User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #76
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Somewhere along the way?

I'm not sure where this one was taken at but I might as well add it in here as long as I'm at it. Maybe it'll come to me later? Hmmmm? It might've been north of Payson up along the rim.

Oldone screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 10:27 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #77
GldWngr89
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Enjoyed your report and pictures

Your ride report and beautiful pictures have really encouraged someone here in the snowy and cold northeast. I have visited Sedona and the surrounding area several times. My riding buddy and I have put Oak Creek on our list of must do rides. There is nothing for you to apologize for -- the pictures and descriptions are fantastic!

Thanks from the pick-me-up!

GldWngr89
Also a Grandpa!
GldWngr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #78
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrogue View Post
I'm not sure where this one was taken at but I might as well add it in here as long as I'm at it. Maybe it'll come to me later? Hmmmm? It might've been north of Payson up along the rim.

I live in Payson. This pic looks like the 260 east of Payson going up towards Heber. Your report is well done and thanks for showing our beautiful area. Although not that known, once you come through the Rim Country it will always be ingrained on your memory. Great riding up here.

Mil T
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #79
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldWngr89 View Post
Your ride report and beautiful pictures have really encouraged someone here in the snowy and cold northeast. I have visited Sedona and the surrounding area several times. My riding buddy and I have put Oak Creek on our list of must do rides. There is nothing for you to apologize for -- the pictures and descriptions are fantastic!

Thanks from the pick-me-up!

GldWngr89
Also a Grandpa!
GldWngr89,

Thanks for the great comments on a day when it really made a big difference to me! Be sure to plan for the Oak Creek Canyon as you won't be disappointed. It's a beautiful area and great fun to ride. We had freeze warnings out last night so even had to cover our pipes. Kind of unusual for these parts. Thanks again.

Gary
Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #80
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T View Post
I live in Payson. This pic looks like the 260 east of Payson going up towards Heber. Your report is well done and thanks for showing our beautiful area. Although not that known, once you come through the Rim Country it will always be ingrained on your memory. Great riding up here.

Mil T
Thanks for the comments and info on the photo. I sort of figured that must be where that was taken as my favorite longer ride is from Mesa to Payson and then over to Show Low and back through the Salt River Canyon. It's about a 300 mile loop and great fun with scenic views galore! Thanks again.

Gary
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #81
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Horse Country

Arizona is a great state for horses and horseback riding. The mountain ranges have many trails and some even ride back into the heart of these mountains, pack horses and all, for days or weeks on end.

Oldone screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 10:28 PM
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #82
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Into Devil's Canyon country

After a fun ride through this tunnel, you come out into the beautiful Devil’s Canyon east of Superior. This is another area that is very popular with rock climbing, hiking, four wheeling, and primitive camping.

One of the areas not far from the tunnel where rock climbing is so popular...

Oldone screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 10:30 PM
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #83
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Arizona State Tree

The Palo Verde is designated as the official state tree of Arizona. "Palo Verde" is Spanish for "green stick." Blooming in the spring, they’re beautiful trees found in the desert and the foothills. Palo Verde seeds were a food source for the Pima and Papago Indians of Arizona. The seeds were dried for making mush or cakes. They reach a height of approximately 32 feet and a trunk diameter of 1.5 - 2 feet.

Oldone screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 05:50 PM
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #84
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Palo Verde Tree in Bloom

Well, they're just beginning to bloom, so this space will be used for the photo's that I get showing the different degrees of yellow.....should be soon....maybe even today?........ Later today.....Nope....Not yet! But what a good excuse to go for a ride and search one out!

Still waiting for the full yellow bloom to take place.....turning cooler now though! Maybe next week after it warms up? Much later!!!!!
This took a lot longer then I expected, but they're finally turning to their spring yellows......Most are like this one now but not all.

Photobucket

Oldone screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 04:14 PM
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #85
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Outside The Cave

If you look above the chimney on the house and a bit to the right, you can see the clearing on the side of the mountain not quite half way up the side and the dark opening to the cave. shown below. Sorry for the blurry photo...I had to blow it up.

On one side of the Superstitions is a cave and an old tunnel leading to a dead end. I'm not sure if it once went further and has been blocked off or if that's as far as it goes? Who knows, maybe it's the famous Lost Dutchman Mine! Although it doesn't look like it, the climb up into the cave entrance is hand over hand. You can park your bike at a trailhead about two miles from the cave and hike up there.

Oldone screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 10:00 AM
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #86
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Inside the Cave

The interior is about 80' x 80' x 20' with a shaft that goes back another 40' or so and then ends. Not sure if it's been blocked off?

The tunnel that seems to dead-end but might've been blocked off..... Looking back down the mountain where my son Troy stands....

Photobucket

t

Oldone screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 03:23 PM
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #87
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Another view

Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #88
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I figure that 67 is about when I will be able to take more long rides if the SS system survives. Am inspired to believe I may be able to.

Wife and I made our vows when riding AZ couple of seasons ago.

Thanks for sharing your trip and reminding us how beautiful it is.
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #89
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertynh View Post
I figure that 67 is about when I will be able to take more long rides if the SS system survives. Am inspired to believe I may be able to.

Wife and I made our vows when riding AZ couple of seasons ago.

Thanks for sharing your trip and reminding us how beautiful it is.
Libertynh,

Thanks for your comments.....I tried to send you a PM but don't know if you ever got it? Good luck with your SS and longer rides later on.

Gary (Oldone)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #90
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,245
As a fellow PCer and retiree I thank you for sharing your adventure.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote