ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
If you can DIY service, then I would recommend the Tiger 800 sight unseen. The Tiger 1050 was the easiest bike to work on I ever owned, not that it needed anything.
Plus One on the Tiger 800 ... but not my first choice for a noob RTW rider. I say put him on a Vstrom and let him get over his hang up on looks! And suffer down at the cafe' ... cause that's probably as far as he'll get anyway. Everyone knows the only way to go is on a dual sport single. He needs to go hear Austin Vince's rants for a reality check.

1050 Tiger?
Have you done a valve adjustment on your 1050? I have not ... but it looks like a bit of a chore. Any tips on doing a DIY on that job? I've only done basic oil change/tires/ service on mine.

I did pull out the rear stainless brake line ... it was a B I T C H ... to get at to change out due to ABS accumulator and other ABS steel lines ... lack of access a concern.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
davidji
bike curious
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: california
Oddometer: 990
Can the bike be push-started?

If the battery is dead, can the bike be bump-started? That seems like a desireable feature in remote places. A lot of modern bikes will not push-start with a dead battery. It may be hard to find out in advance which will and which won't.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
If the battery is dead, can the bike be bump-started? That seems like a desireable feature in remote places. A lot of modern bikes will not push-start with a dead battery. It may be hard to find out in advance which will and which won't.
My guess is any bike with injection will fail, you need the pressure of an feulpump, so it will be pushing quite a wile to get the generator push enough to compress the fuel
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Have you done a valve adjustment on your 1050? I have not ... but it looks like a bit of a chore. Any tips on doing a DIY on that job? I've only done basic oil change/tires/ service on mine.

I did pull out the rear stainless brake line ... it was a B I T C H ... to get at to change out due to ABS accumulator and other ABS steel lines ... lack of access a concern.
I checked the valves, didn't need adjustment at 20,000+. The valve cover was a bit of a puzzle to get out of the frame (tight fit).

Didn't have ABS. Less stuff the better! Didn't have none of that stuff on my MX bike in the 70's. LOL.
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w plated
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 571
'07 klr

Buy an '07 KLR. You can get it fixed anywhere...simple...dependable.
If you do not want one...then find a good used v-strom 650. They are like having an "ugly" kid. You learn to love it!
__________________
Mr. Pete---->
aging hippie
mrpete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #21
axelwik
Yep
 
axelwik's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisthemenace View Post
Thanks both for the feedback. The V-Strom is somewhat tempting, were it not for it looking quite ugly to me.

The Deauville appeals a lot, but yes, ground clearance is an issue.
The V-Strom looks will grow on you. It's a great bike.
__________________
900ss, WR450F, ST4s, Royal Enfield Bullet

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B View Post
My guess is any bike with injection will fail, you need the pressure of an feulpump, so it will be pushing quite a wile to get the generator push enough to compress the fuel
I can, if I'm lucky, push start my 1000 V-Strom. Preferably on a hill, or with a helper. But any problems I have I think are more to do with generating enough inertia to kick over the big Vee, rather than a problem with fuel injection.

650 Wee should be easier, but I never tried it while I had one.

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
If the battery is dead, can the bike be bump-started? That seems like a desireable feature in remote places. A lot of modern bikes will not push-start with a dead battery. It may be hard to find out in advance which will and which won't.
I had two Vstroms and bump started them from time to time ... but I had battery power. From what I recall, it takes very little juice to get head pressure at the fuel pump. And once you spin the motor a bit, it creates (stator) enough current to power ignition. Once running you should be OK.

But you bring up a good point. That is the pure simplicity of dual sports singles I mentioned earlier. I wouldn't take any KTM single anywhere ... or a BMW for that matter. But that's just me ... I like toughness and value and the ability to take abuse and survive in all conditions.

I've owned and ridden most all the Japanese singles ... and yes, they can be bump started on a dead battery. But if you've done your prep and know your stuff, most times you will not end up with a dead battery in the first place. But I understand, shit does happen.

Most singles dual sports relatively small batts with low Amp Hour ratings. On tour I carry the Battery Tender Waterproof. It's small and easy to carry. On my DR650, I change out the battery every couple years ... no matter what. Never had a problem.

In fact I've not had electrical problems with my DR650 in 34,000 miles, or on my previous KLR's, XR650-L , DRZ400 or DR350, just to name a few.

I am serious about looking up Austin Vince. His Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa films are the best intro into Adventure travel I've ever seen. His talks and slide shows are fantastic, funny and really down to earth. Nobody better, IMHO. Some may remember Vince and his gang riding their DR350 Suzuki's across EU, Russia, Mongolia and beyond. Its all on film ... very fun stuff and quite inspirational. Five Star rating. If I was going ... this would be my first stop.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Old London Town
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
You named the Dullville, sorry, Deauville. Take away the short suspension and the vulnerable plastic, and what do you get? A Transalp or Africa Twin. If 2up is important, go for the Africa Twin. Tackle the known issues before you take off and it will get you anywere and back.

Lots of info here and on xrv.org.
Downside: if you're located in the US, it might be difficult to find one.
The pillion accommodation is atrocious on any Africa Twin, even with after-market seat. Too short. 600 or 650 Transalp is good and the latter is easily a match for the AT on anything short of proper off-roading and able to do that if needed.
Suzuki Freewind is expensive if found in good condition.
I like elnota's reasoning although I'd want something a bit more trustworthy (note not saying reliable) than an old Super Tenere.
My vote would go to a 650 Transalp or, if buying new, 660 Tenere. These are frankly superb; very frugal, good suspenders, unbelievable range, plenty of accessories. But poor seat as standard.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I can, if I'm lucky, push start my 1000 V-Strom. Preferably on a hill, or with a helper. But any problems I have I think are more to do with generating enough inertia to kick over the big Vee, rather than a problem with fuel injection.

650 Wee should be easier, but I never tried it while I had one.

Trevor
but the battery has to be at least a little alive I have found.

Trying to get that motor to turn over requires a hill for me. But the bike is not as hard to push as I thought it might be.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #26
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 316
Two up,you say? My wife rode on the back of my 06' GS for 4 years on a LOT of dirt. Worked great. Ordered a Tenere(tired of the unreliable GS).We both sat on one at the Seattle Moto Show last week. She liked it BETTER than the GS. Gonna love that Yammy, looks like. We tried about every dual sport we could for 2 up riding. GS was only one that seemed to work--why we bought it(I don't like BMWs). The Yammy looks at LEAST it's eqaul in that respect.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
but the battery has to be at least a little alive I have found.

Trying to get that motor to turn over requires a hill for me. But the bike is not as hard to push as I thought it might be.

Cheers
Graham
Looking forward (not!) to trying it on the Super Tenere! Although I suspect it won't be any easier or more difficult than the Vee.

BTW, I managed to flatten the Vee battery last weekend. Was adjusting the throttle position sensor, which meant quite a few starts and a lot of idling in between. At the same time, my heated grips were on HIGH and I didn't realise it. Finished the job without a problem but later in the day I went to start, and she would not cooperate. Since i was at home, and feeling lazy, I just put her on the battery charger for an hour rather than attempt to push start.

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #28
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Looking forward (not!) to trying it on the Super Tenere! Although I suspect it won't be any easier or more difficult than the Vee.

BTW, I managed to flatten the Vee battery last weekend. Was adjusting the throttle position sensor, which meant quite a few starts and a lot of idling in between. At the same time, my heated grips were on HIGH and I didn't realise it. Finished the job without a problem but later in the day I went to start, and she would not cooperate. Since i was at home, and feeling lazy, I just put her on the battery charger for an hour rather than attempt to push start.

Trevor
Next time you do that ... reach up and unplug both your headlights. Easily done on the Vstrom. (and turn off your grips ... but they only draw about 30 watts) The only time you'll run into serious problems bump starting is off road. Especially sand. Don't even waste your energy if in a level sand wash. Tow Rope. (I always carry one for my BMW riding buddies! TRUE! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #29
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
Two up,you say? My wife rode on the back of my 06' GS for 4 years on a LOT of dirt. Worked great. Ordered a Tenere(tired of the unreliable GS).We both sat on one at the Seattle Moto Show last week. She liked it BETTER than the GS. Gonna love that Yammy, looks like. We tried about every dual sport we could for 2 up riding. GS was only one that seemed to work--why we bought it(I don't like BMWs). The Yammy looks at LEAST it's eqaul in that respect.
Reports from the EU verify your speculation. Should be fab two up. And good bags and comfort to go with it. Word is the Ten is better off road than the R1200GS, but not quite it's equal On road. Love to hear your opinion when you finally get one. And please, put it on a scale when full of gas. Lets see what if really weighs.

Now, what topic was this?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #30
denisthemenace OP
denis the menace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: London UK
Oddometer: 13
Thanks everyone for those. I perfectly understand the notion that looks don't matter much, and am trying to get in into my head.

KLRs and other obviously off-road-oriented bikes might have great ground clearance but I don't fancy - although admittedly I haven't tried - doing lots of touring on them.
denisthemenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014