Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #91
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Lets just see where the Stroms limit may be eh.

Anything worse than the above, you may want to get something smaller.

Yes it is not perfect anywhere, and may require a bit slower pace than a KTM or Super Tenere through the rough stuff, but it is great value and a reliable mount. Has a great ride time to garage time ratio and grin to money ratio.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 05:13 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #92
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
I think this guy made it pretty far on his Strom http://travellingstrom.com/
Interestingly, as I search for a new adventure bike, I have researched all the usual suspects and come to the conclusion that the DL 650 is the ideal adventure bike for long haul travel. The difficulty of some of the maintenance is offset by the fact that it is very rarely required. The other contender for me is a KLR650 because it is so damned cheap and easy to fix but I think I might get bored on the highways if I went that way.

Please don't judge all Englishmen by the standards of this particular gentleman - we are a heterogeneous and well traveled bunch, usually open-minded although the occasional aberration does, of course, occur.

COI owned many bikes, mostly Japanese and lastly a new Triumph, with which I was extremely pleased. Would not consider BMWs current crop given the reputation that have amassed in two short years since release (F650/800 series).
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #93
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 995
As has already been mentioned, the best bike depends on just how knarly you want to go off road. EVERY bike has its limit. Those pics of where the V-Stroms had ridden were pretty impressive but that was getting near the limit for those bikes. That stuff is a yawn for my KTM and I used to have a V-Strom so I know the difference. But in dirt racing circles my KTM is a huge heavy beast and I've turned back on some stuff because my bike was just too big. It's all relative. Seems like a 650 single is a good compromise but too small if you want to go two-up....except for the 650 V-Strom(which is a twin) I'm kind of spoiled with my KTM. OK but not great on the highway, good gas mileage, and fantastic off road, but two up forget it and its too high tech for a true world touring bike. I still like the GS800 but have not owned one so no chance to get jaded
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #94
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock View Post
Interestingly, as I search for a new adventure bike, I have researched all the usual suspects and come to the conclusion that the DL 650 is the ideal adventure bike for long haul travel.
I went through the same process, and came to the same conclusion. I even went as far as testing the theory "the simpler the better" by owning a KLR650 for 10,000 miles. Unfortunately it was a 2008 piece of junk that burned a lot of oil at highway speeds. Still under warranty, but Kawasaki would not support their product so I got rid of it. Even if they had fixed the problem, it was still not the right bike for me - uncomfortable, slow, poor gas mileage at highway speeds (barely better than my DL1000, 45mpg vs 40mpg), and not especially fun off-road.

When people say about the KLR "it's easy to fix anywhere", one of the things you have to ask is - how do they know this? It's because people are fixing them all the time. I believe any of the 650 singles are overstressed for most long-haul riding, and unless you really have to go lightweight (although they are not really that light) you're better off with a reliable, comfortable, economical twin, that's not too much heavier. A DL650 will match the fuel economy of the KLR, while producing twice the horsepower. Far more relaxed, understressed, fuel-injected and therefore less fussy starting and at altitude. While a Wee is not as easy to work on as a KLR, it's a rarity to hear of anyone actually having to do any...

Having said that... I sold my Wee. A short test ride on a Super Tenere convinced me it was the way of the future... as nimble as the Wee, but more power - like a Wee but with DL1000 horsepower, not to mention all the other nice tweaks.

It's going to be a great bike - but if I was being "sensible" I would have stuck with the Wee and saved a bunch of dough!

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 06:55 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #95
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
A thumbs up for the wee-strom from me too. It will go to the 95% of places a 950 goes, just not as fast.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #96
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
More really uninformed opinions of Strom riders proving my point. I'm not sure why these zealots are so angry at someone not liking their bikes but I can only conclude that there are serious issues with them. The Strom is a wide-appeal machine designed to attract the uninformed. Exactly the group you would expect to behave in this way. Fiercely territorial and supportive of their "choice" which was probably made for financial reasons or to copy the actions of a friend rather than an in informed way, ie by carefully thinking through the needs and applications of the bike and rider.
Anyone looking for a true adventure bike will see straight away that these do not fit the very definition except in a purely marketing sense any more than the new Super Tenere or Honda crossover offerings.
Please by all means carry on pushing your choice on others which is precisely the way a zealot behaves and is a severe mental shortcoming. I'm glad you're happy with your bikes but it's not for me and frankly, it's not the right answer to the proposed question.
I hope the OP is capable of seeing through the cliched american pompous arrogance and posturing and see what is going on here which is a bunch of people who have settled for a middle of the road bike not ideal for them.
I don't like Japanese bikes and I don't like the V-strom. I have owned a hell of a lot and find them (for the most part) souless mass produced products designed to plug gaps in the market. They rarely innovate, they immitate and occasionally they mix parts into something which kind of works to cross genres like sticking the V-engine into a touring frame. BMW, Triumph and KTM are built differently.
I expect more flaming but the truth is the truth. The Strom doesn't look like an adventure bike for a good reason. It isn't. If the OP faces the real possibility of winding up anywhere then he needs something a bit better. As for the presumptions about me which are incorrect and baseless I refer you again to the cliched american attitude which is why you viewed as a nation of loud buffoons who have nothing to say but insist on saying it loudly. Case in point.
At least you learned english,moohammud.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #97
cdo1uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I have to say weather you like the V strom or not, its all about personal taste and peoples personal opinions. I personally dont like the vstrom for many reasons, but thats my opinion. someone who has there own thoughts and doent follow the crowed isnt an idiot for saying so. I am saddened by the ignorance coming from here at people not liking their choice. please people, grow up.
cdo1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #98
Eduardo Cabreira
The "7"

Oddometer: 60
I would go with the Africa Twin!

Simple mechanics and a real mule.
1996 Yamaha XJR1200 Cup-specs (Couldnīt fight the wind anymore)
1997 Honda Africa Twin SM (Loved it but crashed it)
1997 Honda VT750 ACE (just act as if you didnīt read this)
1989 Yamaha PW80 (Second bike...first one with gears)
1982 Yamaha PW50 (first bike...stil have it!)
Eduardo Cabreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #99
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels View Post
At least you learned english,moohammud.
What the hell?
Mate this slagging people is getting a bit personal.
You are not coming across as big or clever.
I'm quite sure you wouldn't attempt to insult someone like this face to face so please stop.
BTW, its Mohamed not moohammud. I know, my better half is muslim.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #100
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
I've been giving this topic some more thought and have come up with this conclusion:

It's more important that you select a bike you are familiar with than any particular brand, model, etc. If you know a bike, inside and out, you will most likely not have a problem which you cannot fix on the road. For a RTW trip, it would be a good idea to gather up those parts that you could might need on the road and leave them with a friend at your home base. If necessary, you could have them shipped via UPS, DHL, Fed Ex, etc. The world is a pretty small place if you think about it. If it's an oddball part, well, you just figure out a way to get it ordered and wait for it to be delivered.

I, personally, wouldn't take a bike on an RTW trip that I hadn't put some miles on and done some wrenching on. I'd want to know that bike inside and out. Having said that, I could take just about anything and be successful with it.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #101
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo1uk View Post
I personally dont like the vstrom for many reasons, but thats my opinion. someone who has there own thoughts and doent follow the crowed isnt an idiot for saying so.
Iīm totally fine with it, if someone likes or doesnīt like the V-Strom (or any other bike for that matter)...

Where this one person made himself an idiot, was when he set himself on a mission to slag off a bike he obviously knows very little about, except that he happens to hate it. Could be a little different, if he actually had something to back up his claims. But it more or less stems from the simple fact of hating it. I also have my doubts, how much RTW-travel experience on a bike heīs got under his belt.

Personally, I am happy he hates it! But itīs up to the OP to decide, what he wants. He can choose to like or dislike this bike, nobody has to (or can) do it for him. And it is just one choice, nothing more. Sure there is a long list of others to consider, too.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 08:23 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #102
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I went through the same process, and came to the same conclusion. I even went as far as testing the theory "the simpler the better" by owning a KLR650 for 10,000 miles. Unfortunately it was a 2008 piece of junk that burned a lot of oil at highway speeds. Still under warranty, but Kawasaki would not support their product so I got rid of it. Even if they had fixed the problem, it was still not the right bike for me - uncomfortable, slow, poor gas mileage at highway speeds (barely better than my DL1000, 45mpg vs 40mpg), and not especially fun off-road.

When people say about the KLR "it's easy to fix anywhere", one of the things you have to ask is - how do they know this? It's because people are fixing them all the time. I believe any of the 650 singles are overstressed for most long-haul riding, and unless you really have to go lightweight (although they are not really that light) you're better off with a reliable, comfortable, economical twin, that's not too much heavier. A DL650 will match the fuel economy of the KLR, while producing twice the horsepower. Far more relaxed, understressed, fuel-injected and therefore less fussy starting and at altitude. While a Wee is not as easy to work on as a KLR, it's a rarity to hear of anyone actually having to do any...

Having said that... I sold my Wee. A short test ride on a Super Tenere convinced me it was the way of the future... as nimble as the Wee, but more power - like a Wee but with DL1000 horsepower, not to mention all the other nice tweaks.

It's going to be a great bike - but if I was being "sensible" I would have stuck with the Wee and saved a bunch of dough!

Trevor
Thanks for keeping on topic with reasoned and smart comments based on real experience! Spot on Trevor!

Sad you went through that '08 KLR Nightmare ... I have several friends who've done the same. One bought a brand new '08, did the 600 mile service and headed deep into Mexico for a 2 months ride ... only to find out the thing was using a quart of oil a day!! I think Kawi eventually covered him ... but this guy now rides a Versys and is very happy.

Another long time KLR rider friend bought the "new" KLR but kept his old one. He likes the new KLR better and just accepts it's oil use. His was rebuilt but STILL USES about half a quart every 1000 miles. Otherwise he loves it. BTW, his original KLR uses oil too! But not much. You can see his bike in my earlier Pic of the two Vstroms and KLR in the middle. That's Mike's bike.

My DR650 uses almost NO oil, now at 35,000 miles. This is typical for the DR650.

In my experience a well set up KLR can be comfortable and even perform well off road. I've owned two ... both near stock. Neither any good on or off road. Terrible brakes as stock and heavy feeling and ponderous off road. I rode my brand new '98 5500 miles across Baja and Mexico. Sold it after that trip.

But I've also ridden a couple really tricked out ones from the KLR.net guys. Night and Day difference Really not bad at all! But still slow and MPG not that great. But these tricked out KLR's felt 100 lbs. lighter weight off road and carved the twisty's with the best of them. Also, both had aftermarket seats ... huge difference and both had the big disc brakes and tricked out master cyc. and caliper. Good braking! (What a concept)

The KLR, if well set up and maintained, can be a decent travel bike. But things DO fail from time to time. But the fact is the KLR has been the #1 pick for North American riders heading to Tierra Del Fuego for a couple decades. Guys like Greg Frasier have immortalized the KLR ... and hundreds of followed in Greg's footsteps.

Yes, there have been problems with some KLR's but no more than any other bike you'll find on the road South. The Vstroms are easily the number one most reliable bike doing a RTW trek and nowadays we see more Stroms than just about any other bike on the road ... at least in these parts. (US/Canada going South)

I don't feel either the KLR or DR650 are overstressed in the least. But the Vstrom will always be better doing high altitude on a loaded bike. I've run my DR650 wide open at 90 or 100 mph for hours and hours in 115F heat.
So far so good. Since I ride with much bigger bikes on the street, the DR650 has to be wound out to the max just to keep up. It does. We have six DR's in our riding group. Only one has blown up.

Good luck with the Tenere'. IMO, Yamaha has produced a winner. Reports indicate it does very well off road for it's weight. Would love to hear your opinion on this after you've done some miles. Should be a deluxe travel bike and really fun to ride! Good luck! (I'm still hoping for the XTZ660!)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #103
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I'm English and I have no love for the Weestrom despite not having ridden one... but that's partly 'cos it's not the prettiest bike out there and partly 'cos a mate of mine bought one first and we can't have the same machine.
But I have no doubt it is capable of tackling some serious off-road going. That's 'cos I once went green laning with a rider on a CX500 and another on a faired GPZ1100. Luckily, we didn't have to get across a log or the exhaust pipes would have suffered.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #104
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
I'd say the DL650 with different suspension.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #105
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
So dennisthemenace... did we answer your question?