Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,269
Thanks for reading...ALL of you...mean it.

The music in that vid is by a good friend and you can find out more here:

www.gardeningnotarchitecture.com

Her 11/25 entry is about being at my house and there are little tabs where you can listen to the full album or go to I-tunes to buy it. She's the real deal.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I had been invited to meet some friends at Saline Valley for Veteran's Day weekend. This was in front of seventeen days that I had already planned for Death Valley. I made my buddies promise to feed me when I got there and put some gas in the bike to help out as this extra trip wasn't in the budget. We made the plans and I started getting ready.

There were a few things that I wanted to do for the XRR before the trip.

The clutch basket and bushing were worn out. New Hinson basket and a factory bushing.

I've had this on my mind...RZ350 chopper.

I've had a new thermostat waiting to go in, it needed it.

I printed out the directions and made my own oil sight tube kit.

I've had this fan sitting here, but with the thermostat stuck open the bike never got hot enough to need it.

I started wiring in new switch gear, but I ran out of time...I don't have blinkers on the bike anyways.

All packed up and ready to go.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I took my usual route to get out of town.

There had been a recent snow storm over Carson Pass, but it was listed as being open. There was about a 12 mile stretch of ice that was really horrible, waving cars around me so they wouldn't drive over me if I fell down.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I'm freezing, found a dirt route to the south of Carson City to get to Hwy 395...time for a warm up.

It's been a long cold day and we're almost there.

I saw a street bike with a Husky 610 near here, it looked like they were airing down the tires on the cruiser.

I just might make it before dark.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
Jimr80gs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
In!

Jimr80gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 737
Excellent, excellent.

I am planning my return for march but after reading this I may have to go sooner.

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
somthing is here ... it calls to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Twenty-one days in Death Valley on an XR650R...alone.
Sweet!

Been looking forward to this RR! Was beginning to think that you may have moved on from these epic creations ... so glad I can enjoy at least one more Larryboy ride report ...

Thanks so much for all the time and effort in creating the RRs I enjoy so much!

-- SFMCjohn
PS: missed you at the Dirtbag ... hope to see you on 12/19?
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Thumb *****All I want for Christmas...

is another Larryboy tale!

So I've been scanning the maps and dreaming of and planning my own DV ride this winter. I even reread some of your other DV reports... again. (The stuff captivates my imagination.) Then a couple weeks ago someone posted in another thread they had spotted your bike in DV.

YES! Was he just out for the weekend? Will he write about it? Will we be inspired by yet another masterpiece?

So everyday since, I've scanned Ride Reports. Looking not at the title, but searching for my favorite author. Today, Christmas came early! 21 Days! Awesome!

***** I hereby make a motion to have this masterpiece in the making granted STICKY status.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #24
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Thanks for reading, folks!!

John, you two kids really got hitched? I must be the last to find out!! Congrats!!! What are we doing the 19th?

Dave, you're just too dang nice!! I really struggled as to whether or not I'd do another report or not. I sat down last Friday and went through some of my video footage and got excited about it. I'll do my best, but I'm going to cut a few corners here and there..like no photo editing...none, I'm not doing it.

On with the story, I don't want Ladybug up early to drink coffee and not have an update.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #25
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I was sooo incredibly stoked to see my buddy Paris!!! That's him at the end of the first riding video. We met here at the springs back in 2007, hooked up again in 2008 and missed each other in 2009. We were back on track and the whole gang that I met back in 2007 was here this time. Paris had me toss my camp up really quick as there was going to be a potluck at the lower springs for dinner!!!

Can you believe this spread?!? There was even a duck cooked in a rock oven all day..super tasty!!

I shot some really good video of the guitar playing around the fire, but it's shot in High Def and very labor intensive to edit and compress...I may add it in later, but for now you'll need to imagine if you will.

We had a super awesome evening!! We went back up to camp to go for a hot springs soak. The street bike and TE610 showed up about then and I'd been there for three hours already.

My plans for the next couple of days? Mostly this:

Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I get up pretty early to go for a soak.

I'm starving as I mostly had veggies for dinner last night. Paris likes to sleep in.

I went up to Last Beer Dan's camp to rustle up some grub. This is Dan, cool guy!!

This is Kite Bob, he flies kites..go figure.

This is Tammy, super fun gal!!

This is Steve, we all really engoyed his guitar playing. Very good picker and a great guy to talk to. He heard about this place and drove from Oklahoma just to check it out.

There were a ton of really cool rigs here this time, so I spent the morning walking around looking at stuff.

This cool set up belongs to Sage, he had a chopper in the trailer. For some reason I didn't take a picture of the bike..I think it was because his dog didn't like me and I was nervous. He wanted to smack the dog, but I asked him not to as I thought my motorcycle boots were the problem...right down in his face with plastic shiny stuff and buckles. I was right as I saw the dog later, I was barefoot and we got along fine.

Darwin Dave's parents were out for the week.

Time to prune up again.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #27
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Hey Rob, another ride report? There goes the neighborhood. Dan is actually an inmate. Goes by Phats1 in these parts. And 21 says in DV? I could only dream. Absolutly awesome!!!!! There are very few that understand the lure of the desert. You seem to capture it! Keep it up and dont ever change. Guys like you are what make Advrider what it is. Not some poser looking for attention. A real adventure rider that's willing to take the time to share his adventure, that's you.

Thanks for taking the time. There are people that really appreciate what you put into it.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #28
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
On with the story, I don't want Ladybug up early to drink coffee and not have an update.

Some interesting camp set ups there.

And what Nate said.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #29
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
we don't need no photo editing!

Quote:
Thanks for reading, folks!!

John, you two kids really got hitched? I must be the last to find out!! Congrats!!! What are we doing the 19th?
Thanks! It was a nice wedding; Lake Pillsbury and KLRs ... ha!

There's a sendoff party for Jonah Street at 6:30 pm Sunday at the club ... hope to see you there ...?

Looking forward to the rest of the RR, we were worried about all of you in DV over T-day with all the weather and cold ... looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #30
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
21 days.......

While your loading the next segment,I'll be trying to figure out where I went wrong.....

Great start,looking forward to the next installment..
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote