Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #46
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,439
Artlocks you are far too hard on yourself. For a guy that has not been riding that long and has some physical problems you sure scored higher than that IMHO. I have been riding for 46 years and some of the stuff you rode (I hate sand) on a loaded bike was pretty damn good. Not many guys can pick up a loaded bike. Most have to pull all the stuff off first. I admire your venture especially as you were solo. I am older than you and don't know if I would do what you did as I can't walk very far when I am ok. This was a great RR.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #47
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker View Post
What a ride!

Just one question: this "foldable bed" which can be seen on some of the pics, what's that? Do you use it just for comfort, or is it maybe meant to keep away the scorpions in the desert? Haven't seen a thing like this before!
I used this cot for comfort. The downside of it is that it isn't foldable. It disassembles into many pieces. It adds about 12 minutes to set up then another 12 to take apart and pack. But I got that time back and more when I didn't need the tent. I saw a video of the setup of this thing. Maybe it was on the Luxury Lite website.

Now that you bring it up, when I was out there I never worried about snakes and scorpions. Maybe I was already saturated with worry so couldn't worry about anything else. Next time I will check my boots and gear before I dress.
Artlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #48
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterman View Post
Hey 52 is still young. I'm 57 and just starting to ride a lot again, mostly alone and on more gravel and dirt with my 1150gs. Your bike is really not that heavy compared to "miss piggy" when loaded with 80 lbs of gear.

Recover quickly from the hip surgery and think young and keep riding.

A+++ for the report and the road traveled.
You guys amaze me on some of the places you take those big GSs. You are my heroes. Those things must weigh at least 150# more than the DR.

Maybe the weight doesn't really matter for me because what's the difference between 10 feet or 20 feet of water if you can't swim .
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #49
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider View Post
Great RR, and you should give yourself a higher grade. Being scared is normal, but you rode through your fear which shows significant courage. I do not know how much pain your hip gave you, but mine use to hurt a lot. After my hip was replaced sweet comfort was had. I pray you enjoy the same relief that I did.
DesertRider, did you have the total hip replacement or the hip resurfacing? How has it affected your riding? Are you still riding offroad?

I have heard that you can't lift anything heavy anymore after hip replacement. I am wondering if that will prevent me from standing my bike back up.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #50
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Great ride report! I agree with the others that you're too hard on yourself. Too many folks leave out the "human" moments of their rides (i.e., the multitude of errors/near errors). Either that or the rest of us screw up too much.

A+ on the final report.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #51
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 405
Artlocks,

Thanks for another well written and pictorially excellent RR!

Your Philippines RR provided a huge dose of inspiration for me to ride on Luzon this winter. Especially since we're almost the same age and that I only learned to ride at 51 and also ride a DR650. Would there be too many coincidences if I mention that I also rode through northern AZ and central Utah on my DR about a year ago?

I don't have most of the health issues that you do and there is no way that I would have wanted to attempt the worst of the steep, rocky sections that you successfully rode on your DR. Keep on keeping on!
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #52
squaredncubed
So far so good

Oddometer: 9
What kind of cot were you using?

An epic trip by the way and great photos and narrative. A first class job.

I noticed a small folding cot in your photos. I've never seen anything like it an I am also getting to old to sleep on rocks anymore. Can you tell me a bit about it?

Thanks
Paul from Colorado
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #53
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 964
Great RR, thanks for sharing. You should definitely do Africa or South America. Can't wait for the report.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #54
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Great RR! Thanks for sharing.

I missed it the first time around, so thanks to Rackemcrackem for bumping it.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #55
bongr
Midwest Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I enjoyed your RR. It was well written, very engaging and a good variety of photos. Like you, I started riding later in life and took my first solo "Adventure" last year at 60. Wish you well during your recovery and look forward to reading about more of your Adventures!
bongr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #56
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I do see one big problem with your bike. Where's the ADV sticker? No ADV sticker is unforgivable. I even have one on my Harley Sportster and yes, I do take it off road.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #57
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,375

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #58
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I'm so glad that someone on here actually admits to changing the oil and not putting the drain plug back in! This is exactly what happened to me when I did my first oil change on my old bike ('78 Suzuki GS550E).... I've enjoyed your ride report a lot. Keep on riding!
Cariboostrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
ranadrew

Oddometer: n/a
3rd party assessment

Gritty, capable, understated, organized, willing, daring and humble. I give you a straight up A. Photography is excellent, story telling is excellent, overall author appeal is outstanding. While these solo pursuits are an important part of our self-forging process, I do offer that you, my good Sir, are depriving someone somewhere of a great riding partner and traveling companion.

Endeavor well pursued, story well conveyed. I would expect nothing less from a fellow Lumberjack.

If you are ever adventuring in the PacNW, rest assured you have a landing pad in the Everett WA area... so long as you get along alright with kids and 4-legged retrievers.

Drew Thorne
NAU B.S.M.E. 1984
Tinsley Hall
Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #60
Ribsauce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Great ride report. Cool you are from the same city as me, now my friend and I know what we can do!
Ribsauce is offline   Reply With Quote