User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #16
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,299
Everybody's different but here's how I learned:

If possible get a smaller bike like an XR100, and in first gear pull the front up while keeping your feet on the ground, then drag your feet behind you so they act kind of like outriggers and the other two legs of a tripod. This is easiest to do on an uphill. Just go real slow <5 MPH and get comfortable with being at the balance point and keeping it there with the throttle. At this speed the worst thing that can happen is you loop it in which case you just hold the bars and put it back down. I mean you are standing after all. After a while you'll have less and less weight on your feet (outriggers) and you'll be able to scoot up the street at say 10 MPH just skimming your feet.

Moving to your XR600 which is a great wheelie machine by the way, start in first gear and load and unload the front wheel by blipping and cutting the throttle in a rythmic rocking and bouncing motion. Make sure the bike is in the powerband. You should be going about 10 MPH and your goal is just to bounce the front tire up a bit at a time and learn where the meat of the powerband is. Try 1 bounce, 2 bounces and then on three really gas it and bring the wheel up. Now do this about 200 times and each time you'll be going a bit further. Again this is easiest when traveling uphill.

When you can ride a wheelie for a little while, say until you rev out in first, (you are not really at the balance point if you are revving out but that's OK you're getting there) try doing the blip thing again except in 2nd gear traveling at about 20 MPH or so. You'll know the speed because you'll have to get the bike in the powerband again. Same technique as above. Just keep practicing and working your self higher and higher and farther and farther. Repeat 200 times.

On the faster wheelies it is a good idea to keep your foot on the rear brake but just cutting the throttle will bring you down pretty good because of 4 stroke engine braking. Some guys use the front brake to bring the front down (a gyro thing), some feather or pull in the clutch to bring the front down. 3rd and 4th gear wheelies are now my favorite and they are far easier than 1-2 gear wheelies. I can bring the front up on my 525 at 60 MPH in 4th gear very easily with throttle only and a little tug.

FWIW - I am in the sit down and back camp, I can't wheelie standing up or while up near my tank for any length of time. And, the balance point is way further back than you think it is.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
XRsLug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
If the rear brake is covered, the bike can (in theory) be scraping its rear fender and be brought back down. There is an amazing video of Max Biaggi pulling a wheelie across the finish line on his old 500 GP bike and hitting the powerband unexpectedly. If you were looking at him from the side, his front wheel would have been at about 1:30 on a clock face. He hits the back brake, and down it comes, disaster (in this case, looping a multi-million dollar bike ) averted.

-Kelefa Sanneh
XRsLug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #18
cbob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Standing on the passenger pegs helps, but is cheating.

Same for adjusting out all the rebound damping on the front end - Boing!

Definitely start on uphills - it's easier to bring it up because the bike attitude is already in a wheelie and down is easier because the bike decellerates faster. This is the place to learn.

And lastly (and most sadly), keep your wheelies out of general public view - positive or negative, we have an image to present.

practice, practice, practice

- c

to benefit the Dream House for Medically Fragile Children
www.dreamhouseforkids.org
cbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #19
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbob

And lastly (and most sadly), keep your wheelies out of general public view - positive or negative, we have an image to present.

- c
I completely agree having already seen national headline news regarding stunt bikers. I just think that it would be nice to know the bike you are ridding.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner
Clavicle broke in 5 spots.
Here ya go...
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #21
BIG SHIRL
Banned

Oddometer: 187

Whatever scare when ya can
BIG SHIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #22
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,430
For BMW twin riders, you have to be aware of the gyroscopic effect of the crank and flywheel. They tend to lean to the right. Same when jumping them.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Some can state my bike (510 SMR) as a wheelie machine, but i dont even have to avoid lifting the front, as it wont happend unless on purpose, or ad minima.

Only sometimes useful offroad ... but on streets, beside being dumb and dangerous, it will stress your engine, clutch, trans and square/wear your tires uselessly.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #24
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,535
Buy a KX500. Wheelies anytime anywhere any gear.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Buy a KX500. Wheelies anytime anywhere any gear.
With a little throttle managment in the 3 first gears and (normally instinctive) forward leaning, I'm sure there's no problem to keep your front wheel on the ground

L
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
With a little throttle managment in the 3 first gears and (normally instinctive) forward leaning, I'm sure there's no problem to keep your front wheel on the ground

L
Where's the fun in that?
Actually in the first 3 gears even leaning forward doesn't do much
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
Do it when riding a friend's DL1000, thinking you're in 2nd when you're really in 1st, while going downhill on a winding mountain road and passing a bus. It might wake up your passenger when the front wheel comes down, though.
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Actually in the first 3 gears even leaning forward doesn't do much
Yes ... but the "fun" here is I now tend to avoid wheeling with a hi-perf, powered-up, geared-down bike that can do it easyly.
As she's tires-eater and high-maintenance bike, I dont wand to add more on the bill, as i said before. And also, after a few crashes I'm becoming wiser ...

Instead, when I was on a 125cc, I've spent hours on the rear wheel

L
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #29
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Yes ... but the "fun" here is I now tend to avoid wheeling with a hi-perf, powered-up, geared-down bike that can do it easyly.
L
I don't understand what it is you're trying to say here.

My KX has a FMF pipe, Boyesen power reeds blah blah blah, I ride it to save my sanity, not my money Also it has the smallest sprocket I could find on the rear to try and tame it, all that did was make it hard to ride slow.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 610
When I had my first bike, a 67 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 I would wheelie it. Course, I was 15 at the time.

Now, fast forward 40 years, and I want to learn how to wheelie all over again since I have not done it on any of my bikes since 74. I have a DRZ400E dirt bike and a XL600 soon to be retro-motard. Either one should easily wheelie but I think the DRZ is the candidate.

I also have an 81 XR200 project bike but it's nowhere near running yet.

55 years old and I still wanna learn to wheelie. Next is learning to do feet up power slides on dirt and ice. Heh heh.