User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Day in the Dirt - Cold North Georgia

The ride started with an email from our buddy who lives in North Georgia. "Who wants to come out again and help me mark trails and clear new ones for a dirtbike ride next week?" After having spent some fun times way back in my youth, clearing trails with dull hand tools, on land that we weren't even sure who owned it, this sounded like fun!! - Permission and encouragement to clear trails, plus real gas powered tools! What a blast!!

I wish we had more pics of riding the actual trails and tracks - but I think we were too busy having fun. We created a new section of singletrack appropriately named the "Roller Coaster" and looked forward to sharing it with our other buddies who were coming up for the ride.

Trail Work Day:

"I think we ought to cut back into the woods right down there, take that sharp downhill, then cut hard left!"

Nice canvas on which to create trails!

Over two miles of grass track sections, much of which is old style off camber:

Cool Cabin near the top:

Our buddy is an avid powderhound - porch swing made from vintage ALTA ski lift chair:

Chillin on the porch:

An important part of Trail work day is riding on them.

We finished the work day down by the lake and a beautiful sunset. Off to a Mexican feast with a hard work endorphin buzz.

mikem9 screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 12:28 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post

Now that's a great pic

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
The Ride Day

It was a cold one, but much fun was had by all. Many thanks to DP and his family for hosting us.

The trucks start showing up and unloading. It feels kind of like old rides and races used to feel in the 70's. A lot of old friends showing up, ready for some fun.

One buddy, a loyal Auburn University fan wore his Auburn colored thor pants. He's having a good football year!

The young man on the right is become a heck of a mechanic. May have his own motorcycle "monster garage" one day

This young man can flat ride. We may see him in the magazines one day.

quite a group showed up

Most unload and warm up with few laps around the grass track. And of course, many challenge their old buddies to a race

Then several start lining up for guided tours of the enduro loop

After folks get a lay of the land, they ride a while and come back and shoot the bull by the fire

We are always having good spirited debates about best bike brands. The biggest group currently drinks the orange cool-aide. But on this day there was a new bike in town, and even though we gave the three riders some grief about their matching bikes and cute blue rims, I'll have to say these bikes were very cool.

There aren't many things better than hangin with your buddies after a good ride.

Some of the friendships go way back - the two guys on the left met racing in the 70's.
BTW - the guy in the red jacket's little boy, Russell, is a pretty good dirtbiker himself. :)

We have a saying in our group about the guy in the middle. "Don't Follow DP!" It's kind of a joke but it's also serious. As is the norm, he encouraged a group of riders to follow him to a new riding area a few miles down the road. It started as a steep trail up a far away mountain ridge, but eventually ran out of trail. They had to bushwack for several miles, all with the encouragement from DP. One guy, a former Navy pilot, serioiusly started wondering if he was going to have to use some of the survival training skills he was taught if they got stuck out on this cold night. Those of us back at camp were worried about them because it was getting late and the sun was going down (and more, because a group had decided to follow DP!). Finally, here they came, bruised, several with blood coming from scratches in their faces. They looked very tired, but had big smiles on their faces!!

The day ended with Pizza and beer by the fire, stories of the days adventures, and some from the past. This is what it's all about!

mikem9 screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 12:45 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
nice to see papa smurf out and having some fun!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,038
Looks awesome! And those 'bergs are prolly AWESOME!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Russell can flat make that Orunge Bike Get It for sure
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Looks like a great day on 2 wheels.. Thanks for posting