Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #256
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
I'll be interested to see just how you end up mounting the headlight without cutting the bracket like Finn did though... I can't see how there would be enough clearance there. It'd be nice not to have to hack up the bike if I don't have to though, so I look forward to seeing what exactly you've come up with.
There's a guy, I forget who, in the Orange Crust forum that is using a dual 8" HID from Baja Designs and he uses a bracket similar to the one on the front of the F800GS to mount the lights. It was a 950 Super Enduro... I'm sure it can be found without too much trouble.

That said, making a bracket to mount the lights to the standard bmw bracket is not super difficult for a good welder.

EDIT: here we go.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=194

señormoto screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 01:50 PM
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #257
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
well...... said screw it and cut the frame....

VERY HAPPY!!

and for the inspiration

Motorfiets screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 03:40 PM
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #258
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
That looks great! (of course I'm a little partial to this design)

I really like that front wheel you go going there! :loll
Wait till you get that light on the road and when you tip it up watch people scatter out of your way.

Nice job Ben, may this version of your 8GS bring you many miles of fun.

-Finn

BTW, don't weigh your bike..... I did and still haven't recovered.... it actually has been really messing with my head when I'm looking at going in tough places.... seriously.

Mine's 485 with a half tank of gas and no luggage.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #259
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
That looks great! (of course I'm a little partial to this design)

I really like that front wheel you go going there! :loll
Wait till you get that light on the road and when you tip it up watch people scatter out of your way.

Nice job Ben, may this version of your 8GS bring you many miles of fun.

-Finn

BTW, don't weigh your bike..... I did and still haven't recovered.... it actually has been really messing with my head when I'm looking at going in tough places.... seriously.

Mine's 485 with a half tank of gas and no luggage.
Thanks dude!!!

P.S. - I didn't steal your picture! It was linked on another website and I just linked it from there.

now for a little update....
a box of goodies showed up!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #260
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Goes without saying...forget about making the bike lighter, fix yourself first.

Seriously -> what's 4lbs on the exhaust can, 2 lbs on the front end, 1.5 lbs lighter in tools if you are carrying around 40 lbs extra weight.

Think about doing yourself a favor before you touch your bike.

My F8 is perfect in stock condition, I am not!
Hilarious and timely as I recently read a Cycle magazine reviewing some super bikes with detailed descriptions of weight and horsepower and how one reviewer had a preference for the lighter bike - while both reviewers were in excess of 230 lbs. I guess the days of jockey-sized racers is long gone and bike qualities like comfort are sacrificed simply to increase speed and power for riders that are probably 50 lbs over weight! Just a little bit ironic....
Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #261
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

school has kept me CRAZY busy but I managed an alone time with me and the girl. We accomplished alot!

47T rear

ability to move the plate up and back when I have the stock 41/42 T sprocket on.

had to fabricate a steering stop

magura clutch

frame bracket removed and painted

flash made everything look rusted....

Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #262
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
school has kept me CRAZY busy but I managed an alone time with me and the girl. We accomplished alot!
Looking good. It's painful to have it all apart and not be riding isn't it?

I just got my 18" woody's wheel (sealed and running a MT-21) and PC-V + AutoTune that I'll be installing this weekend.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #263
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post

VERY!!!!!!

I just got my 18" woody's wheel (sealed and running a MT-21) and PC-V + AutoTune that I'll be installing this weekend.
wish I had the money for that! even using my trashed hub It'll be over $500.....
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #264
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
wish I had the money for that! even using my trashed hub It'll be over $500.....
Tell me about it.. the wheel was about $1350 all told: new hub, sprocket, abs-ring adapter, sealing, superlace, etc.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #265
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Tell me about it.. the wheel was about $1350 all told: new hub, sprocket, abs-ring adapter, sealing, superlace, etc.
ouch!

p.s. - Thanks again for the BRP plate! I ended up using my different than what you had planned. Currently I have a 47T rear sprocket on for trail riding. That being said the mounting setup you had didn't bring the BRP low enough. BUT! I did however use the plate and modified it to work rather nicely if I may say so myself
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #266
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
ouch!

p.s. - Thanks again for the BRP plate! I ended up using my different than what you had planned. Currently I have a 47T rear sprocket on for trail riding. That being said the mounting setup you had didn't bring the BRP low enough. BUT! I did however use the plate and modified it to work rather nicely if I may say so myself
Yeah it looks like you flipped the bracket to get it to sit lower. Looks good and I prefer the rounded corners. I have a 44T sprocket on the 18" wheel (the whole wheel+tire is surprisingly a lot taller than the stock 17" with knobbies, by at least a full inch or more), so I'll see if that changes how the BRP mounts up, might have to cut a new bracket and make it like yours.

I got my Scheffelmeier Metall crankcase guard today! It looks SO nice. Can't wait to put it on.

What are you doing for your front wheel? Are you going to a single rotor and if so what master cylinder are you gonna use? Lukas is shipping me a KTM 525 brembo MC -- apparently the smaller diameter bore gives better modulation when you go from a dual to single caliper system.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #267
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah it looks like you flipped the bracket to get it to sit lower. Looks good and I prefer the rounded corners. I have a 44T sprocket on the 18" wheel (the whole wheel+tire is surprisingly a lot taller than the stock 17" with knobbies, by at least a full inch or more), so I'll see if that changes how the BRP mounts up, might have to cut a new bracket and make it like yours.

I got my Scheffelmeier Metall crankcase guard today! It looks SO nice. Can't wait to put it on.

What are you doing for your front wheel? Are you going to a single rotor and if so what master cylinder are you gonna use? Lukas is shipping me a KTM 525 brembo MC -- apparently the smaller diameter bore gives better modulation when you go from a dual to single caliper system.
Wheel wise it is a 950 super enduro take off. Brake wise... single rotor front. I have a MC off a 950 I am going to try. If that doesn't work I will try the same thing and go for a smaller dirt bike style MC.

Are you worried at all about bottoming out against the inner wheel well with the 18" ?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #268
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Wheel wise it is a 950 super enduro take off. Brake wise... single rotor front. I have a MC off a 950 I am going to try. If that doesn't work I will try the same thing and go for a smaller dirt bike style MC.

Are you worried at all about bottoming out against the inner wheel well with the 18" ?
Lukas said the 950 MC will likely have a stiff feel on the single rotor setup, but worth a shot if you already have it on hand. I'm not terribly worried about bottoming out against the fender on the rear, but who knows.. it might be possible
Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #269
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:

I would really like to know how the pc5 with auto tune...... Works out.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #270
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Ben,

The 950/990 MC has the same bore as the stock F800GS one. Since you are going to move half the fluid volume with only one caliper, it's going to give you a very stiff feel, but try it out. Lost Rider liked it.

You will also find that with that MC the fit with the large right side BMW switch is pretty tight, but it worked on my bike. For Matt's bike we used a KTM dirt bike MC for the smaller piston and it clears everything nicely, although that is with an ASV lever. Looks half the size of the bobblehead MC and there is no reservoir to break off!