Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #241
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Ben - progress is looking good. I take it you got the new forks in from Lukas? Did you end up keeping ABS or ditching that too?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #242
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Easiest way for the F8 to lose weight

Goes without saying...forget about making the bike lighter, fix yourself first.

Seriously -> what's 4lbs on the exhaust can, 2 lbs on the front end, 1.5 lbs lighter in tools if you are carrying around 40 lbs extra weight.

Think about doing yourself a favor before you touch your bike.

My F8 is perfect in stock condition, I am not!

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #243
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Are you calling Ben fat?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #244
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Not at all -> Should I?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #245
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Been an interesting few weeks on my own quest to lighten my bike. I am now riding with folks who have the new Super Tenere and 800 XC and have had some opportunity to run head to head. Short of competition from the KTM 9XX, my mostly stock bike still runs head and shoulders above the others on the metric of "what can I do with it" and "how high can I jump it".

What interests me is the performance of the bike. I find it hard to believe that thousands of dollars of modifications (that includes the labor of love and time investment) to scrape off a mere 15 to 35 lbs from stock could be worthwhile when those of us who ride are not in optimal condition.

Entertaining for a second the notion that the bike needs to lose weight instead of myself I guess that in order of cost vs gain (aka bang for the buck) I'd say that:
1) aftermarket exhaust - can lose between 4 and 8 ish lbs
2) ABS system removal (back to the basics and non-abs) what's that about 13lbs of free weight
3) front end re-design to drop the dual rotors and lose the dead weight of the stock mud guard system (something like 4lbs of dead weight off the front end)
4) upgrade the battery to a gel - some say this may be as much as 6 lbs weight savings.
5) drop storage to the bottom (ie put your tools and fluids down low instead of at seat level)
6) Use lighter tires -> you'd be surprised how much those $200 "Dual Sport" tires weigh. Think about saving up to 20 lbs just by using lighter tires.

But in reality - the best thing you can do is optimize your own body mass. At 145lbs I launched my (entirely stock at the time) F8 about 15 feet into the air and landed it just fine (higher than most of the "professional" videos). No special equipment. Not on a track or spec'd facility. Just out having fun on a dirt road in the sandhills. I'm now about 175 after breaking my tib/fib and having implanted metal from my knee to my heal. That 30 lbs of additional body weight has made all the difference in how the bike handles while I'm on it. Sheitte but a lot of that is my still not healed leg.

All in all it's what each of us thinks is important that matters -> just have fun out there and drop weight however you think is appropriate.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #246
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Hey Ben,

Lookin good so far! Can't wait to see how it all comes together and what it weighs in at.

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #247
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Ben - progress is looking good. I take it you got the new forks in from Lukas? Did you end up keeping ABS or ditching that too?
SOON!!!!!

and I'm really really thinking of pulling the BSS er ABS stuff off.... Just don't really no where to start in the removal...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #248
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Goes without saying...forget about making the bike lighter, fix yourself first.

Seriously -> what's 4lbs on the exhaust can, 2 lbs on the front end, 1.5 lbs lighter in tools if you are carrying around 40 lbs extra weight.

Think about doing yourself a favor before you touch your bike.

My F8 is perfect in stock condition, I am not!
I completely agree. We can all be stronger or leaner, but that doesn't change the basic fact that unsprung weight and top heavy weight (non body of course) changes the way the bike handles. You could go the opposite as well - why bother losing weight from your body if you can drop 20lbs from the bike, eh? Which is harder: spending $1000 on parts or dropping 20lbs of fat
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #249
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Ben,

Lookin good so far! Can't wait to see how it all comes together and what it weighs in at.

Dave
Thanks!!

as for dropping weight, I should be on track to drop quite a few....

things to come:
- WP 48mm forks
- Single disk rotor front
- high fender
- trailtech HID racelight.... which BTW is HUGE!!!! pictures just don't do this thing justice... Cant wait to mount it!!
- lighter battery.... I held a soriah (SP? ) and its amazing how light it is!
- 18" rear wheel (Decided to spend the 500 ish $'s on a wheel instead of a DSLR)
- HDB gaurds
- magura hydro clutch (neat little thing - super simple and basic, curious to give it a good shakedown)
- remove passenger pegs (hacksaw is ready just waiting for the right moment )
- TT tank valves (per Oso Blanco's thread - ability to switch open the petcocks while riding)
- BRP chain guide (also like Oso Blanco and others)
- Might change the bashplate.... looking for somthing that is easier to fit and remove but also has a toolbox.... (hey Dave reading this....? )
- Looking for some major help side fairing wise as well.... when I remove the TT tank I still want to go have fun somewhere say for an enduro or such.... but I don't wanna run the expensive stock fairings... can or has anyone out there pulled a mold plug off their stock fairings and tried to duplicate them? I basically want to build out of CF or fiberglass a enduro fairing set that I can smash up and not worry about.... kinda like what wunderlich did:

- Going to mill Al radiator brackets... the stock ones seem flimsy just being a piece of plastic.... thoughts?
- since ditching the pelicans and running just a giantloop I need to trim down my top rack and I am also toying with how I can use a giantloop with a passenger (also need to figure out a way to strap the loop with passenger pegs removed... )
- now PLEASE don't ask why but im toying with the idea of doing this with the exhaust:

Im trying not to copy lostrider but he built my dream F800GS and therefor I am building mine close to his, my main difference however is the WP front end and instead of cutting my from frame headlight bracket, this thing:

I am going to cut a mill a plastic block rather than cut the stock piece. Finn cut the bracket right around the number 7 arrow

Motorfiets screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 10:56 PM
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #250
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

as of NOW....

I am going to BED!!!! 6 AM I will be wheels up with a loaded plane flying a mission team to Haiti

I hope to get a hold of a bike down there and do a mini haitian ride report!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #251
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Not at all -> Should I?

most recent photo.... anyone recognize the other two people?

doing final calculations for tmrw's flight.... I tipped the scale at 182.4 pounds shoes, jeans, included also WITH a full packpack of gear for 7 days
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #252
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Wow, it's funny how similar your plans are to mine, even down to the WP forks!

Already have most things either on order or sitting at home, just waiting until I get back in April. Main difference is that I'm keeping the ABS and dual rotors up front.

I'll be interested to see just how you end up mounting the headlight without cutting the bracket like Finn did though... I can't see how there would be enough clearance there. It'd be nice not to have to hack up the bike if I don't have to though, so I look forward to seeing what exactly you've come up with.

Good luck, and post plenty of pics!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #253
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 668

Any links to a "How To"? I've been wanting to do this as well. My google-foo is weak today!
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #254
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 668
Doh! found it.....

HERE in case anyone else is interested!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594334
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #255
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post

Credit where credit is due.. I just copied Indy's project!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote