Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalt38 View Post
It's been 2 years - how's it doing/holding up? Are they still available? (the BMWBoxersupplies link shows it as NA (or at least disapeared from their site at this time).

I just had a look at the mileage I've put on it and it comes to 18790.2 kms or 11,676 miles. Yes I keep accurate records...... I gave it an inspection and re-grease last winter and no wear was showing. I had a bit of an issue of getting grease to go to each of the individual bearing cups - grease will follow the path of least resistance - but eventually everything took grease as needed. These are on and off road miles that I am putting on this unit. I have heard about the spider issues but so far this hasn't been my experience. When the time comes, I'll just upgrade the spiders/bearings to the latest and greatest. I'm very pleased with my purchase.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 542
Thanks Jackd - good to know!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
I had a few broken ones.(all bearing failure) Those were all from the first series which had a smaller bearing size than the stock BMW shaft.

Don't wait to long with the maintenance. When a bearing is broken or worn the outside of the bearing will start to spin in the shaft it self. Than its loose in the shaft and will wear the shaft even faster. I had to replace a shaft because of this...

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinorear View Post
Glad to see someone else found the same thing missing on the site. I was just wondering if it was just me.

I figure I'm on borrowed time in that I've got nearly 130,000 miles on the original........yes the original drive line.

Match that....huh....huh! Anybody......Anybody!

Original shaft went 252k kms in my '92 GSPD.

Photobucket

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #35
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

You win Lornce - no one is going to touch you mileage wise. Now please explain all the major wear on the yoke surfaces. Something must have let go.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
Rhinorear
Member Team Tarded

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Original shaft went 252k kms in my '92 GSPD.

Good One!

'09 Husky SM610
'08 Buell 1125R
'06 KTM 525 EXC EL TRACTOR
'94 BMW R100GS PD
'80 CT110
'72 GT380
Yamaha R1 350
ET AL

RIFF RAffer

l
Rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #37
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
You win Lornce - no one is going to touch you mileage wise. Now please explain all the major wear on the yoke surfaces. Something must have let go.

On the 2, I trashed, @ 20,000 and 64,000 miles . That's what they look like about 150-200 miles after you first sence somethings not right . The cups have cracked, rollers have broken . In one of mine 175 miles, 3 rollers were spit out of the blown end of the cup . The wear is the reality of the way they fail, and quickly . They really look ugly when pushed beyond a few hundred miles . That in my and friends expierences .
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #38
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Regarding the re-buildable shafts: can the early series be upgraded to the later joints?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #39
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Regarding the re-buildable shafts: can the early series be upgraded to the later joints?
I hope the answer to that is yes.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Yes they can.
I just had two of them re-build with the new type bearings.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Yes they can.
I just had two of them re-build with the new type bearings.
Where are the bearings purchased from? I'm guessing with these improved bearings, we now have a bullet-proof unit, which is now hopefully worry free? If these are available for online purchase, a link to the site would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Where are the bearings purchased from? I'm guessing with these improved bearings, we now have a bullet-proof unit, which is now hopefully worry free? If these are available for online purchase, a link to the site would be very much appreciated.
Mine came from The Boxertoko in the Netherlands.
They were the first ones to be re-build with the new type bearings.
Could be that the website is not up to date yet.

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/krui...dan-p-276.html

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Mine came from The Boxertoko in the Netherlands.
They were the first ones to be re-build with the new type bearings.
Could be that the website is not up to date yet.

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/krui...dan-p-276.html
19mmX48mm???? Or I should say same size as the OEMs R100GS which btw is same size as every BMW driveshaft all the way to now.

If that size looks like they are also available from other suppliers. You guys can check the Elbe 106 series, the "later" GS guys are using them for DIY rebuilds. Untested yet the DIY but we are digging up the info right now for someone in England looking at rebuilding a K driveshaft.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #44
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Prutser - I just followed your link and it came up with the greasable replacements for the original OEM BMW driveshaft (p/n 2618850) and so I am starting to wonder about whether or not everyone is on the same page here. I'm talking about the Taiwanese replacment unit that I bought a few years ago (Illustrated above). Lornce gave us nice shiny pics of his beaten to death original shaft and I'm thinking that you might be talking about this variety of shaft - not the Taiwanese one. If anyone else is having problems keeping all this straight, please chime in.

The online site for Motorworks BMW describes the Taiwanese shaft as being equipped with larger u-joints than the OEM variety and are therefore harder to slip into the swingarm during installation. Are these 'larger' u-joints failing and being re-designed? As I say, mine is providing good service and I am curious if these shafts are being re-fitted with new bits to provide trouble free service.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #45
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Prutser - I just followed your link and it came up with the greasable replacements for the original OEM BMW driveshaft (p/n 2618850) and so I am starting to wonder about whether or not everyone is on the same page here. I'm talking about the Taiwanese replacment unit that I bought a few years ago (Illustrated above). Lornce gave us nice shiny pics of his beaten to death original shaft and I'm thinking that you might be talking about this variety of shaft - not the Taiwanese one. If anyone else is having problems keeping all this straight, please chime in.

The online site for Motorworks BMW describes the Taiwanese shaft as being equipped with larger u-joints than the OEM variety and are therefore harder to slip into the swingarm during installation. Are these 'larger' u-joints failing and being re-designed? As I say, mine is providing good service and I am curious if these shafts are being re-fitted with new bits to provide trouble free service.
I'm talking about the shaft thats on your picture. They didn't have bigger u-joints than the original shafts. They had smaller ones. The new version has bigger size u-joints.
The outside diam of the old and new bearings didn't change the inside did.
The first series of those shafts had a problem with the size. They would not go through the swing arm because they were just to thick. A few spins af an angle grinder can fix that

I didn't measure the size of the u-joint bearings my self but this info came from Mat from the boxertoko.
Now they should have the same size as the original bmw shaft.

R100GS'91 (sold)