Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #46
denisthemenace OP
denis the menace

Oddometer: 13
Wicked

Kids please, take it outside.

As far as I'm concerned, feeling good about one's bike is the one important thing. If I was happy touring on my Vanvan I'd do it and say it loud.

If a guy is happy doing whatever with his V-Strom good for him.

If another guy thinks the V-Strom is not good at everything good for him too.

But why oh why should everybody agree on everything? And why oh why should discussing bikes lead to insults? Reminds me of the Canon-Nikon user war. Funny old world innit!
denisthemenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #47
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
Dick status? Nice. And I'm the one accused of being insulting. As for clueless because I don't agree with someone who is obviously wrong... interesting perspective. I could pick holes in these "arguments" all day but suffice it to say a Vstrom is not a go-anywhere bike. It's a lump. It's a better bet than some of your other choices but it's not right for you.
Don't believe me. Go and try one. Take it offroad... not California on flat straight fire-roads. Take it in mud and snow and over rocks and hills like a true adventurer and you'll see my point.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #48
denisthemenace OP
denis the menace

Oddometer: 13
Talking

Hi,

that's fine, I can understand a particular bike might not be able to go anywhere.

But first I'm not looking for a strongly-biased off-road bike, just one that can tackle some crappy roads if need be.

Second in my travels I saw people do almost anything with the worse bikes ever. So if push comes to shove I believe anything can be done with a V-Strom. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll be thrilling but it could be done. It's all down to perspective I guess.

Please don't take my words the wrong way, I'm not here to start getting up people's noses. In a way there's always a better bike somewhere, so the one we have is bound not to be the perfect one. But as long as we enjoy it?

Maybe that's why I like to insist that what I say is relative to ME, and I'm not saying things in an absolute way, as if I knew what was best for everyone.

Best regards, and peace,

Denis the menace
denisthemenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #49
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
Dick status? Nice. And I'm the one accused of being insulting. As for clueless because I don't agree with someone who is obviously wrong... interesting perspective. I could pick holes in these "arguments" all day but suffice it to say a Vstrom is not a go-anywhere bike. It's a lump. It's a better bet than some of your other choices but it's not right for you.
Don't believe me. Go and try one. Take it offroad... not California on flat straight fire-roads. Take it in mud and snow and over rocks and hills like a true adventurer and you'll see my point.
Well.... I have taken a DL650 over all the suggested surfaces. Without a bash plate no less. Never had an issue with the performance of the bike. Went anywhere I pointed it including through mud, over rocks. through snow and over stupid hills. Never let me down. Never complained. Not once.
Have you taken a DL any of the places you say it cant go? I doubt it or the opinion would be different and someone else is "obviously wrong"?? That is just funny! Might be time to get off the pedestal you have put yourself on before you fall off and hurt your precious ego.
I have to agree that you are clueless when it comes to what the DL650 will do and is capable of. Is it a TW200? no of course not. but I would not want to be stuck on a dirt bike for any length of time either.
I don't care that you think it is a bloated whale. That does not detract from the abilities of the bike.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #50
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
The V-strom is no adventure bike. It's a lard-arsed whale built for overweight loads to wallow about on. They have as much adventure spirit as a tax return form.
May be so, but on the other hand, "adventure" is much more about the rider, than it is about the bike.

People have done RTW-tours with R1s, Golwdings, Burgmans, Vespas, you name it... and the V-Strom is at least as capable of doing it than any of those.

But I dont have a problem, if someone doesnt like it, and I know there are areas, where it is pretty far from perfect. For me, its the total package that counts, and suits my needs, my wallet, and my riding. Others may have other preferences.

So there is no one "perfect adventure bike", it is different things to different people.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #51
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisthemenace View Post
But first I'm not looking for a strongly-biased off-road bike, just one that can tackle some crappy roads if need be.

Second in my travels I saw people do almost anything with the worse bikes ever. So if push comes to shove I believe anything can be done with a V-Strom. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll be thrilling but it could be done. It's all down to perspective I guess.
Id say the V-Strom does fit that bill pretty well, even though it is not your only option. As I said before, 2-up is where it also shines, but I dont know how much youre going to do that.

And yes, getting through bad places is (again) much more about the rider, than it is about the bike.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #52
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
So now it boils down to... what are your chances of snaring a lady who finds long motorcycle trips to her taste? I'm afraid it's beyond the expertise of most on this forum to help you with that calculation! Hell, we have enough trouble getting that scenario worked out for ourselves!!

If you think your chances are good, get a twin. Even if it turns out you're overconfident and no woman will get on the back of your bike, you still won't regret the extra power and carrying capacity...

My guess is most of the responses are coming from the US, where Transalps are rare. From what I've read they are reliable but heavy and underpowered.

Trevor
I did suggest the 'Alp in an earlier post... 'cos they are fine bikes. I've had a 600 and a 650 as will as a 650 Africa Twin. The 650 Alp was a much better bike than the AT except in suspension performance offroad. I rode the 600 in the Cambrian Rally a few years ago and had a bit of a tear up during one of the timed sections with a guy on a DRZ400. On fire road I could easily pass at 70mph although this was quickly reversed once things got tight. Underpowered? I rode it 2-up with a mate, combined weight 200kg inc gear, London to Shropshire at over a ton all the way up the M40. Fuel consumption suffered - these aren't the most economical engines - but an Alp will go all day flat out. Weight is about 200kg, not bad for a trail twin. There are loads being ridden all over Europe...
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #53
cdo1uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
V strom 650............. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

come on really... a 650 that weighs the same as a 1000. Off road biased bike with the ability to go most places i would have to sugest a BMW 650 Dakar
cdo1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #54
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo1uk View Post
V strom 650............. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

come on really... a 650 that weighs the same as a 1000. Off road biased bike with the ability to go most places i would have to sugest a BMW 650 Dakar

And that would be as good a recommendation as any - except... if you read the OP there's nothing about "off-road bias", but there IS a requirement for carrying a pillion.

So what you're looking at is a bike that is competant on a variety of roads (but not "no roads"), and can carry a passenger, at the same time being reliable, comfortable and economical. That's a description if a 650 V-Strom. There are others too - Transalp would be one, the F650 twin might be another. Factor in the price and see what's left...

Trevor
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #55
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Need points ignition.

For the old wrench in Tymbucto you have better chance of getting back on road with points ignition. Pack a flywheel puller, plugs, points and condenser. Replace all phillips screws with allen head before you leave. The 70s Yamaha dual sport XT600 with big tank and all bike protection would do job.

Otherwise get the DL650 Vstrom as best modern selection and pack spare ECU. Do yourself a big favor and scratch from list KLR650, NT700V Deauville, and anything with post 1980 German heritage. Tiger 800 might just be great selection but would be too risky for me.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #56
cdo1uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
i have to say, i have never seen a DL650 vstrom from the states... we in the UK get a bike called the DL650 vstrom and these are useless bikes, heavy underpowered lardy fat lumps that rot before your very eyes. I would rather ride a chopper off road. arent they just road bikes with high handle bars
cdo1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #57
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
get the DL650 Vstrom as best modern selection and pack spare ECU.
After +75000kms on my first DL650, around 30000 on my 2nd, (and before these, +60000kms on my SV650), I fail to see, why youd need to pack a spare ECU. They very seldom fail, even in tougher conditions. And even if such miracle happened, they are small & lightweight, so you could have a spare sent to you anywhere.

(Not referring to any particular post)... but there seems to be a fair amount of strongly voiced opinions about the DL650 coming from riders with very little or no personal experience of the bike.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 11:05 AM
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #58
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo1uk View Post
i have to say, i have never seen a DL650 vstrom from the states... we in the UK get a bike called the DL650 vstrom and these are useless bikes, heavy underpowered lardy fat lumps that rot before your very eyes. I would rather ride a chopper off road. arent they just road bikes with high handle bars
Hey mate, they let you get drunk at work and fuck off on the net on the bosses time? I've emailed them to check up on you ... just to make sure you're OK.

Go back and read post #38. It's all there, then read up on the grim reliability reports of the F650 BMW's, especially from around 1998 to about 2006. And speaking of heavy! The F650 is the true PIG in class, 60 lbs. heavier than a DR650 Suzuki, heaviest of Any 650 class dual sport single.

Trust me mate, you've no credibility here regards trying to piss on the Vstrom. Its reputation is very well established. Since it's obvious you've never ridden either Vstrom, its clear you're talking out yo ass.
There are already hundreds of thousands of posts and ride reports praising it all over ADV rider ... been that way for ten years.

You are an obvious ignoramus like your other Brit buddy here. Bike sales twits wouldn't know adventure riding if it bit you in the ass. You live in a closed fucking country after all with a few stinkin' muddy green lanes run by the Horsey crowd, and even those are being shut to bikes. YES ... I've ridden there. We've got riding areas you could fit two England's into. Wide open with a huge variety of terrain you can only dream of.
And then of course ... there's Mexico.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #59
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 417
Transalp 600 , for the reliability and simpicity or Africa Twin RD04 both are proven to be absolutely bullet proof million times and thats what I would need especially in the middle of nowhere .
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #60
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Hey Turtle,..why do you say "do yourself big favor/scratch" the klr ? Not trying to start a debate, just want to hear your points. Is it for not being 2-up friendly ? or just general against-ness ?

cheers

Ps. this thread went from a guy asking advice to a shouting match. How long did it take to type that many ha ha ha's ?. Just help the OP here will you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
For the old wrench in Tymbucto you have better chance of getting back on road with points ignition. Pack a flywheel puller, plugs, points and condenser. Replace all phillips screws with allen head before you leave. The 70s Yamaha dual sport XT600 with big tank and all bike protection would do job.

Otherwise get the DL650 Vstrom as best modern selection and pack spare ECU. Do yourself a big favor and scratch from list KLR650, NT700V Deauville, and anything with post 1980 German heritage. Tiger 800 might just be great selection but would be too risky for me.
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote