Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
AdvRat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Black Dog or PABiker Sidestand Relocator?

Trying to find out what the best company to purchase the sidestand relocator from for my 990 - Black Dog or PABiker?

Which one solves the problem the best, creates the strongest new mounting point for the sidestand, best design, strongest all together?

I know they are both very popular, and I appreciate the messages from both companies, I'm just having a hard time trying to decide which one - so I'm hoping for some pluses and minuses from users of each design. Because they are both very different in their approach to solving the problem, and I'm sure are both very good products. Thanks.

ps. I'm not trying to step on any toes, just wanting to get some personal comments on each desigh - sorry to each company.

AdvRat screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 05:40 PM
AdvRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
I chose the Black dog because it blends in, looks original it keeps the stand in the stock position . I 'm sure the other brand works fine, it just looks too much like something I could make in my garage. A little too KLR ish for me

KTM 990R 500EXC

catalina38 screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 09:03 AM
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,231
Both seem work well.

One benefit I got with my PABiker bracket- The sidetand toe tab is right were I can get to it. While still sitting on the bike.
Being a short legged FF, I mount & dismount on the sidestand. Very strong.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
PA is bomber, VERY strong (what I'm using currently), BUT it puts the sidestand out to the side which reduces clearance for obstacles, brush, rocks, and street cornering lean-angle. These are not issues 80-90% of the time, but once in a while it comes up. A plus for the PA is that it clears up that space below the front sprocket making it easier to clean all the chain goo and spot leaks such as the gear indicator sensor o-ring (which I just fixed). The stock kick-stand location was always covered in oil and grit for me, oozing down the stand. I have raised "S" suspension and my chain rubs the relocator ever so slightly, even when it is properly adjusted. I don't worry too much about it (it'll cut it's own groove soon enough! ), but it is there.

Haven't used the Black-Dog, but might give it a try, mostly because of those clearance issues. It's much sleeker and tucked up out of the way. One guy I rode with said it "flexed" a little when you set the bike down on it, leading me to believe it might not be super-strong, but this is only one report I've heard.

Both are great I'm sure, I got one of the first batch PA stands because it was the first bolt-on solution available. Get thee off the cases, side-stand!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 638
I went with Black Dog, took 10 minutes to install and does remove the side stand from the case. I am sure PA bikers is nice as well and has its advantages, but the simplicity of the Black Dog relocator is pretty nice.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 814
I have used both...

I've used both the PA and the BDCW stands. They are both strong and built to support the bike and rider (dis)mounting.

I had the PA on my 990 and it held up to a lot of abuse including a loose chain that wore on it a bit. I went with the BDCW on the SE because I wanted the sidestand in the same neutral position as stock. For me, the BDCW fulfilled that requirement while the PA set back more than I preferred.

-Pax

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
teti
especie en extincion ®

Oddometer: 143
KTMkickstand using and super as better reached stand q before, Board less fat and more comfortable to clean, super strong

Best regards

----------------------------------------------------------------
KTMkickstand usando y super conforme , llego mejor al caballete q antes , junta menos grasa y mas comodo para limpiar , super fuerte

saludos
teti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
I have Pax's 990 and I'm thinking of switching to the BDCW mount after having the 990 fall off the stand while warming up the bike. The PAbiker stand is too far back and has almost no forward slant. This is problematic if the parking area is not level.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,024
BDCW here. Love it. Bike feels more solid on it as well.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
AdvRat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I have Pax's 990 and I'm thinking of switching to the BDCW mount after having the 990 fall off the stand while warming up the bike. The PAbiker stand is too far back and has almost no forward slant. This is problematic if the parking area is not level.
I'm not familiar with this mount, or am I reading you post wrong? But thanks everyone for the comments - they are all great. I like hearing the reasons why you have decided on either one of them.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRat View Post
I'm not familiar with this mount, or am I reading you post wrong? But thanks everyone for the comments - they are all great. I like hearing the reasons why you have decided on either one of them.
BlackDog Cycle Works BDCW
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I just finished installing the blackdog mount about an hour ago. Installation is a breeze. The product is top quality and it bolts on with no issues what so ever. I don't see a down side to the BD product and I will be recommending to my 950/990 riding friends.

To be fair, I have never seen or had any experience with the PA mount.

Ken
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
AdvRat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
BlackDog Cycle Works BDCW
Sorry DirtJack, I wasn't familiar with the "Pax's 990" term. When you said you had the Pax's 990 and was thinking of switching to the BDCW one. I was reading it as there was another company out there producing sidestand relocators. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
run8nova
Epic Rider

Oddometer: 36
I just installed a BDCW on my 990 and don't believe it is that strong made out of aluminum and when installed as designed it gets rid of 2 bolts. Yes it is the 2 that were in engine case, but now there are only 2 left for weight of bike. I'm leaving it on with 2 bolts that are longer into case account of BDCW bracket thickness and hopefully it will improve overall strength. I did just buy a BDCW skid plate to try and protect it from a direct hit.
Epic Ride JN. 10:10
09 KTM Adventure 'R'
92 XR600
75 250 Maico gone, but not forgotten
175 Bultaco gone
67 Nova-LS1
run8nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRat View Post
Sorry DirtJack, I wasn't familiar with the "Pax's 990" term. When you said you had the Pax's 990 and was thinking of switching to the BDCW one. I was reading it as there was another company out there producing sidestand relocators. Thanks.

I know Jack, I think he meant he now owns Pax's old BIKE, the 990, which came with a PA relocator on it, and he's now thinking of switching to the Black Dog.

Right Jack??? Jack, You just need to get some fresh knobbies on there, then the bike angle will be just right!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote