Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #76
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnota View Post

back to the op, for a new rider who currently rides a vanvan125,
Ah I think I see the problem - those of us in the US have no clue what a vanvan is. I was thinking this;

when really it's this;

Actually it turns out they are available in the US, but I've never seen one. Much like the Yamaha TW 200, there's a few of those around.

dennisthemenace, I think graduating from one of these to a fully loaded Strom is a bit of a leap. I wouldn't say don't or you can't do it, only you can judge your skill and confidence level, but I'd say consider getting some experience on a bigger bike before you decide what's right for your trip. Maybe try to get one of the 650 singles now, and by the time you are ready to do the trip you'll know whether it will work for you, or if you need a bigger twin you'll have the experience on a bigger bike and will be able to upgrade without a problem.

Trevor
Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #77
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Cheers Elnota!
I like your idea of buying a small bike locally. More and more RTW travelers are doing just that. You don't need a big bike to see the world. I toured Baja in the 60's on a Honda 50 and later on a CL175 Honda dual sport. Also toured Cent. America on a Jawa 350 two stroke and have ridden all over Thailand on rental 125cc Hondas ... and Cambodia too (on step through Honda 90's)

Here are a few more pics of some Vstroms on the road. Bloated Whale? They are lighter and ride better off road than a R1200GS (half the price).
With crash guards and bash plates they crash pretty well. Not a dirt bike, no question, but fine of even rough dirt roads.

Vstrom meet up in Germany. Over 200 Vstroms I'm told. Those Krauts know value and performance. They bought Suzuki instead of BMW. Now why is that?

Vstrom in Baja ... on street tires and no bash plate. 5000 miles in Baja and Mainland Mexico, this trip just one of three major rides into Mexico.

Copper Canyon

Vstrom's in the Sierra Nevada. Rocky, steep fire roads not a problem even on street tires, but with TKC80 tires much easier.

Copper Canyon ... Funny, we made better time than the kLR.

Dirty and beaten on ... but not broken. Lost two days in the Sierra Tarahumaru. Made it out.

My buddy and his new GS. He liked my Vstrom but is a Beemer guy in his heart. He bought an extended warranty (based on my advice) So far, two final drives, two broken panniers and a failed Stator and ABS trouble. That Vstrom is an '02, now has over 100,000 miles hard miles. One link bearing needed replacing. Not one other problem.
Boy, do I feel your BMW pal's pain. Had a new 06' 1200 GS. Lottsa trouble.Money too. Cound not trust the thing. My pal has a Vstrom(650....or 600,I forget). Like all the Suzuki road & dirt bikes I've owned, you just start the damn thing & let'r rip & forgettabout it.Enjoy the scenery & the rocks. I have a Yamaha Tenere on order. BOY! Do I feel BETTER. Smaller bike would be great but I ride 2 up a lot on backroads.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #78
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisthemenace View Post
Thanks both for the feedback. The V-Strom is somewhat tempting, were it not for it looking quite ugly to me.

The Deauville appeals a lot, but yes, ground clearance is an issue.
All of these motorcycles are ugly, but therein lies the beauty and the lust.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #79
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
All of these motorcycles are ugly, but therein lies the beauty and the lust.
Absolutely. Dual sports ARE ugly. Suits me just fine---means my bike & me hava LOT in common. Ordered a Yamaha Tenere.Sat on one at the Seattle show a week ago. Boy, is that bike UGLY ! Gonna love it soooo. It'll keep me & the wife far back in the backcountry,far from the growing hordes of chromosexuals who's lust for notice keeps'em profilin down da boo-lee-vards whilst blastin out eardrums with that megatonne roar. Got ridda my GS1200.Damn thing was ugly enough , but it was broke a lot too. Hated that blue & white BMW emblem . Some elk or bear probly mistook me for a stinkie yuppy. No more they won't. Ugly is GOOD !
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #80
Wesman
C & R Deer Hunter

Oddometer: 601
If it works in India it can work anywhere!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #81
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
You boys still pushing your V-stroms? Now you're comparing them to a 1200 and are proud it's lighter. It's faster than a KLR? None of these pictures have a Strom on anything other than a straight gravel track. I'm not denying it can handle that, my issue is that it's not capable of much more. What we have here is a lot of people trying to justify their purchase of a strom to a guy probably needs something better.
I hope you can read between the lines. If you really need an all-round bike capable of going wherever then make an informed choice and don't listen too much to the stories of people overjoyed by their fully-faired tourer. The strom is only any good if you don't need more than gravel tracks and fire-road access. If you're thinking of a bit more than that then these people are steering you wrong.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #82
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Well... the op is going to have to decide who is on the up and up for them self, listen to someone who has never ridden one or listen to people who have. Perhaps take a look around this site and stromtroopers and then perhaps ride one so they are able to make an intelligent, informed decision. Perhaps they will choose the DL and perhaps not.

I just find it amusing when someone slags a bike that they have never ridden.
Especially when they point out "flaws" that are so far from reality it is embarrassing.

Btw... if you want to see pic's of DL's riding in places they can't go... feel free to search through some of my posts back a ways when I still had mine. I am not going to tie up any more bandwith with re-posting pic's to try to educate an uninformed but opinionated poster.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #83
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
+1
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #84
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
I just find it amusing when someone slags a bike that they have never ridden.
Especially when they point out "flaws" that are so far from reality it is embarrassing.
Exactly. This clown has obviously has never left England on a bike and has no idea what my pics (and yours) represent. Does he think a Helicopter planted the Vstrom in those Mexico locations? We rode the Fuckers there Mate and it wasn't easy! Way beyond a simple fire road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #85
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,082
A Verysys might work. Pretty good ground clearance. Maybe a V-Strom 650.
A GS800 would rock. Also the KLR-650 is a reliable mule that's carburated.
DL-650 is even simpler. Bottom line is just get a bike and go for it
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #86
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
If it works in India it can work anywhere!
Yeah, Id say it CAN work anywhere, BUT outside of India (& possibly Nepal), youll need to be able to keep it running more or less by yourself. It is simple technology, so being a DIY-mechanic is definitely possible. But it represents old technology, so it needs more looking after than fully modern bikes, too.

Ive ridden in India with an Enfield, and a few years later with my Jap bike. A lot of people asked me on that later trip, why Im not doing it on an Enfield. Well, it was a part of a bigger trip.... and the Jap bike was about 100 times better for those roads, and the traffic, and 2-up+luggage, not forgetting that it had already gone from Europe to there without a single technical trouble, whereas to the Enfield you needed to do something almost daily - but I kept that last part to myself, not to insult anyone !!!)

Not denying the Enfield has a lot of feeling, and I actually liked riding them, too. But from a technical (as well as comfort) point of view, would be an easy decision, which of those 2 bikes Id choose, if going there again. Even if the ride would be only inside India. And I think many of those who said "you should do it on an Enfield" had probably not done it with one themselves!
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #87
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
More really uninformed opinions of Strom riders proving my point. I'm not sure why these zealots are so angry at someone not liking their bikes but I can only conclude that there are serious issues with them. The Strom is a wide-appeal machine designed to attract the uninformed. Exactly the group you would expect to behave in this way. Fiercely territorial and supportive of their "choice" which was probably made for financial reasons or to copy the actions of a friend rather than an in informed way, ie by carefully thinking through the needs and applications of the bike and rider.
Anyone looking for a true adventure bike will see straight away that these do not fit the very definition except in a purely marketing sense any more than the new Super Tenere or Honda crossover offerings.
Please by all means carry on pushing your choice on others which is precisely the way a zealot behaves and is a severe mental shortcoming. I'm glad you're happy with your bikes but it's not for me and frankly, it's not the right answer to the proposed question.
I hope the OP is capable of seeing through the cliched american pompous arrogance and posturing and see what is going on here which is a bunch of people who have settled for a middle of the road bike not ideal for them.
I don't like Japanese bikes and I don't like the V-strom. I have owned a hell of a lot and find them (for the most part) souless mass produced products designed to plug gaps in the market. They rarely innovate, they immitate and occasionally they mix parts into something which kind of works to cross genres like sticking the V-engine into a touring frame. BMW, Triumph and KTM are built differently.
I expect more flaming but the truth is the truth. The Strom doesn't look like an adventure bike for a good reason. It isn't. If the OP faces the real possibility of winding up anywhere then he needs something a bit better. As for the presumptions about me which are incorrect and baseless I refer you again to the cliched american attitude which is why you viewed as a nation of loud buffoons who have nothing to say but insist on saying it loudly. Case in point.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #88
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Can we please ignore the above idiot, maybe he'll go away. Obviously he's never going to comprehend that the Stroms have a loyal following FOR A REASON. And here's a tip - it's not because they a trendy or good looking!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #89
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Can we please ignore the above idiot, maybe he'll go away.
Words of wisdom, though I saw a certain entertainment value in it, when someones working his ass off to wrestle here _THE_ABSOLUTE_TRUTH_ about bikes, that the said person has never ridden! Now that there is a real expert.

Was hoping hed seen like a couple DVDs about world travel on a motorcycle, too, and could educate us on that subject as well
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #90
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I think this guy made it pretty far on his Strom http://travellingstrom.com/
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote