fit the mounting surface on the side of the small 1450 Pelicans so a 3x12x10ga mounting bracket was fabbed to mate things together. works great, and handy to have them for chain lube, or whatever.

jdrocks screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 08:31 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #1040
david white
Wanderer

Quote:
where the heck ya been?...long time no hear.

yeah, Michael has a fresh set of TKCs, i just need to get there.
No big trips this year, staying close to home. Bought a couple new toys I've been playing around with in the south Jersey woods, central Pa, and New York state. Wanted to run the Beehive enduro in south Jersey tomorrow but Irene had different plans for us... cancelled. Bike looks great, good luck and safe travels. Heard some reports of snow in the higher elevations in Alaska last week. Doing the Dempster? Bring me up to speed when you get a chance.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #1041
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
...Irene had different plans for us... cancelled.

Bike looks great, good luck and safe travels.

thanks. i know about that stalker bitch Irene and big plans...power out here and blowing a flat gale, huge tide making up for later tonight. departure plans indefinite.

sounds like dirtbike toys, still have the 1150?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #1042
david white
Wanderer

Quote:
thanks. i know about that stalker bitch Irene and big plans...power out here and blowing a flat gale, huge tide making up for later tonight. departure plans indefinite.

sounds like dirtbike toys, still have the 1150?
Our power just came back on...not off too long. Pretty good breeze blowing up here with a lot of local streams flooding. Hope all works out for the trip and indefinite doesn't mean what I'm thinking. Bought a new 11 ktm 450 exc and I found a new 09 ktm 250 xc w 2 smoke at dealer cost that had my name all over it. Setting the crf 250 x up for rock runs the ktm 250 for tight south jersey single track and the 450 pulls dual sport duty in the ktm national dual sport events. Still have the 1150... but she's feeling neglected sitting next to the other three. Keep in touch, good luck with the clean up.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #1043
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,985
Well thanks.You ruined it for me again.Another bike I have to give in and admit is cool when built by the right person.I'll keep my eyes out.If I see one for the right price I may build a gravel runnner outta her.I was preping to restore a GS to running condition to sell,so I could buy a DS.The owner of the DS sold it before I could get things cleared away to get on the GS.Your thread has inspired me to take an old clunky GS and toss some DS tires on and some crash gear.

Great build.I'll be stalking your thread over on the Kwacker forum.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #1044
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Our power just came back on...not off too long.
hey mr. KTM guy, just got power back, 700,000 others in Virginia still without. just lucky i guess, could have been much worse.

outta here tuesday AM if no further calamity.

at least i didn't have 60 trees down in the yard like the last time.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #1045
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

Great build.I'll be stalking your thread over on the Kwacker forum.
yup, ya need to build something.

how does the 649HP get on a Kwacker forum? i thought the Kwacker was the old 636 sportbike.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #1046
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
yup, ya need to build something.

how does the 649HP get on a Kwacker forum? i thought the Kwacker was the old 636 sportbike.

Around my parts we call all Kawasaki kwackers.

Still catching up on your thread over on the Versys forum.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #1047
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 647
Sorry, maybe you already discussed this, I didn't have time to read all 70 pages. But there are three things I'm wondering about since you made it an adventure bike.
1. Why didn't you do spoked wheels?
2. Why only single disc brake in front?
3. Why did you keep the stock exhaust? Why not run a pipe up under, or to the side, in the back?

But really, I like the bike a lot. My gf has a Versys that I ride sometimes. I'd probably ride it a whole lot more if it was built like this. Very creative and unique!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #1048
david white
Wanderer

Quote:
hey mr. KTM guy, just got power back, 700,000 others in Virginia still without. just lucky i guess, could have been much worse.

outta here tuesday AM if no further calamity.

at least i didn't have 60 trees down in the yard like the last time.
Glad to hear your a go. We have towns close to us that will not have power until the weekend... a least that is what they are being told. Downed trees did the most damage around here with a lot of local small streams overflowing...they receeded quickly though. Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #1049
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Sorry, maybe you already discussed this, I didn't have time to read all 70 pages. But there are three things I'm wondering about since you made it an adventure bike.
1. Why didn't you do spoked wheels?
2. Why only single disc brake in front?
3. Why did you keep the stock exhaust? Why not run a pipe up under, or to the side, in the back?

But really, I like the bike a lot. My gf has a Versys that I ride sometimes. I'd probably ride it a whole lot more if it was built like this. Very creative and unique!
I'll try answering these based on what I've read in the thread.

1.) This was a budget build and wire wheels are more expensive than used cast wheels, and cast wheels worked out well on the previous bikes.

2.) DRZ forks were used on the front end, and they come with only one caliper mount, and it turned out that JD was happy with the stopping power from the single (oversize?) rotor.

3.) I think this was based the lack of need and budget to convert the exhaust to the more conventional design. Longer shock and forks upped the ground clearance, and the stock exhaust was adequate on the previous gravel runner bikes.

Again, these answers are not from the horse's mouth, so to speak, but are just from someone who has been following this thread.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #1050
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662 View Post
I'll try answering these based on what I've read in the thread.
Cool. Thanks Donny. Usually I won't ask q's till I read the whole thread, but holy hell man, this is a huge thread! That all makes a lot of sense if budget was priority number one. Maybe I'll have to spend some time in this thread when there's snow on the ground and get some ideas for our Versys. Any way you slice it, it's a hell of a kawi!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote